Dodge Ram or Nissan Titan XD

Sksman

Well having owned 2 titan xd's this year I feel I can chime in here. There are some stupid great deals on left over 16's but they aren't consistent between one truck to the next. Too many hens in the hen house between nissan, cummins and aisin. Lots of calibration issues and some minor to major cummins repairs. 

But with that said if you do get a good titan it's a great truck.

But I am definitely put off this whole modern diesel EPA crap they have lost there shine.

3 minutes ago, atc said:

Well having owned 2 titan xd's this year I feel I can chime in here. There are some stupid great deals on left over 16's but they aren't consistent between one truck to the next. Too many hens in the hen house between nissan, cummins and aisin. Lots of calibration issues and some minor to major cummins repairs. 

But with that said if you do get a good titan it's a great truck.

But I am definitely put off this whole modern diesel EPA crap they have lost there shine.

Hard to believe burning more fuel is better for the environment.

How come you got a new Titan.  Didnt you just get the other one not long ago?

1 hour ago, Sksman said:

So Ram hemi or Ram Eco diesel or Nissan Titan Diesel?

I have a bud with a eco diesel he like the truck but having issues with electrical system . mainly keeps getting stranded with a truck that wont even try to start because it says under 11volts or some such thing . the 2 battery thing did not work. they did a few flashes and sensors . think it is getting traded in real soon

3 minutes ago, Sksman said:

Hard to believe burning more fuel is better for the environment.

How come you got a new Titan.  Didnt you just get the other one not long ago?

It's been an eventful year for me with trucks. But I got a great deal to trade up from my sv premium titan with 30,000 trouble free km to a base pro4x which was 20,000 of very troubled km's. But I have now gone back to the dark side of ford. I can't complain I have gotten the same or more as trade value then I paid for my trade ins. 

I will say if you like attention the titan diesel gets it. Every gas station, driving, camp grounds etc... the wife almost got sick of everyone asking about it.

10 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

I have a bud with a eco diesel he like the truck but having issues with electrical system . mainly keeps getting stranded with a truck that wont even try to start because it says under 11volts or some such thing . the 2 battery thing did not work. they did a few flashes and sensors . think it is getting traded in real soon

I have no confidence in any modern diesel. I am around them all and they all have issues. 

1 hour ago, Sksman said:

So Ram hemi or Ram Eco diesel or Nissan Titan Diesel?

You said the ram hemi,  what about the regular titan. I would have got one over the ford but nissan dealers were at most $45000 trade value for my titan diesel ford dealer gave me $50,000.

14 minutes ago, atc said:

I have no confidence in any modern diesel. I am around them all and they all have issues. 

and the towing MPG is shit with them now also. they took everything that made oil burners great and took it all away .

U could not pay me to buy a modern oil burner

9 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

and the towing MPG is shit with them now also. they took everything that made oil burners great and took it all away .

Yep

I was hoping the 5L cummins being almost 12 yrs old would have been ready to go, but not yet.

10 hours ago, atc said:

The FIL had a 2015 F250 diesel.  He put about 60k on it and the truck just shut down one day.  It ended up having electrical, high pressure fuel pump problems.  Also said there was gel in the fuel tank and couldn't get the fuel to ignite.  This happened about 2 months ago and still don't have it running.  Dealer ended up putting him into a new F250 with the 6.2 in it.

10 hours ago, Ez ryder said:

Less than a thousand bucks to delete and tune all that shit off them on a gm. I heard the eco diesels were losing the cam gear timing. Has caused quite a few catastrophic failures. 

Edited by Glenn in Caledon

1 minute ago, 04nightfire said:

The FIL had a 2015 F250 diesel.  He put about 60k on it and the truck just shut down one day.  It ended up having electrical, high pressure fuel pump problems.  Also said there was gel in the fuel tank and couldn't get the fuel to ignite.  This happened about 2 months ago and still don't have it running.  Dealer ended up putting him into a new F250 with the 6.2 in it.

But to be fair it's a Ford and their diesels have been unreliable since they left the 7.3l in 2003.

