There might not be enough electricity to go around this summer

• Platinum Contributing Member

Great time to buy one of those expensive EV's or buy gas for your generator  :sad: 

I think I'm gonna need to put up a solar farm in my back 40

MISO, the operator of the electric grid that includes Michigan, is warning there may not be enough electricity to go around this summer, which is forecast to be warmer than usual. That could mean controlled outages as an emergency measure.

https://www.michiganradio.org/transportation-infrastructure/2022-05-16/there-might-not-be-enough-electricity-to-go-around-this-summer-in-michigan-that-could-require-planned-outages?fbclid=IwAR3JRaQWYVWibBHrrOdvuHKIrcph1SdqgkCNEww-HrbO6aK7x_MFhXVaJIA

Ukraine war is a bitch !  

Did you see this story?  
95% off the grid!!!!!!!  :lol:

yeah,  take you about 25 years before $3,500 panels pay for themselves.  

89492D61-3112-4AC7-A994-6D582804CCEA.jpeg

1 minute ago, Cold War said:

Ukraine war is a bitch !  

Did you see this story?  
95% off the grid!!!!!!!  :lol:

yeah,  take you about 25 years before $3,500 panels pay for themselves.  

89492D61-3112-4AC7-A994-6D582804CCEA.jpeg

Figures! They were running their commercials almost nonstop there for a while. Covid commercial followed by this then back to Covid. I see they are now calling themselves Pink Energy  :lol: 

24 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

Figures! They were running their commercials almost nonstop there for a while. Covid commercial followed by this then back to Covid. I see they are now calling themselves Pink Energy  :lol: 

Right.  Guy was a total con man, made himself a shit load of money selling people green energy. You’re not getting the government to pay for it and are not going off the grid. 

I don't see solar as a means to saving significant money.   I am very far from a full on prepper.   Where I live allows me to have an easier means of being self sufficient than someone living in an urban environment.   That being said I see solar more so than a minor readiness for a system that will occasionally break down in the future than a complete collapse.   This would allow me to continue to live relatively normal given we go where I think we are.  Its also an investment in the property because I think self sufficient country properties will be gold mines in the future if ever given the need to sell.  

Energy = Freedom

The more they scale back Fossil Fuel energy, the less freedom we have.  If you want to continue to have the same freedoms you have now, you either have to pay more for it, or you have to subsidize your Energy.  ROI takes a few years with this Solar energy, as @BOHICA has pointed out, but it can work on some personal basis, until national power grids catch up with demand, without the amount of Fossil Fuel energy we currently use.  Stripping that Fossil Fuel energy and creating shortages, until the alternative energies can keep up with demand, is simply taking away freedom.

• Like 1

my brother and riding buddy both work in power plants. both say that any talk of lack of power is bullshit. they can produce plenty, but sit idle, even in times of high demand. my other bro works in a power plant also, and that plant gets paid millions to be ready. but they run very little. spend all the time doing pms so when they get the call it works. 

31 minutes ago, Mag6240 said:

Energy = Freedom

The more they scale back Fossil Fuel energy, the less freedom we have.  If you want to continue to have the same freedoms you have now, you either have to pay more for it, or you have to subsidize your Energy.  ROI takes a few years with this Solar energy, as @BOHICA has pointed out, but it can work on some personal basis, until national power grids catch up with demand, without the amount of Fossil Fuel energy we currently use.  Stripping that Fossil Fuel energy and creating shortages, until the alternative energies can keep up with demand, is simply taking away freedom.

Good post.   The need for floating blackouts will continue to be more of an issue regionally or even locally than nationwide.   I don't see it in my area unless we start selling more electricity to Illinois.   That might become a problem and need to be regulated by the state which it very well might be. 

Edited by Highmark

Not a surprise.  Texas just had a power outage when 6 power plants went off line.

Friend is an electrical contractor and said demand for backup generators has gone crazy in the last comes years.  Just last week he installed 2 at private residence and averages at least 2 per month.

On EV vehicles people don't realize the power requirements for quick chargers.  Most are 50 amps and up.  Many of the older homes only had 100 amp service and if they have a detached garage it may have as little as a single 20 amp run in the garage.  Last year a couple were waiting for (2) EV vehicles so they wanted to get the garage setup for when they got them.  The house only had 100 amp service.  By time they were done updating to 200 amp service to the house updating the service and wiring to the garage the bill was over $6500.00 and they didn't even has the EV's yet.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Doug said:

Not a surprise.  Texas just had a power outage when 6 power plants went off line.

Friend is an electrical contractor and said demand for backup generators has gone crazy in the last comes years.  Just last week he installed 2 at private residence and averages at least 2 per month.

On EV vehicles people don't realize the power requirements for quick chargers.  Most are 50 amps and up.  Many of the older homes only had 100 amp service and if they have a detached garage it may have as little as a single 20 amp run in the garage.  Last year a couple were waiting for (2) EV vehicles so they wanted to get the garage setup for when they got them.  The house only had 100 amp service.  By time they were done updating to 200 amp service to the house updating the service and wiring to the garage the bill was over $6500.00 and they didn't even has the EV's yet.  

Why?

2 minutes ago, Doug said:

Did I miss the point in that article?  Didn't really say WHY they went off-line, just that it was unexpected...and unrelated to maintenace schedules.

Edited by Mag6240

JMO  I feel  when ,and if this country dose go green ,, I don't think the power grid any where is going to be capable to handle the loads on a system this old ,they have several reports already of cars catching on fire at charge stations, ,, once  the government finds this is a issue ,how much is that EV going to cost all then,, let me see ,if your last name ends in A you can charge on fri only ,, gonna be a big joke

-

Lost power this morning.  We have had more short outages this year than the last four put together. 
Still remember the great black out of 2003 . Hard to believe it has been 20 years. People were starting to lose their shit.  It hit on Dream cruise weekend. People from all over country were in town  and no gasoline.  

43 minutes ago, Mag6240 said:

Did I miss the point in that article?  Didn't really say WHY they went off-line, just that it was unexpected...and unrelated to maintenace schedules.

Correct they don't know why.  To your point not only taking away freedom but reliability.  Hard to charge batteries without power

• Like 1