GM pulls a great Ford impression

8 hours ago, Cat45 said:

After owning 5 7.3 psd and well over a million miles on them then switching to a 6.7 i can honestly say I'd rather drive a focus than another 7.3. Absolutely gutless, won't start in the cold, pos 4spd junk fucking truck ever. I used to go through 2 transmissions per engine, 2 engines then part out the truck. My last 6.7 had 775k when i sold it, pushing 800k now. Its still on the original transmission, rearend, transfer case. 2nd engine. 

I had 4 of them on the road at one time.  They sure had a couple of achilles heels, but nothing like the modern stuff seems to have.  775k....yikes.  I miled up one to about 350 before I sold the company, the others were between approx 150-250k.  The motors basically outlast the rest of the truck.  I could do those clutch master cylinder repairs on the side of the road with my eyes closed at one point, brakes too.  :lol: 

36 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

I had 4 of them on the road at one time.  They sure had a couple of achilles heels, but nothing like the modern stuff seems to have.  775k....yikes.  I miled up one to about 350 before I sold the company, the others were between approx 150-250k.  The motors basically outlast the rest of the truck.  I could do those clutch master cylinder repairs on the side of the road with my eyes closed at one point, brakes too.  :lol: 

The new stuff definitely has more things to go wrong but the performance is worth it imo. Both 6.7s I've had were pretty good. The 11 sent a rod through the block at 400k but that was about it for major problems. Electrical has been the biggest issue, the wiring starts falling apart and it can be a bitch to troubleshoot 

12 hours ago, BOHICA said:

Small block gm v8 are the most reliable thing EVAh!!!  They go a billion miles with just oil changes!

Ummmm..... 180,000 on my current 6.0. No issues. Suck it, bish.

11 hours ago, ACE said:

Yup no questions asked.  They ordered me a crate engine in warranty 

Well at least GM is covering it unlike Ford with their abomination of a 6.0. The  actual reason I went with the HD and I couldn't be happier.

12 hours ago, ACE said:

2021. I googled it and nothing came up but that’s what happened to mine. Oil Pressure regulator solenoid 

Do yourself a favor and flip it as soon as it is fixed. I know you're a GM guy, but your problems are just beginning. 

Quick Gm Truck update for you. Consumer Reports has given the 2021 Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra a reliability rating of 1 out of 5.

• Haha 1

Haven’t seen it happen on a 6.6 yet but many 5.3 and 6.2’s.  The variable oil pump has a pin that the cam ring rotates on.  The cam cracks at the pin and then the step that the crack creates can cause the vanes to jam and break away from the rotor.  At that point it’s metal into the oil galleries and zero oil pressure.  Most times the pump might make noise and engine light comes on because the pump is stuck on the lower pressure output but the engine survives.  

12 hours ago, Cat45 said:

Never driven 1 of those but I'm thinking of ditching the diesel for a 7.3 gas on the next truck. Total cost to run it down the road should be alot less. 10k cheaper to start, way cheaper maintenance, no cp4 bullshit to worry about.  Crate motors are 1 /2 what a diesel is. Mpg towing and empty is very similar to my dually

I did too. If you plan on keeping it the gas is a better deal. And these new gassers have as much or more TQ than the older diesels 

2 hours ago, irv said:

Do yourself a favor and flip it as soon as it is fixed. I know you're a GM guy, but your problems are just beginning. 

Quick Gm Truck update for you. Consumer Reports has given the 2021 Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra a reliability rating of 1 out of 5.

I’ve had a lot of new GM’s and this is by far the worst thing that’s ever happened on warranty. Wife’s 2018 suburban has been really good. See what happens here.