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 8:00 AM, Glenn in Caledon said:

Less than a thousand bucks to delete and tune all that shit off them on a gm. I heard the eco diesels were losing the cam gear timing. Has caused quite a few catastrophic failures. 

yeah that's what I want to do totally void the warranty on my new 60k truck .

I see no redeeming quality's left on modern oil burners for the light truck market . unless u wear  flat bill caps and feel the need to have a 800hp parking lot dyno queen

Edited by Ez ryder
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Glenn in Caledon said:

Delete is great but when you have the MOE doing road side checks all over the gta. It makes it tough

• Like 1

i was very interested in the ram diesel for the gas mileage, to bad they are having problems. I'm currently in a 2014 f150 twin turbo. the truck is fast, love the speed. I'm getting - winter tires -  the dash says  15.6 mixed driving. highway is  14.5 @ 1900 rpm @ 120 kph.  pulling a 4 place aluminum clam shell trailer with 1 sled in it - 22.8 -  2000 rpm @120 kph. pulling an aluminum 7x23 V nose with 3 sleds in it 28.6  @ 2100 rpm @120kph. summer tire gas mileage was 0.03 better. i do about 30000 km a year +and i wanted better gas mileage. I spend around a little less than $10K on gas. i was hoping the diesels would be bullet proof, with better mileage. just FYI my 2010 gmc yukon with a 5.3 was getting 17 mixed(dash) and my 2010 f150 with a 5.4 was at 18 mph on the dash mixed

25 minutes ago, Taillight said:

i was very interested in the ram diesel for the gas mileage, to bad they are having problems. I'm currently in a 2014 f150 twin turbo. the truck is fast, love the speed. I'm getting - winter tires -  the dash says  15.6 mixed driving. highway is  14.5 @ 1900 rpm @ 120 kph.  pulling a 4 place aluminum clam shell trailer with 1 sled in it - 22.8 -  2000 rpm @120 kph. pulling an aluminum 7x23 V nose with 3 sleds in it 28.6  @ 2100 rpm @120kph. summer tire gas mileage was 0.03 better. i do about 30000 km a year +and i wanted better gas mileage. I spend around a little less than $10K on gas. i was hoping the diesels would be bullet proof, with better mileage. just FYI my 2010 gmc yukon with a 5.3 was getting 17 mixed(dash) and my 2010 f150 with a 5.4 was at 18 mph on the dash mixed

With 5000k on my 2016 f150 crew 6.5 box Hvy duty tow package 3.5 ecoboost. With LT tires. I am seeing 13L/100km mixed driving. The 2017 10 speed is supposed to do better.

1 hour ago, Taillight said:

are your numbers in L/100km or mpg? seems like first are in L/100km and then you switch to mpg at the end?

and how are you spending $10K on gas a year at 30,000 km driving?

31 minutes ago, JJL said:

are your numbers in L/100km or mpg? seems like first are in L/100km and then you switch to mpg at the end?

and how are you spending $10K on gas a year at 30,000 km driving?

sorry all in L/100km, just wrote it wrong. 2015 35000 km - $9200 in gas. I dont know heavy foot. i dont have 2016 numbers yet

1 hour ago, Taillight said:

sorry all in L/100km, just wrote it wrong. 2015 35000 km - $9200 in gas. I dont know heavy foot. i dont have 2016 numbers yet

Wholly crap my pig of fuel 2012 titan when we first bought our property in Barry bay and fuel was 1.25 to 1.29 a litre doing 37000 km that year I spent $9000

that's not so bad then. don't remember what fuel was at in '15 but I think it was higher.

that include much towing? im scared to look/figure out how much I spent in fuel....thought 10k was outrageous but probably isnt

24 minutes ago, JJL said:

that's not so bad then. don't remember what fuel was at in '15 but I think it was higher.

that include much towing? im scared to look/figure out how much I spent in fuel....thought 10k was outrageous but probably isnt

I did 35000 km in 2016 between the ford and titans. With about 2000km  towing 8000lb travel trailer and under 1000km snowmobile trailer spent $4900 in fuel.

Edit

Edited by atc