Diamonds are a scam

I heard this years ago that diamonds were a controlled/hyped product to keep them valuable. 

Cornering the Market

De Beers did wonderful things for the diamond industry. However, not everything about De Beers is nice. As diamonds were discovered in other parts of Africa and South America, De Beers gained control of the rough diamond supply. Allegedly, the tactics used to gain control included murder and kidnapping.

De Beers maintained a monopolistic hold over the diamond market for several decades, controlling 75-85% of the diamond rough supply. They carefully released only enough rough diamonds to satisfy then-current demand, while continually adjusting the degree of rough diamond availability. Of course, this made prices escalate and reinforced the perception of diamond’s rarity. De Beers actually mined considerably more rough diamonds than they sold. They maintained a large warehouse of uncut diamonds in London. As a result, they weren’t allowed to do business in the United States and a few other countries.

https://www.gemsociety.org/article/are-diamonds-really-rare/

https://financialpost.com/commodities/mining/the-masters-of-the-diamond-world-are-losing-control-of-their-tightly-held-market

• Like 1

Diamonds are a scam.  I couldn't bring myself to spend much on my wife's ring. It's a half carat, two quarter carats, and then some smaller diamonds around the platinum band.  Around a carat total but all ideal cut and good clarity so it sparkles and that is what she wanted.  Think I paid $3200 for it from Blue Nile.

My tungsten ring was $100.  We're still married.

• Platinum Contributing Member
20 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

Diamonds are a scam.  I couldn't bring myself to spend much on my wife's ring. It's a half carat, two quarter carats, and then some smaller diamonds around the platinum band.  Around a carat total but all ideal cut and good clarity so it sparkles and that is what she wanted.  Think I paid $3200 for it from Blue Nile.

My tungsten ring was $100.  We're still married.

Engagement ring

Wedding ring

Suffering 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Big Crappie said:

I told my wife when we got married we could spend on expensive rings or down payment on a house. She chose the house. Now we're retired at 60 living the good life.

That was our thinking as well.  Bought a house and it has since doubled in value.

• Gold Member
33 minutes ago, Doomxz600 said:

My wife picked out her ring. I walked down the case and stopped saying anything up to this point. 

She didn't want a large stone just a clear one, 33 this year.

That’s what we did she picked it out sales guy was a little baffled. My wife was the same she wanted the best color and clarity didn’t care so much about the size as long as it was flawless. 

My wife had her first one stolen by a kirby vacuum pos that was demoing in the house. Was 12grand. 

the second one was 15grand retail and i was working for a person who had an influence. One of those i know a guy who knows a guy type of deal.

i picked it up for just under 8grand 

And we are on our 28th yr marriage and 33 yr total together 

Edited by toslow

25 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

That’s what we did she picked it out sales guy was a little baffled. My wife was the same she wanted the best color and clarity didn’t care so much about the size as long as it was flawless. 

Co worker gave her some crap about the size until she had to have the setting repaired and that stone turned yellow, it was a fake diamond. 

She who laughs last.....  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, toslow said:

My wife had her first one stolen by a kirby vacuum pos that was demoing in the house. Was 12grand. 

the second one was 15grand retail and i was working for a person who had an influence. One of those i know a guy who knows a guy type of deal.

i picked it up for just under 8grand 

And we are on our 28th yr marriage and 33 yr total together 

My wife picked hers out as well, I think it is about 1.2 c, 25 years this year, paid about 6k back then.  No regrets

• Like 1

Replaced wifes ring this Christmas.  27 years, the one I bought her originally wasn’t great, but it was still a lot of money for a young guy.  I was kind of dreading it.
The guy was cool as hell.  She picks out the ring she wants, and then it is time to for the diamonds. He brings all the rocks out priced all over the place.  Says “you see the difference between this and this?  I say “honestly..  no.”  
He responds “me either “. I would go with this one and use the money you save to go on vacation or something.  :lol:

so that is what we did.  She gets compliments on the ring every time we go out and is happy.  We could of spent another $4,000 on diamonds and it would still be same ring. 

• Platinum Contributing Member

Stay away from women who are obsessed with jewelry......unless they make much more than you.  :lol:    

• Like 1