Alternative heat source

10 hours ago, Mainecat said:

Dried cordwood that was 250. To 275. delivered last year is 400.  Now.

Everyone is a capitalist now.   

:lol:just how the fuck would you know what's all involved, anyway?  Fucking idiot.:lol:

Edited by hayward

9 hours ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

Yup.. very happy so far and the A/C works very well too. I think you can get them without AC or vice versa. We got this unit late summer and was real impressed on how well it cooled the area it was in but we definitely need another for the other half........and so unbelievably quiet.

They have heat pumps without ac and vice versa. We have a Mitsubishi ac split and like you said super quiet and I was worried about how it's going to cool the house but it does and I'm impressed. It was $5K CDN installed and worth it

• Like 2

if anyone is thinking about burning wood either cut n split or split it yourself buy it today or at least get on the list. there will be a shortage and the price will go up. i have been a logging contractor for 40 yrs and i have never seen this many guys give up. for the liberal city boys that say $6 fuel dosent matter. you have no idea. kerosene is $8.50 at the store down the road. back to fire wood if you can find ash buy it . it dose not need to dry. but with the ash borer killing every ash tree south of here. the old saying was a cd of wood is equal to 200 gal of oil

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
28 minutes ago, snowstorm said:

if anyone is thinking about burning wood either cut n split or split it yourself buy it today or at least get on the list. there will be a shortage and the price will go up. i have been a logging contractor for 40 yrs and i have never seen this many guys give up. for the liberal city boys that say $6 fuel dosent matter. you have no idea. kerosene is $8.50 at the store down the road. back to fire wood if you can find ash buy it . it dose not need to dry. but with the ash borer killing every ash tree south of here. the old saying was a cd of wood is equal to 200 gal of oil

I have a pile of ash ready to split as everyone of them on my property is dead.

13 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

Well be damn careful cutting them down if they're still standing.  Can't believe how they decay internally so fast standing.  Fucking limbs brittle as hell above your head too.  Much different than the oaks when they stand dead for a couple years and still have some character left to them inside that's pretty stout.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hayward said:

Well be damn careful cutting them down if they're still standing.  Can't believe how they decay internally so fast standing.  Fucking limbs brittle as hell above your head too.  Much different than the oaks when they stand dead for a couple years and still have some character left to them inside that's pretty stout.

We have a ton of Oak on our lot that has the hairy moss on them that's apparently killing them. The ones we cut down are still pretty solid and good hardwood. I've got a couple of face cords I split last summer using it for the campfire.

21 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Typical clown can’t read and especially comprehend.

You are the enemy!!!!! Nothing you say has any value on this site! Go away!!!!

:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
14 minutes ago, ckf said:

You are the enemy!!!!! Nothing you say has any value on this site! Go away!!!!

Good god…no kidding. This place is full of bitchy little mean girls all congregating at the same lunch table.🤣

• Like 2

• Gold Member
52 minutes ago, Pete said:

Yeah that’s why I’m starting now to look into this endeavor. I really like this one but it’s pricey.

https://www.vermontcastings.com/products/montpelier-ii-wood-burning-insert

Damn. We sold a vermont castings stove for $500 at a tag sale after my dad passed away about 8 years ago, they couldn't give us the money fast enough. :lol:

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

You see how it works here. A nice thread that you add your personal experiences and advice. 
Then a uncalled for personal shot from a non member.

I get it. It's nice to have a few non political threads that stay on track.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mainecat said:

Dried cordwood that was 250. To 275. delivered last year is 400.  Now.

Everyone is a capitalist now.   

Lord.  $650 here last year.  This year ought to be interesting.  Luckily I have plenty along with 3 cherry trees and a big ole oak to chop up.

Like others, not doing it for money but solely for the exercise and being able to burn something.  Most of it gets fired up outside hanging out with friends.

2 hours ago, steve from amherst said:

Cut down 4 monster Ash trees last fall - 30” bar wouldn’t go through two of them.

737F9606-F19D-4A86-841D-51BF89C09CC3.jpeg
Made a nice privacy wall for the nosey neighbor (this was just the first two)

80D1D168-F50A-4E7F-8D26-B84BEBD7E8D8.jpeg

Edited by Mag6240

2 minutes ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

I have been heating 100% with wood pellets and shelled corn since 2017.

OWB1.jpg

About $8000 all in with house heat.  Put in $2500 or so into upgrades for garage and dog kennel heat.

Burns about 7 tons a year or so.

Neal

That’s a nifty setup , how did that vaccine work out at preventing contraction and transmission ? :lol: 

Just now, NaturallyAspirated said:

Good!

Carry my vaccine card in my wallet next to my condom!

Sold any cars or boats with a loose flywheel lately?  :lol:

Neal

• Gold Member
2 hours ago, Pete said:

Yeah that’s why I’m starting now to look into this endeavor. I really like this one but it’s pricey.

https://www.vermontcastings.com/products/montpelier-ii-wood-burning-insert

Those are nice. I looked at a Vermont casting wood stove in the showroom recently as I’ve been thinking of throwing a wood stove in. Waiting to see what they say my propane lock price will be and then decide.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

Good!

Carry my vaccine card in my wallet next to my condom!

Sold any cars or boats with a loose flywheel lately?  :lol:

Neal

Vax card... :lol: