Gaylord Nailed By Tornado

• Platinum Contributing Member

Wow....did u take those pics?

Even us around here are getting tornadoes much more often than we used too....had tornado watch today but storms that came through weren't bad.

2 minutes ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

Wow....did u take those pics?

Even us around here are getting tornadoes much more often than we used too....had tornado watch today but storms that came through weren't bad.

No...Gaylord is almost an hour east of me...Moto lives there.

41 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

Damn!! Fucking full sized truck upsidedown.. is that near you Jim? You guys all good??

We’re good...about 45 miles SE from here.

35 minutes ago, HSR said:

Holy crap!! Weather bad near you too Jimmy?

It went south of us...we had some thunderstorms and that’s about it. 

• Like 1

Two fatalities reported so far, both in Nottingham forest mobile park if I'm not mistaken. 

Utilities are steadily being restored. 

Town is a mess, there's a lot of destruction. Thankfully more people weren't hurt or killed.

I worry about all these homes and buildings being repaired before winter hits, especially homes. Insurance companies love to play their games with people in this scenario and I also am skeptical that there are enough contractors around to even make a dent in the demolition and repairs that will be needed. It's going to exacerbate the housing crisis even more. 

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, HSR said:

Holy crap!! Weather bad near you too Jimmy?

There was warning  earlier today ,

Tornado watch for Tobermory area 

4 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

Two fatalities reported so far, both in Nottingham forest mobile park if I'm not mistaken. 

Town is a mess, there's a lot of destruction. Thankfully more people weren't hurt or killed.

I worry about all these homes and buildings being repaired before winter hits, especially homes. Insurance companies love to play their games with people in this scenario and I also am skeptical that there are enough contractors around to even make a dent in the demolition and repairs that will be needed. It's going to exacerbate the housing crisis even more. 

To bad to hear 

47 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

That is terrible. 

12 minutes ago, HSR said:

Where is that?

Lake huron / Georgian bay area

Edited by The One

2 hours ago, The One said:

There was warning  earlier today ,

Tornado watch for Tobermory area 

We had a good one, non tornado, blow through here about a couple/few hours ago. Tons of branches and trees down all over the place and some houses lost a lot of shingles. Tornado warnings were posted on certain apps but none touched down that I am aware of? (Durham Region) Just got off the phone with a friend at our trailer park in Marmora (East of Peterborough) and he said some trees were down on trailers and they have no power. I haven't heard much of anything else as I'm sure he is busy but he said it was brutal. 

Sad news. And a tornado did touch down about 20 minutes west of me. Weird, the lady with an iphone and a different weather app was warned about the tornado but our phones said nothing about a tornado. 

At least two people dead, more than 300,000 without power after storm hits Ontario.

https://torontosun.com/news/local-news/at-least-two-people-dead-more-than-300000-without-power-after-storm-hits-ontario 

Edited by irv

The community and surrounding area have stepped up in Gaylord’s time of need…they were supposed to host the Regional Track Meet yesterday and Charlevoix jumped in and hosted, numerous people on FB volunteering themselves and their equipment to help with cleanup, people offering their RV’s for those whose homes were destroyed…it restores my faith in humanity.👍🏼🇺🇸

11 hours ago, irv said:

Sad news. And a tornado did touch down about 20 minutes west of me. Weird, the lady with an iphone and a different weather app was warned about the tornado but our phones said nothing about a tornado. 

At least two people dead, more than 300,000 without power after storm hits Ontario.

https://torontosun.com/news/local-news/at-least-two-people-dead-more-than-300000-without-power-after-storm-hits-ontario 

Wow that's sad. Are they normal in that area??

41 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

The community and surrounding area have stepped up in Gaylord’s time of need…they were supposed to host the Regional Track Meet yesterday and Charlevoix jumped in and hosted, numerous people on FB volunteering themselves and their equipment to help with cleanup, people offering their RV’s for those whose homes were destroyed…it restores my faith in humanity.👍🏼🇺🇸

Great to hear Jim:bc:

1 hour ago, HSR said:

Wow that's sad. Are they normal in that area??

Not that I'm aware of but because it is basically across the Oak Ridges Moraine, it could be a hot spot more so than other areas I assume?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oak_Ridges_Moraine 

Edit: Uxbridge declares a state of emergency.

From Mayor Dave Barton
The township of Uxbridge has declared a State of Emergency. A severe storm that went through parts of the Township of Uxbridge on May 21 has left significant damage in its wake. Widespread power outages are occurring. Many roads are closed throughout the Township and Public Works and Emergency services are on location removing trees and ensuring hazards from downed power lines are managed. While the Township assesses the damage, The public is asked to stay away from downed power lines and keep children and pets away from downed lines and fallen trees until the hazards can be addressed. All available Township staff are working as quickly as possible to reopen roads and remove tree hazards. We ask for your patience as work is underway. The public is asked to stay off the roads to help staff focus on the hazards rather than manage traffic congestion.
Residents should be prepared for an prolonged power outage. Please stay home for safety.
Edited by irv

The storm that hit here in Ontario is being called a Derecho that left a 1000km path of destruction and fatalities. I've never heard that term before and the tornado that went by close to us a few years ago didn't do anywhere near that much damage.