Ladies and Gentlemen.....I give you Bontz

4 minutes ago, Bontz said:

So I was chatting with a buddy & his wife last night.  She's a teacher and pretty much the stereotypical one .. leans pretty hard left and is about as anti-gun as it gets.  He's the exact opposite, and living proof that opposites attract (and they make it work, just fine).  One of the topics we were discussing was the universal background checks (HR8) that's failing in the Senate.  I'll be completely honest, and admit I haven't done my research on it, but I think the general idea behind it is to not allow private gun sales (me to you, for example) and the "loophole" with gun show sales.  Honestly, I have a hard time disagreeing with that ... if someone wants a gun, wait for the mandatory background check to go through.  I'd take that 100x over versus the idea of gun bans.

So with that said, what are the talking points to say universal background checks are terrible?  How would that be a bad thing (although the way the NRA has become, I know any sort of restriction is a bad thing).

The private sales and gunshow loophole is basically a freedom issue. The feds shouldn't have any business regulating private sales. This shooting and i think the last big school shooting were done with guns bought at a store so a background check would've been done. 

Don't the gun shows still require a background check ... I thought?  But the loophole has something to do with X number of business days (like 3?) and if not complete by then the sale goes through anyway?  I don't know the details of that, but I thought that was what my buddy tried to explain last night.

I agree the feds shouldn't have any business regulating private sales, and for a lot of these shootings this is all a moot point because people will get their hands on guns one way or the other.  I just feel like background checks as a whole, really shouldn't be an issue when buying a gun ... but that's just me, maybe being a bit naïve.  

1 minute ago, Bontz said:

Don't the gun shows still require a background check ... I thought?  But the loophole has something to do with X number of business days (like 3?) and if not complete by then the sale goes through anyway?  I don't know the details of that, but I thought that was what my buddy tried to explain last night.

I agree the feds shouldn't have any business regulating private sales, and for a lot of these shootings this is all a moot point because people will get their hands on guns one way or the other.  I just feel like background checks as a whole, really shouldn't be an issue when buying a gun ... but that's just me, maybe being a bit naïve.  

I'm not totally sure on the show loophole, haven't been to 1 in years. I don't think anybody has issues with background checks at the store, just the private sales. When a family member hands down a gun you shouldn't need to go through the hassle of a check. It's another tool for the govt to find out who has what guns and how many

• Like 2

• Platinum Contributing Member

If the back door is locked this likely doesn't happen.   Stopping school shootings isn't rocket science.

4 minutes ago, Cat45 said:

I'm not totally sure on the show loophole, haven't been to 1 in years. I don't think anybody has issues with background checks at the store, just the private sales. When a family member hands down a gun you shouldn't need to go through the hassle of a check. It's another tool for the govt to find out who has what guns and how many

100% agree with that 

• Like 1

On 5/26/2022 at 5:27 AM, SkisNH said:

Well, more people are killed with hammers than rifles should we ban hammers? Or are you suggesting that handguns get banned as well?

That's incorrect actually, even with hammers being lumped in with other blunt objects like bats.

I didn't, and haven't suggested anything be banned.  I'm just pointing out the glaringly obvious problems at present.

Neal

1 minute ago, Snake said:

Man am I glad I missed the top tier states on my vacation.... I wouldn't want to get any of you numbskulls idiocy on my clothes....

Me too…we already have enough little assholes in BMW’s clogging the roads around here. 

8 minutes ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

That's incorrect actually, even with hammers being lumped in with other blunt objects like bats.

I didn't, and haven't suggested anything be banned.  I'm just pointing out the glaringly obvious problems at present.

Neal

Almost every 14year old has a bat....should we be afraid. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Me too…we already have enough little assholes in BMW’s clogging the roads around here. 

The green finally arrives... :lmao:

Just now, SkisNH said:

30 years ago every 14 yo had a gun of some sort.

Asked previously: what happened?

23 hours ago, Highmark said:

Honestly I feel the same way with firearms with regard to how much control the govt exerts over us.  The natural progression of any society is more and more govt control.  You are fooling yourself if you think some of the freedom we have left is not due to the fact that govt does somewhat fear an armed citizenry.   We cannot ignore history when it comes to gun confiscation and where it eventually leads. 

Children have a much greater chance at being killed in a motor vehicle accident than they do in a school shooting.  In fact if you remove some major cities children dying by gunfire would be quite low.

If people like yourself wish for more stringent gun laws then start a movement to amend or repeal the 2nd. 

While I think the statistics on firearms saving lives are inflated and hard to accurately count I have no doubts they save more lives than they take.     

That's s laughably idiotic blather though.

There isn't any contemporary, or day to day examples of how we use guns against the government to make our society function.  Guns are a touchstone that stirs emotional response. 

Neal

11 minutes ago, SkisNH said:

Compared to being afraid of 14 year olds with guns?  Evidence seems to show we should be more afraid of the gun side.

Not sure why you are trying to go down this bat hammer hole, it isn't anywhere near the problem we have with handguns and ARs being used in mass homicides.

Neal

12 minutes ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

That's s laughably idiotic blather though.

There isn't any contemporary, or day to day examples of how we use guns against the government to make our society function.  Guns are a touchstone that stirs emotional response. 

Neal

According to you.   You never answered if you've given up your guns yet?

7 minutes ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

Compared to being afraid of 14 year olds with guns?  Evidence seems to show we should be more afraid of the gun side.

Not sure why you are trying to go down this bat hammer hole, it isn't anywhere near the problem we have with handguns and ARs being used in mass homicides.

Neal

Hand guns...not long guns statically. That's the point. 

BTW what's the difference between these 2 weapons?

79041-DEFAULT-l__02491.1592513179.jpg

img.jpeg

22 hours ago, Highmark said:

If the back door is locked this likely doesn't happen.   Stopping school shootings isn't rocket science.

It certainly isn't as easy as you make it sound. I posed this question to a friend yesterday......"How do you stop an evil, crazed lunatic from pulling over in his vehicle and mowing down 50 kids playing outside on the playground"?

48 minutes ago, SkisNH said:

Hand guns...not long guns statically. That's the point. 

BTW what's the difference between these 2 weapons?

79041-DEFAULT-l__02491.1592513179.jpg

img.jpeg

One is gas piston and one is direct impingement