Woodtick

No not the Mexican:lol: I fucking hate waking up knowing that thing crawling on you is a woodtick,,fuck!! Buddy was ice fishing Sunday and ticks are out already. I'l be checking the dog all day.

My former sister-in-law (Who is a BIG girl) had one in the crack of her ass once, and her husband (CFH's brother) wouldn't touch it!  Turned into an emergency room visit.... :lol2:

• Haha 6

I remember back when I was a kid in the 70's getting one in my ear and my folks finished their drinks,mom held me down while the old man used his Dumaurier special mild cigarette heater to burn it oot!!!! Great memories :lol:

well here in the hudson valley of ny we are loaded. had a wood tick in my neck a few weeks back. have had lots, worst being in my man parts, and one in my ass crack. worse than that is the deer tick. little bastard will give you lyme disease. bad news if left intreated. dog gets bravecto. i wear off any time i go near the woods, but you can get them on the lawn. been dealing with that since the early 90s. another issue is anaplasmosis. dirty needle on the tick gives you a blood infection. my buddy was down 6 weeks from that shit

2 minutes ago, sleepybrew said:

well here in the hudson valley of ny we are loaded. had a wood tick in my neck a few weeks back. have had lots, worst being in my man parts, and one in my ass crack. worse than that is the deer tick. little bastard will give you lyme disease. bad news if left intreated. dog gets bravecto. i wear off any time i go near the woods, but you can get them on the lawn. been dealing with that since the early 90s. another issue is anaplasmosis. dirty needle on the tick gives you a blood infection. my buddy was down 6 weeks from that shit

Such nasty little fucking creatures.

• Platinum Contributing Member

Don’t forgot about Lone Star Ticks which have spread all the way into Maine…their bite can cause a condition called Alpha-Gal which is an allergy to Red Meat and Dairy and a very serious one.😳😤

Lyme Disease Prevention

Sunshine and warmer weather is here and with it, comes the need to get out and explore; but before you head out for a walk in the wilderness, you need to be aware of Lyme disease, and how to protect yourself from Lyme carrying ticks.

Ontario’s tick population has been on the rise for some time and so have the number of Ontarians reporting symptoms associated with Lyme disease. Here are some things to consider before venturing outside for work or play.

• Don’t let your guard down - increase your index of suspicion. There are now more ticks in Ontario, and they are thriving in various regions. Check your local news for local advisories on increased tick population density.

• Prevent tick bites by using insect repellent that contains 20-30% DEET

• Wear clothing that has been treated with permethrin

• Check yourself; your family members and your pets when you have finished your hike. Ticks are very small, and you will need to look over the whole body

• Remove any embedded ticks appropriately and save it for public notification. Improper removal of the tick can increase the chances of the bacteria being transmitted and further infection.

How to remove a tick:

• Use clean, fine-tipped tweezers to grasp the tick as close to the skin's surface as possible.

• Pull upward with steady, even pressure. After removing the tick, thoroughly clean the bite area and your hands with rubbing alcohol or soap and water. Never crush a tick with your fingers. If you pull a tick out and the head stays in, clean the skin with rubbing alcohol. Use a sterile needle to uncover the head and lift it out. If a small piece of the head remains, the skin will slowly shed it. If most of the head is left, call your doctor for help.

• Seek early treatment and do not ignore symptoms – especially a rash or what is commonly referred to as a Bull’s-eye.

• If you are working outdoors – look for ticks on your body and take a shower as soon as you can after your shift. Take a picture of any rash and do not delay treatment or a WSIB claim.

Your best line of defense against Lyme disease are awareness and preventative measures. Members are encouraged to stay educated on this issue. Lyme disease is no laughing matter, however with the proper prevention, we can all remain safe while outside.

Just ordered Seresto collars for the dogs last sunday from Chewy...still hasn't arrived.....usually only takes 2 days when I order from them.....supposed to be here tomorrow.

Just now, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

Just ordered Seresto collars for the dogs last sunday from Chewy...still hasn't arrived.....usually only takes 2 days when I order from them.....supposed to be here tomorrow.

We use Vectra Drops and as much as it sucks I avoid the woods until winter…we’ll stick to the beach.

