Woodtick

2 minutes ago, HSR said:

I can imagine bear hunting with dogs is exciting as hell but a lot of work,have to be in shape. I'd love to watch a team of dogs work like that too,doing what they love :bc:

I've been thinking about a badger hunt :lol:

Yeah it's alot of fun. Too bad so many people have a bad opinion of it through negstive publicity by the anti hunting groups. Every single person I've brought along that was against it came away with a completely different opinion. All of them said it was the most fun they've ever had hunting

3 hours ago, HSR said:

I can imagine bear hunting with dogs is exciting as hell but a lot of work,have to be in shape. I'd love to watch a team of dogs work like that too,doing what they love :bc:

I've been thinking about a badger hunt lately :lol:

CB574C13-CA73-420C-B42F-BCF5D9E2503B.jpeg

I don't hunt because I have no patience.  We have bear hunters around us up Nth no big deal.  But when I pull into my driveway that is marked private drive and I have to wait to have a some bear hunts get out of the way so I can get in my driveway.  After that I drive up our driveway to find 2 trucks parked to our yard with nobody in and their following the dogs down one of our lanes.  That pisses my off.

If I'm up there and you pull up our driveway knock on the door to say your you have some dogs running a bear.  Be my guest.

But being curtious just like asking permission on a snowmobile trail goes a long way.

Edited by Doug

1 minute ago, Doug said:

I don't hunt because I have no patience.  We have bear hunters around us up Nth no beg deal.  But when I pull into my driveway that is marked private drive and I have to wait to have a some bear hunts get out of the way so I can get in my driveway.  After that I drive up our driveway to find 2 trucks parked to our yard with nobody in and their following the dogs down one of our lanes.  That pisses my off.

If I'm up there and you pull up our driveway knock on the door to say your you have some dogs running a bear.  Be my guest.

Being curtious just like asking permission on a snowmobile trail goes a long way.

That's the biggest problem with hound hunting, same with snowmobiling it's going to ruin both sports eventually. I get on the guys in our group pretty hard if they don't respect landowners. 9 out of 10 times if you ask they'll let you get your dogs, if you don't ask you'll have someone pissed that will never forget it. It's stupid not to ask in Wi, if the owner says no you just call the sherriff and they'll come out and go with you to get the dog. No fines issued

2 minutes ago, Cat45 said:

That's the biggest problem with hound hunting, same with snowmobiling it's going to ruin both sports eventually. I get on the guys in our group pretty hard if they don't respect landowners. 9 out of 10 times if you ask they'll let you get your dogs, if you don't ask you'll have someone pissed that will never forget it. It's stupid not to ask in Wi, if the owner says no you just call the sherriff and they'll come out and go with you to get the dog. No fines issued

I don't want to be that guy but I've not had a good experience with at least with one group around us. We've left to come home and they have the road blocked when their practicing with the dogs.  Being a little more considerate would go a long way in mine (and my wife's) view.  Their not all bad.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Doug said:

I don't want to be that guy but I've not had a good experience with at least with one group around us. We've left to come home and they have the road blocked when their practicing with the dogs.  Being a little more considerate would go a long way in mine (and my wife's) view.  Their not all bad.

Sent a pm, i might be able to help

• Thanks 1

On 5/12/2022 at 8:53 AM, HSR said:

No not the Mexican:lol: I fucking hate waking up knowing that thing crawling on you is a woodtick,,fuck!! Buddy was ice fishing Sunday and ticks are out already. I'l be checking the dog all day.

Bayer "Sergesto"

27 minutes ago, ford_428cj said:

In W Mich ...they were never here before. Was a much better time then. 

And yes Snacks ...Lyme disease came from our govt bio lab. I'm convinced of that after reading about Plum Island. 

@Jimmy Snacks

Yep, the book Lab 257 is a good read. I have no doubt the government is behind lymes and other diseases/sicknesses. Wether it's intentional or accidental I'm not sure, but I'm leaning more towards the intentional side

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Cat45 said:

Yep, the book Lab 257 is a good read. I have no doubt the government is behind lymes and other diseases/sicknesses. Wether it's intentional or accidental I'm not sure, but I'm leaning more towards the intentional side

Thanks. I haven't read a book in forever - might have to check that out.

5 hours ago, Showtime said:

Went for a 30 min walk in the woods last weekend up north and had 12 crawling on me. 

