who's got an electric bike? any experts here?

• Platinum Contributing Member

That's definitely on my bucket list to get one of those..... so many different kinds out there now in different price brackets. But like 800 Renegaderider, I know very little about them.... some are Street Legal and others are more like dirt bikes and are not..... looks like 4K can get you a real nice one.

All I know is being out of work 5 months so far and possibly retiring very soon ....I definitely need some more Hobbies.:guzzle:

41 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

thinking about it. last one gave up the ghost. what are some decent brands? don't want spend more than $4k. 

I want one too,,the wife knows more about them than me and she's gone for the weekend. She rides her fat bike year round on the bike trails here and I'd like to join once in awhile. No I'm not pedaling full time. 

I looked around for a while myself, seemed like you had to decide whether you want to pedal or go full on electric motorcycle.  I said fuck it and just bought another dirtbike.  22 yr old woods bike owned by an ocd buddy who parked it in his basement 17 years ago with his 20 other bikes.   There are a couple 2wd options out there, I think I'd want to go that route, assuming I'd be spending time on the trails vs. roads.

5F6705AA-DFDE-41C7-8D4B-30C922675CF5.jpeg

1501B790-DC10-4810-932E-ADFEFD49EC5C.jpeg

Edited by DriftBusta
  • Like 5

They are the sum of their parts. 4K is a starting point really, the good stuff is expensive. Check your states laws before you buy anything as they vary widely by how much power and does it have a throttle as well as how much assist it can have ect. The pedal crowd doesn't like them on the trails but those guys fight with hikers and horses anyways. 

Our state has legislation pending right now but I don't know what direction it's going. The E bike people want access to bike paths but they are considered a motor vehicle. Electric dirt bikes need OHVR stickers and the same rules apply in this state so no bike paths or public bike trails.  Hey they can ride anything they are willing to pay for so lets start with that.

Just a thought Cal. just declined the little Honda electric dirt bike OHRV status, its only as big as the Z50. Brand wise my next one will be a Giant, they build good bikes.

Good luck with your search.

If you work on your own sleds and bikes you can build your own.  That is by far the best option as ALL of the off the shelf ones are gutless.  Personally I would do a cyclone kit, but the bafang options are probably easier.

1 hour ago, Rigid1 said:

Specialized has really done a lot with E-bikes, I'd dare to say they lead the pack..

Parts on them is what really effects the price. 

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/electric-bikes

I as looking at the Specialized E Bikes last week at the local shop. Maybe next year if bonuses come back up. I swear my legs must be made of mostly lactic acid  :lol:

With pedal assist bikes, the big brands are the best to go with - specialized, trek etc. past few years there’s been problems with motors, wiring and firmware.  

full electric you can’t beat the price and performance of the suron. 

around here these bikes are still flying under the radar, but I’m betting the non electric bike crowd will start crying more and more. 

2 hours ago, Skidooski said:

I as looking at the Specialized E Bikes last week at the local shop. Maybe next year if bonuses come back up. I swear my legs must be made of mostly lactic acid  :lol:

Try taking some baking soda before you ride, it works for horses, might work for humans too.

3 hours ago, dirtybeacher said:

around here these bikes are still flying under the radar, but I’m betting the non electric bike crowd will start crying more and more. 

Only the snobs bitch and complain around here. Most just wana ride, smoke a little then have a beer or three after the ride

43 minutes ago, 1jkw said:

Try taking some baking soda before you ride, it works for horses, might work for humans too.

I have a supplement I have yet to try. Maybe that’s the main ingredient and I’m just paying 10x the price :lol: :thumb: 

1 minute ago, Skidooski said:

Only the snobs bitch and complain around here. Most just wana ride, smoke a little then have a beer or three after the ride

I have a supplement I have yet to try. Maybe that’s the main ingredient and I’m just paying 10x the price :lol: :thumb: 

Could be.