Can't remember if I seen this here so some other place? Either way, I had never heard about it but it sounds like it has been around for a while and works?

Just now, sleepybrew said:

my buddy found seresto not effective here. his dog had ticks right next to it. i use bravecto, one edible and good for months

I’ve considered Chewables but Cattle Dogs seem to have serious side effects from them. Sadie was diagnosed with Lyme Disease last year and a month long round of antibiotics knocked it down…there is also a Lyme Vaccine for dogs.👍🏼

3 minutes ago, irv said:

Lyme Disease Prevention

Sunshine and warmer weather is here and with it, comes the need to get out and explore; but before you head out for a walk in the wilderness, you need to be aware of Lyme disease, and how to protect yourself from Lyme carrying ticks.

Ontario’s tick population has been on the rise for some time and so have the number of Ontarians reporting symptoms associated with Lyme disease. Here are some things to consider before venturing outside for work or play.

• Don’t let your guard down - increase your index of suspicion. There are now more ticks in Ontario, and they are thriving in various regions. Check your local news for local advisories on increased tick population density.

• Prevent tick bites by using insect repellent that contains 20-30% DEET

• Wear clothing that has been treated with permethrin

• Check yourself; your family members and your pets when you have finished your hike. Ticks are very small, and you will need to look over the whole body

• Remove any embedded ticks appropriately and save it for public notification. Improper removal of the tick can increase the chances of the bacteria being transmitted and further infection.

How to remove a tick:

• Use clean, fine-tipped tweezers to grasp the tick as close to the skin's surface as possible.

• Pull upward with steady, even pressure. After removing the tick, thoroughly clean the bite area and your hands with rubbing alcohol or soap and water. Never crush a tick with your fingers. If you pull a tick out and the head stays in, clean the skin with rubbing alcohol. Use a sterile needle to uncover the head and lift it out. If a small piece of the head remains, the skin will slowly shed it. If most of the head is left, call your doctor for help.

• Seek early treatment and do not ignore symptoms – especially a rash or what is commonly referred to as a Bull’s-eye.

• If you are working outdoors – look for ticks on your body and take a shower as soon as you can after your shift. Take a picture of any rash and do not delay treatment or a WSIB claim.

Your best line of defense against Lyme disease are awareness and preventative measures. Members are encouraged to stay educated on this issue. Lyme disease is no laughing matter, however with the proper prevention, we can all remain safe while outside.

awareness is key. but they are so small it sometimes does not matter. they pick a spot that is hard to get at. had one in my head too a few weeks ago. half the folks i know have lyme. we used to camp on islands in the hudson river, but all the women and some of the men got lyme. this was back in the 90s. i avoid the island now. 

• Confused 1

Just now, Jimmy Snacks said:

I’ve considered Chewables but Cattle Dogs seem to have serious side effects from them. Sadie was diagnosed with Lyme Disease last year and a month long round of antibiotics knocked it down…there is also a Lyme Vaccine for dogs.👍🏼

vet couldn't assure me lyme vax worked. doxycycline used to be cheap, but was 300.00 when my dog needed it. any topical like advantix makes my golden chew his fur out a month later

1 minute ago, sleepybrew said:

awareness is key. but they are so small it sometimes does not matter. they pick a spot that is hard to get at. had one in my head too a few weeks ago. half the folks i know have lyme. we used to camp on islands in the hudson river, but all the women and some of the men got lyme. this was back in the 90s. i avoid the island now. 

Damn that sucks.

4 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

We use Vectra Drops and as much as it sucks I avoid the woods until winter…we’ll stick to the beach.

I used to use the drops you put on back of neck but have been using Seresto collars the last 3 years with very good results.....they are not cheap but last 8 months.....

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sleepybrew said:

my buddy found seresto not effective here. his dog had ticks right next to it. i use bravecto, one edible and good for months

Haven't had that issue I've never seen a tick on my dogs since wearing the collars

7 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Yeah, my dogs have the lyme vaccine

2 minutes ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

Yeah, my dogs have the lyme vaccine

My vet never mentioned it…I heard about it elsewhere…thankfully Sadie never showed symptoms and seems to be doing fine.👍🏼

• Like 2