Alternative heat source

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

We had it growing up. It wasn’t horrible. The heat is incredible.

Yes it’s good heat , I’ve just worked with so much coal I get tired of the mess. Although pulverized coal is messier than lump or briquette. It’s just a pain to clean up. 

6 hours ago, Pete said:

I’m now seriously considering coal. Most efficient heat available.

6 hours ago, f7ben said:

It’s a real mess 

I heated with coal for years in NH. Most of the time it was with a traditional coal stove with a mixture of nut and stove coal. It can get messy and dusty when shaking it down and emptying the ashes.

The last 4 or 5 years I had an automatic stoker stove that burned rice coal. Just fill the hopper and set the thermostat to your desired temp and the feeder pushes the coal to the burn chamber. Still a bit dusty, but so is wood. Unlike a pellet stove, it only required seasonal cleaning.

For powering it during power outages I bought an old standby UPS power backup for computers and bypassed the small used up batteries and used 2 deep cycle batteries. When the power went out the UPS kicked on and kept the stove going.

What does a ton of coal go for now? It was up to about $250/ton the last time I used it.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, ckf said:

I heated with coal for years in NH. Most of the time it was with a traditional coal stove with a mixture of nut and stove coal. It can get messy and dusty when shaking it down and emptying the ashes.

The last 4 or 5 years I had an automatic stoker stove that burned rice coal. Just fill the hopper and set the thermostat to your desired temp and the feeder pushes the coal to the burn chamber. Still a bit dusty, but so is wood. Unlike a pellet stove, it only required seasonal cleaning.

For powering it during power outages I bought an old standby UPS power backup for computers and bypassed the small used up batteries and used 2 deep cycle batteries. When the power went out the UPS kicked on and kept the stove going.

What does a ton of coal go for now? It was up to about $250/ton the last time I used it.

$170/ ton  this time last year, $450 ish bulk is what I heard yesterday, and we're only 25 minute ride to the mine.

Damn capitalists anyways....:news:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, XCR1250 said:

I'm having a hard time giving wood away, all hard Maple.

People that burn wood are dying off. It’s been on a steady decline for the last 7-8 years. I stopped selling it in 2012. 

2 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

People that burn wood are dying off. It’s been on a steady decline for the last 7-8 years. I stopped selling it in 2012. 

Not here , wood has been in the steady increase 

1 minute ago, spin_dry said:

It remains strong in many western states as well. 

Cut split oak seasoned one year is going for $225-$250 per cord delivered. Last year that was a break even with fuel oil or propane. I’d assume wood will offer a savings this year and prices will continue to increase 

1 minute ago, f7ben said:

Cut split oak seasoned one year is going for $225-$250 per cord delivered. Last year that was a break even with fuel oil or propane. I’d assume wood will offer a savings this year and prices will continue to increase 

In “12 when I stopped cutting it had fallen to $100. I was basically giving it away. It recovered but not enough to get me back into it before selling off my land and tractor. Cost of firewood bundles vary hugely around the western US. 

3 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

In “12 when I stopped cutting it had fallen to $100. I was basically giving it away. It recovered but not enough to get me back into it before selling off my land and tractor. Cost of firewood bundles vary hugely around the western US. 

As does the cost of NG and Electricity. Indiana was 30-40% cheaper for fossil fuels than MN. Insane cheap

7 hours ago, spin_dry said:

We were buying 12 loggers cords for $750-$800 4 years ago.

Here the National Forest sells permits for $25 to cut dead, dying, down wood. 

fire wood pricing this is how it breaks down. if a load 10 cd is sold to a cutnsplit dealer. he will pay around $130 a cd. out of that 130 comes stumpage to the land owner the logger gets some and then the trucking. no one is getting rich. but now the dealer will cut n split it and deliver to the home owner. green always was$250 and air dry 275 i would expect that is a bit low now. the cutnsplit guy makes 120 to 200 or more per cd and always complains wines cry's

4 minutes ago, snowstorm said:

fire wood pricing this is how it breaks down. if a load 10 cd is sold to a cutnsplit dealer. he will pay around $130 a cd. out of that 130 comes stumpage to the land owner the logger gets some and then the trucking. no one is getting rich. but now the dealer will cut n split it and deliver to the home owner. green always was$250 and air dry 275 i would expect that is a bit low now. the cutnsplit guy makes 120 to 200 or more per cd and always complains wines cry's

My buddy burns 20 cords a year in his boiler. He pays $1000 for a 12cord load of tamarack although I’m sure it’s higher now just due to fuel

Guys here with wood processors are paying 750-800 right now for log truck loads of nice straight hardwood probably 6- 7 chords worth.  Not sure but I think they're at 275-295/chord delivered.  Green not seasoned.

Just now, hayward said:

Guys here with wood processors are paying 750-800 right now for log truck loads of nice straight hardwood probably 6- 7 chords worth.  Not sure but I think they're at 275-295/chord delivered.  Green not seasoned.  Nobody's getting rich, but there is mostly cash involved.:whistle:

On 6/16/2022 at 3:05 PM, Pete said:

Winter will be here soon and with Biden’s oil prices I don’t can’t or want  to buy oil.

Pellet stove or wood stove. I’ve had pellet before but man they are expensive. Initial cost thing. Wood stove doesn’t seem much cheaper.

what to do..

Shut up the shack turn the h20 off at the street and move in with the spin in his van in some random guys driveway in AZ for the winter .

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, spin_dry said:

Shoveling coal. :lol: 

Honestly if you can get it it burns extremely hot and lasts a long time . I had a bud who was a semi pro blacksmith . I would buy big bags from him to toss in my cabin wood stove . We talked about finding some for our super small  trail shelter stove  . Just not super abundant in MN unless you k own a guy who works in the  becker plant or somthing