Woodchucks

2 hours ago, sleepybrew said:

wow. sounds like you have used that setup before. good shit

I watched a video of a guy doing it. Propane is heavy so it goes down in the hole and the oxygen makes it go boom.

Just now, Anler said:

I was thinking car exhaust or something. Run a hose from the tail pipe into the hole. Pretty humane they just go to sleep

Could be an option, but they are under a pretty expansive pile of wood - I guess its worth a try if the trapping doesn't continue to yield dividends.

3 hours ago, Mag6240 said:

Besides the trusty rifle that I can't use in an urban setting, what works to get rid of them?

I have a couple live traps, and some leg traps that haven't netted the bastages yet.... Haven't seen any in over 8 years, and suddenly this year we have FAMILIES of them.  Yes, local development has pushed them into my 10 acres damnit!

live traps and patience.

had a family of 7 in my old pole barn, sat 3 mornings in a row

about 25 yards from their exit hole for about a hour each morning,

3 days 7 chucks, death by 20 gauge.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mag6240 said:

Besides the trusty rifle that I can't use in an urban setting, what works to get rid of them?

I have a couple live traps, and some leg traps that haven't netted the bastages yet.... Haven't seen any in over 8 years, and suddenly this year we have FAMILIES of them.  Yes, local development has pushed them into my 10 acres damnit!

We always used .22 Shorts out of a .22 long rifle, make sure the rifle is sighted in using the .22 Shorts as they are a lighter grained bullet, go for head shot or heart shot. A .22 Short round coming out of a .22 long rifle isn't any louder than you clapping your hands together trying to scare something away from your yard, works great for raccoons at night too. You will need to load the.22 rounds one at a time in your rifle. We use to whistle at the ground hogs and they would stand up on their hind legs most of the time, shoot it in the center of the chest or a head shot.  

1637663387_GrounghogTarget2.jpg.ddd614c6e128ce422e5d77d06d56c0e4.jpg

1117302249_Groundhogtarget.jpg.215afb0a1a8182035c143ca81d7635f7.jpg

groundhog.jpg.f4bbe6e4ba5054fc50995ada887c0adc.jpg

1829022513_Groundhog2.jpg.7fb022ceff5ee9a7480d08fb81c480f4.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jerry 976 said:

We always used .22 Shorts out of a .22 long rifle, make sure the rifle is sighted in using the .22 Shorts as they are a lighter grained bullet, go for head shot or heart shot. A .22 Short round coming out of a .22 long rifle isn't any louder than you clapping your hands together trying to scare something away from your yard, works great for raccoons at night too. You will need to load the.22 rounds one at a time in your rifle. We use to whistle at the ground hogs and they would stand up on their hind legs most of the time, shoot it in the center of the chest or a head shot.  

1637663387_GrounghogTarget2.jpg.ddd614c6e128ce422e5d77d06d56c0e4.jpg

1117302249_Groundhogtarget.jpg.215afb0a1a8182035c143ca81d7635f7.jpg

groundhog.jpg.f4bbe6e4ba5054fc50995ada887c0adc.jpg

1829022513_Groundhog2.jpg.7fb022ceff5ee9a7480d08fb81c480f4.jpg

I occasionally light firecrackers one at a time to scare em. It dupes the neighbors when I use the 22.

When I was a kid my dad emptied the holding tank on the RV into one of those portable blue containers.  Found the nearby chuck hole and dumped the tank.  Didn’t kill Um but sure was fun to see them comin out of the hole

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Mag6240 said:

Peanut butter and Cucumbers were the bait - Lead will be his dessert!

Nooooo!!  you never let a perfect opportunity go to waste!  That's the perfect setup right there to get even with someone. 

Right in their mailbox that fucker would go!  Alive.:snack:

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Mainecat said:

I occasionally light firecrackers one at a time to scare em. It dupes the neighbors when I use the 22.

Excellent  defense/ screen from neighborhood rats 

• Platinum Contributing Member
17 hours ago, Anler said:

I was thinking car exhaust or something. Run a hose from the tail pipe into the hole. Pretty humane they just go to sleep

Yep with moles I just run some radiator hose from a lawn mower or atv exhaust into the hole for the stubborn ones that avoid the traps.  

There is a trapper who comes around and gets them in farm fields with conibear body traps.   $15.00 per body.   He gets them by the dozens in some fields. 

Edited by Highmark

40 minutes ago, EvilBird said:

Ive had moles every year but now this year I got chipmunks everywhere around my foundation.  WTF I hate rodents. 

Rat Traps with peanut butter work great for these guys!  I think the little woman and I caught 31 or 32 last summer/fall - haven't seen a one this year yet.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Gold Member
7 minutes ago, Mag6240 said:

Rat Traps with peanut butter work great for these guys!  I think the little woman and I caught 31 or 32 last summer/fall - haven't seen a one this year yet.

I use peanut butter in my detached garage for the mice I catch a ton. 

Ill grab some rat traps and try some around the house then for the munks 👍

• Like 1

11 hours ago, EvilBird said:

I use peanut butter in my detached garage for the mice I catch a ton. 

Ill grab some rat traps and try some around the house then for the munks 👍

try the 5 gallon bucket trick.

fill he bucket about half full put a 2x4 with some bird seed or corn pellets on 

the board , sprinkle some bird seed in the water also , they walk up the board then

go in the bucket for the seed and can,t get out.

this has worked for me.

On 5/10/2022 at 2:44 PM, MnDean said:

He looks hungry, what does he eat ? I personally feed them lead.

Pond or a barrel of water while still in the trap.

No mess.

• Like 2