Mosquito magnet

Does anyone use the propane magnets , or what is a great way to.get rid of these bastards ? 

Edited by The One

We use a service that uses a fogger to eliminate mosquitos. Thinking of buying a fogger and doing it myself. The service comes 2-4 times a year and is here for 15 minutes. They do a great job. Firm is called Mosquito Squad.

12 minutes ago, hockeyrevman said:

We use a service that uses a fogger to eliminate mosquitos. Thinking of buying a fogger and doing it myself. The service comes 2-4 times a year and is here for 15 minutes. They do a great job. Firm is called Mosquito Squad.

Here it's called Bosquito Buzz.  It works, this will be our third year.

They work great if used as intended.  We run one in our backyard, out in the far corner.  They attract the mosquitoes to them, so keep them away from where you want to spend time.  The manual (or info online) tells you where to site them.  Clean the traps regularly, ours fills up daily in the early season.  I also usually take mine right apart every year and give it a good cleaning. 

You want them out early to get the early breeding bugs.  If you've done it right, they should be permanently reduced over the summer.  We used kind of a tandem approach; mosquito magnet in the far corner, thermacells and bug coils on the deck where we want to sit.  We live in Northern Manitoba, literally in the middle of a VAST swamp.  Summer would suck without them.

• Like 1

We were sitting on our dock having an afternoon social and the wife had brought the Thermocell unit with her and turned it on during the witching hour for skitters and we didn't see a skitter. We were amazed it worked out in the open like that

2 minutes ago, smokin george said:

We were sitting on our dock having an afternoon social and the wife had brought the Thermocell unit with her and turned it on during the witching hour for skitters and we didn't see a skitter. We were amazed it worked out in the open like that

We used to run a few of those little butane powered ones (they work great), but buying refills got pricey.  You can absolutely refill the butane fuel cells, and they do work good.  Last year we bought a couple of those battery powered ones with the little cartridges you drop in... Especially just for sitting on the deck, they are way more economical, and the cartridges are super easy to refill.  The pads in the butane ones aren't bad to recharge, just a little more cumbersome.  Find some permethrin, mix appropriately as per directions (5:1 water to perm for the stuff I have), and refill the cartridge.  Or use a syringe or eyedropper to put a few drops on the pads.  Either way, they are super cheap to run that way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hockeyrevman said:

We have mosquito abatement here. It's provided by the county. They use larvicide in swamps and wetlands where mosquitos breed. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, The One said:

Does anyone use the propane magnets , or what is a great way to.get rid of these bastards ? 

We used to run 4 of them on the ground floor of the power plant I worked at. They worked wonders in there.For years we tried having a company fog,,would help for a few days then full of mosquitos again. With the 4 magnets if the worst areas it was a huge improvement.