Hand signals??

Hand Signals  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use hand signals when sledding?

4 hours ago, Doomxz600 said:

I have enough business of mine to mind I don't have time to mind yours. Ride your own sled and I will ride mine.

This pretty much nailed it.  Let's all watch what we are doing and ride with our machines under enough control that we can slow and pass safely.

2 hours ago, Icecube said:

I am on occasion deaf in both ears... so please take that into consideration when you pass me!

If at all reasonably possible, we try to pass at stops and intersections.  I really don't like to pass but it's become necessary because everyone out there thinks they are the only ones on the trails or, have otherwise decided that their speed and how they enjoy the trails is how everyone should.  Bottom line, when I have to pass, it's going to be fast and furious because I don't have a lot of time and straights on my standard route.  So, it's going to be a bit "exhilarating" for the ones getting passed.  I absolutely hate passing women and children for this reason.  Oblivious parents raise oblivious kids.  How sad.

1 hour ago, Angry ginger said:

most people militant about hand signals are the last people that should take their hands off the bar.  

Pretty much.

17 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

This pretty much nailed it.  Let's all watch what we are doing and ride with our machines under enough control that we can slow and pass safely.

If at all reasonably possible, we try to pass at stops and intersections.  I really don't like to pass but it's become necessary because everyone out there thinks they are the only ones on the trails or, have otherwise decided that their speed and how they enjoy the trails is how everyone should.  Bottom line, when I have to pass, it's going to be fast and furious because I don't have a lot of time and straights on my standard route.  So, it's going to be a bit "exhilarating" for the ones getting passed.  I absolutely hate passing women and children for this reason.  Oblivious parents raise oblivious kids.  How sad.

Pretty much.

People get offended regardless of how safe you pass them.  is ridiculous.   Ive passed north of 20 sleds on a straight stretch of road leaving one of the lunch spots in maine.   people tooling down a 20 foot wide 2 mile straight at 20-25 mph which is fine if that's how you want to ride but don't be offended when i go by you.  

• Like 1

Just now, Angry ginger said:

People get offended regardless of how safe you pass them.  is ridiculous.   Ive passed north of 20 sleds on a straight stretch of road leaving one of the lunch spots in maine.   people tooling down a 20 foot wide 2 mile straight at 20-25 mph which is fine if that's how you want to ride but don't be offended when i go by you.  

Nobody likes to get passed.  I get that.  But it needs to be part of riding and learning the sport.  If somebody passes you and it upsets your whole day, time to find something else to do.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Nobody likes to get passed.  I get that.  But it needs to be part of riding and learning the sport.  If somebody passes you and it upsets your whole day, time to find something else to do.

I had to have that conversation with one of the older guys in our group a couple years ago.  He's always the guy to argue that he's the end of the line ... because he likes to ride at a more leisurely pace & then we just wait for him every so often (assuming he knows where we're going).  Well, he got passed by a couple of throttle jockeys a few years ago and was PISSED.  And this guy, although he's older (late 60's), is a freaking LUMBERJACK ... stronger than an ox and could put a hurtin' on most guys if he really lost his cool.  We eventually caught up with the throttle jockeys at the next watering hole and he went off on them.  Thankfully they were cool about it, and just let our guy rant.  But my buddy and I finally stepped in and got him to step away.  I don't know if it really sank in, or not, but explaining to him that people have the right to pass & the safest way to do it is to try and "announce their presence" with some braps, followed by a quick pass at a safe spot.  I know it probably scared the shit out of him (hell, I get caught off guard at times too).  But I didn't feel like the guys that passed him did anything wrong.

Told him if he doesn't like it, he should start using mirrors and the moment he sees headlights behind him and they're gaining on him ... pull over.  That's the risk you take riding at a leisurely pace.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Bontz said:

I had to have that conversation with one of the older guys in our group a couple years ago.  He's always the guy to argue that he's the end of the line ... because he likes to ride at a more leisurely pace & then we just wait for him every so often (assuming he knows where we're going).  Well, he got passed by a couple of throttle jockeys a few years ago and was PISSED.  And this guy, although he's older (late 60's), is a freaking LUMBERJACK ... stronger than an ox and could put a hurtin' on most guys if he really lost his cool.  We eventually caught up with the throttle jockeys at the next watering hole and he went off on them.  Thankfully they were cool about it, and just let our guy rant.  But my buddy and I finally stepped in and got him to step away.  I don't know if it really sank in, or not, but explaining to him that people have the right to pass & the safest way to do it is to try and "announce their presence" with some braps, followed by a quick pass at a safe spot.  I know it probably scared the shit out of him (hell, I get caught off guard at times too).  But I didn't feel like the guys that passed him did anything wrong.

Told him if he doesn't like it, he should start using mirrors and the moment he sees headlights behind him and they're gaining on him ... pull over.  That's the risk you take riding at a leisurely pace.

I just love getting stuck behind slower groups that NEVER LOOK BEHIND THEM or USE THEIR FUCKING MIRRORS - because I care about peoples feelings.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Pretty much.