My worst day was years ago shed hunting a powerline,,28. The other 2 guys with me,just as bad. Fucking gross,,

17 minutes ago, ford_428cj said:

Have ticks always been up there?

When I moved here in 76 they were here,,but rare.Now they are thick. About 20 years ago I had a lab and a collie and lived in the country and 1 bad year I was picking them off every night in the garage and putting them in a 1 gallon jar.There was hundreds in there.Buddy from Nipigon (Dynamo Joe doo clutch guy) dropped over and couldn't believe it,,,he'd never seen a woodtick before.That's only 4 hours away,,,,but they are getting them now.

8 minutes ago, HSR said:

When I moved here in 76 they were here,,but rare.Now they are thick. About 20 years ago I had a lab and a collie and lived in the country and 1 bad year I was picking them off every night in the garage and putting them in a 1 gallon jar.There was hundreds in there.Buddy from Nipigon (Dynamo Joe doo clutch guy) dropped over and couldn't believe it,,,he'd never seen a woodtick before.That's only 4 hours away,,,,but they are getting them now.

I've never seen them once in 40 years here - until a couple years ago. Was in woods - creeks - rivers all the time too ...so would have known for sure if they were here. 

Sucks ...makes me not want to go in woods now except if it's really cold. 

4 minutes ago, ford_428cj said:

I've never seen them once in 40 years here - until a couple years ago. Was in woods - creeks - rivers all the time too ...so would have known for sure if they were here. 

Sucks ...makes me not want to go in woods now except if it's really cold. 

Meh,,,the first 1 or 2 of the year creep ya right the fuck out,after that ,,,they still creep you the fuck out :lol:

Usually by July they're gone.

5 minutes ago, HSR said:

Meh,,,the first 1 or 2 of the year creep ya right the fuck out,after that ,,,they still creep you the fuck out :lol:

Not the creep factor - but the Lyme factor. 

But they are nasty little vampires. No eyes on them ...wtf. 

6 minutes ago, HSR said:

I don't mind the regular ticks but the deer ticks scare me, hard to see and lymes is no joke. Probly need to find a live in tick checker but that's a whole new set of problems.....probly better to take my chances with lymes🤣

• Haha 1

Not saying they are going to eradicate them, but possums/opossums are a good thing to have around. Many kill possums because the are ugly but they are 10 times more afraid of humans than we are of them. We had some I seen in our backyard a couple/few years ago but nary one since, since a lot are killed crossing roads too.

Opossums: Unsung Heroes in the Fight Against Ticks and Lyme Disease.

https://blog.nwf.org/2017/06/opossums-unsung-heroes-in-the-fight-against-ticks-and-lyme-disease/

https://www.cbc.ca/natureofthings/features/opossums-misunderstood-marsupials

https://www.discover-southern-ontario.com/possum.html

Posssum.png

Edited by irv
  • Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
6 minutes ago, irv said:

Not saying they are going to eradicate them, but possums/opossums are a good thing to have around. Many kill possums because the are ugly but they are 10 times more afraid of humans than we are of them. We had some I seen in our backyard a couple/few years ago but nary one since, since a lot are killed crossing roads too.

https://blog.nwf.org/2017/06/opossums-unsung-heroes-in-the-fight-against-ticks-and-lyme-disease/

Yup...Opossums are definitely beneficial....ugly bastards but I would never kill one. Hate to see them dead on the road, I think some people hit them on purpose. They are not very fast.

Only seen a couple around....I think my foxes keep them at bay.

3 minutes ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

Yup...Opossums are definitely beneficial....ugly bastards but I would never kill one. Hate to see them dead on the road, I think some people hit them on purpose. They are not very fast.

Only seen a couple around....I think my foxes keep them at bay.

That's the sad part. Ignorant people have no idea what they are doing.

32 minutes ago, irv said:

Posssum.png

Unfortunately we don't have them here. Guy I used to work with that lived at the lake with a huge grass yard kept guinea hens as I guess they just walk around all day eating ticks.Or so he claimed :dunno:

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 minute ago, HSR said:

Unfortunately we don't have them here. Guy I used to work with that lived at the lake with a huge grass yard kept guinea hens as I guess they just walk around all day eating ticks.Or so he claimed :dunno:

I have heard that as well…Chickens eat ticks so I would guess a Guinea Hen would do the same.👍🏼