Renewable energy dependence could lead to rolling blackouts in Michigan this summer

Solar and wind power, favorites of those hoping to switch the country over to greener sources of energy, don't have the capability to generate power 24 hours a day. To alleviate this issue, batteries that can store energy for later use are being developed. But Trotter noted technology does not currently have the capacity to meet demand, while prices for the batteries are far outpacing traditional power generation sources such as natural gas

What a bunch of stupid mother fuckers!!!!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, gravy davey said:

Solar and wind power, favorites of those hoping to switch the country over to greener sources of energy, don't have the capability to generate power 24 hours a day. To alleviate this issue, batteries that can store energy for later use are being developed. But Trotter noted technology does not currently have the capacity to meet demand, while prices for the batteries are far outpacing traditional power generation sources such as natural gas

What a bunch of stupid mother fuckers!!!!

In one thread we have the usual suspects praising Musk talking about how efficient EV cars are.....then we have the useless idiots that want solar and wind and EFFICIENCY never comes up.  Again, when you put two of the thought processes together the narratives start to fall apart.   So do we brag about efficiency or green energy sources?

Edited by racer254

• Gold Member

With one EV and one PHEV my electric bill is cheap.  Nice not having to pay for gas or diesel.  EV’s and making my own electricity wasn’t about hippy shit…. It’s to avoid having to pay for energy and future and inevitable increases.

C3442FFB-7F6D-43D4-BC3C-32D039972DC6.jpeg

• Gold Member
24 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

With one EV and one PHEV my electric bill is cheap.  Nice not having to pay for gas or diesel.  EV’s and making my own electricity wasn’t about hippy shit…. It’s to avoid having to pay for energy and future and inevitable increases.

C3442FFB-7F6D-43D4-BC3C-32D039972DC6.jpeg

I am curious and you probably already answered this in another post, but what was the total expense for EV's and the Electrical generation hardware and installation.  What is the expected ROI on the complete setup?  Thanks

• Gold Member
1 minute ago, SeaShark said:

I am curious and you probably already answered this in another post, but what was the total expense for EV's and the Electrical generation hardware and installation.  What is the expected ROI on the complete setup?  Thanks

My Solar was $25k installed by myself.  Rather large system and bigger then I need as I overbuilt for a couple EV’s.  Around $8k in fed tax credit and incentive….  So system “cost” $17k.  Annual electric bill was around $2800 a year before any EV’s plugging in.

Tesla cost me $49k before registration and tax…. Rivian will cost $69500 after fed tax credit.  I would buy vehicles so I don’t really count them as an expense.  If I didn’t have the Rivian on order I would likely have a 70k plus pickup and likely a 40-50k car.

if I figure house electricity and charging and fuel and my own electricity I make…. “Payback” on my Solar lands somewhere between 4-5 years….  No EV’s in the equation and the payback is around 6-7 years.