Nuclear Power Plants/Three Mile Island

When are we going to start using Nuclear again?  Just watched a Documentary about 3 mile island.  None of the predictions came true.  There isn't an over abundance of cancer in the population, many of the people that worked there are still alive.  Years have passed and the children never developed growth defects.  All the activists around that era were wrong.   Why is the American public so worried about this type of cheap energy production?

Jimmy Carter said back in the 50's he was exposed to 1 min 29 seconds on radiation helping decommission a nuclear reactor.  That guy is 97 years OLD.  Ironic.

Edited by racer254
  • Like 1

it is the real solution to independence from oil and coal.  make so many that electricity is cheap and  houses can move to it as a heat source and every home can have at least 1 EV.   i can't imagine how much i would be heating electric right now,  i'd guess close to 1500/mo vs 500 in nat gas

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, racer254 said:

When are we going to start using Nuclear again?  Just watched a Documentary about 3 mile island.  None of the predictions came true.  There isn't an over abundance of cancer in the population, many of the people that worked there are still alive.  Years have passed and the children never developed growth defects.  All the activists around that era were wrong.   Why is the American public so worried about this type of cheap energy production?

Jimmy Carter said back in the 50's he was exposed to 1 min 29 seconds on radiation helping decommission a nuclear reactor.  That guy is 97 years OLD.  Ironic.

Because they've been brainwashed to be because of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, 3 mile island and Chernobyl. 

It's proven daily, weekly, monthly and yearly. The media can spin up anything that is sent to them from their funded sources and the ignorant will gobble it up as fact. 

diesel and home oil almost 7.00 a gallon here. wait till that hits the dinner table, and the already inflated electric bill. people won't want to plug in a lamp, let alone a car

The problem no one seems to bring up when it comes to Three Mile island and Chernobyl is the fundamental flaw in the fuel. Our Nuclear fuel is based off of our nuclear weapons program which means we are using overly refined and much more dangerous fuels.  If we have a fundamental shift in how we approach Nuclear it could easily shift the US towards energy independence.   

• Like 2

Gen IV can use the fuel we already have.  Some estimates say that we have enough "spent" fuel from existing reactors to power country-wide Gen IV nukes for 100 years.

Gen III and IV shut themselves down if power is lost, meaning they won't melt down if there's a problem feeding power to the plant itself.  New plants also can be built smaller and on the same property as existing Gen II plants, thus not necessary to transport spent fuel from one facility over the road to another facility.

I think attitudes are changing.  The Russian situation has made it very clear to European countries that their fossil fuel reliance is tenuous at best.  Prior to this year, attitudes were already changing in the U.S. and I think things are moving in the right direction.  Boris Johnson recently announced that he wanted to build one new nuke plant every year.

• Like 1

It certainly would be at our interests to Federalize the nuclear reactors, and let The Department of the NAVY, run them in the same manor as they operate their boats...  Atomic boats are used with out incident.

Next, time to start designing the next generation of power plants.

France has a very interesting nuclear power program . . .

We're going to need more electricity to charge the yuppies Porsche and Range Rovers . . .

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member

I remember when seabrook ( nh ) station opened a lot of people I knew from mass Asked me if I was concerned about living in a state with a nuclear reactor. I said no, If I was concerned I would be more concerned with Rowe MAss and Vernon VT. Both are a lot closer to me. They looked at me in amazement as they had never heard of either one and didnt know they existed.

2 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

I remember when seabrook ( nh ) station opened a lot of people I knew from mass Asked me if I was concerned about living in a state with a nuclear reactor. I said no, If I was concerned I would be more concerned with Rowe MAss and Vernon VT. Both are a lot closer to me. They looked at me in amazement as they had never heard of either one and didnt know they existed.

Hampton Beach will be selling glowing fried dough and hot dogs for the next 10,000 years if that thing lets go.

Build tons of tiny nuke plants, especially near the coasts.

Pump in sea water to cool them.

Capture the steam.

Run the remaining water through Reverse Osmosis.

Pump the brine at high velocity at mid level depths so it quickly dilutes (rather than current brine deposits which are low velocity and settle on the sea floor)

This solves all our energy problems and goes a long way towards solving the west's water problems.  Everyone can run their AC at 65F and drive an electric Hummer.  Everybody wins.

• Like 3

I think we should move away from water towards thorium salt reactors. the pressure vessel or in the case of Chernobyl the lack of one is one of the main problems with nuclear energy. I would say that both three mile island and Fukashima were both pressure vessel/water problems. Nuclear safety needs to be more passive and that would be easier to do without water.  

• Thanks 1