Agree with it all Zam...

for the oncoming if I can and I am lead, I will give you info on what is coming your way in regards to my group or if you have a uncommon hazard coming, I will try to give you a slow down warning.

the trails are not race tracks... there are families out enjoying the sport as they rightfully should.

P.S I am not occasionally deaf, just slower then most.🤣

🐸

42 minutes ago, Bontz said:

Oh yes, I just love the awkward trailside "chats".  :lol: They are rare but, I've had a few.  Nobody ever got real snippy about it though....but I bet in their minds when they pulled up, they were gonna!  

Like I said, I get why people don't like to be passed and I certainly get how they get passed by us is a bit unnerving to say the least but (and I tell them this) this could have been avoided if you had just looked behind them as they bobbed down the trail.  

Now...gonna "ThunderDragon" this bitch a bit!  :lmao:

34 minutes ago, Doomxz600 said:

Ride at whatever pace you like but do so on the right so a overtaking sled has room. IDK why folks put mirrors on sleds if they never use them. If you ride like someone is always coming then that includes whats behind you also.

Again....fuck!  people just need to glance behind them every so often.  ESPECIALLY at stops.  We try to wait for the next stop but, if they don't even look then well, it's coming!

31 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

I just love getting stuck behind slower groups that NEVER LOOK BEHIND THEM or USE THEIR FUCKING MIRRORS - because I care about peoples feelings.

yep.

28 minutes ago, Icecube said:

Agree with it all Zam...

for the oncoming if I can and I am lead, I will give you info on what is coming your way in regards to my group or if you have a uncommon hazard coming, I will try to give you a slow down warning.

the trails are not race tracks... there are families out enjoying the sport as they rightfully should.

P.S I am not occasionally deaf, just slower then most.🤣

🐸

This is a good idea for those leading the ride.  Everyone should be reminded of trail etiquette at the onset and every rider has a responsibility to look behind them.  It's so refreshing when we all run into a group that is well versed and prepared for others on the trail and the wave we give them as we pass is one of GREAT appreciation.  :bc:

20 minutes ago, Doomxz600 said:

So what color light do I put on my sled telling everyone its ok to pass now, Yellow and Green with a clear head light go on the front and a Red goes on the back so whats left ?

I heard the ground LED lights may be good now.  :lol: 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Doomxz600 said:

So what color light do I put on my sled telling everyone its ok to pass now, Yellow and Green with a clear head light go on the front and a Red goes on the back so whats left ?

probably completely lighting the riders in their appropriate colors... UnitedRelievedFirebelliedtoad-small.gif

1 minute ago, Zambroski said:

Oh yes, I just love the awkward trailside "chats".  :lol: They are rare but, I've had a few.  Nobody ever got real snippy about it though....but I bet in their minds when they pulled up, they were gonna!  

Like I said, I get why people don't like to be passed and I certainly get how they get passed by us is a bit unnerving to say the least but (and I tell them this) this could have been avoided if you had just looked behind them as they bobbed down the trail.  

Again....fuck!  people just need to glance behind them every so often.  ESPECIALLY at stops.  We try to wait for the next stop but, if they don't even look then well, it's coming!

This is a good idea for those leading the ride.  Everyone should be reminded of trail etiquette at the onset and every rider has a responsibility to look behind them.  It's so refreshing when we all run into a group that is well versed and prepared for others on the trail and the wave we give them as we pass is one of GREAT appreciation.  :bc:

all it really takes is a little consideration for others and being aware of WTF is going on around you.  is it really that much to ask?

we got into a little 'discussion' a few winters ago in southern Wisconsin when we had two dopes riding in front of us completely oblivious to the fact that we were stuck behind them for a few MILES.  lead rider finally had enough and went around them through the powder (yes, outside the markers) and we followed suit - turns out the lead idiot was the local trail boss and he wasn't happy when he ran into us at lunch.  he was even less happy when I asked him if he ever bothered to look behind himself or use his mirrors when he stopped at four road crossings, or to see if the person following him (with our entire group up that guys ass) was doing ok?  then he went on a long diatribe about how the trail system worked, and blah blah blah so I politely asked him to back off because my lunch was ready and my Irish blood was starting to percolate.

had he just looked once, let us by and shown good trail manners... no problem.    

• Like 1

Just now, Crnr2Crnr said:

probably completely lighting the riders in their appropriate colors... UnitedRelievedFirebelliedtoad-small.gif

all it really takes is a little consideration for others and being aware of WTF is going on around you.  is it really that much to ask?

we got into a little 'discussion' a few winters ago in southern Wisconsin when we had two dopes riding in front of us completely oblivious to the fact that we were stuck behind them for a few MILES.  lead rider finally had enough and went around them through the powder (yes, outside the markers) and we followed suit - turns out the lead idiot was the local trail boss and he wasn't happy when he ran into us at lunch.  he was even less happy when I asked him if he ever bothered to look behind himself or use his mirrors when he stopped at four road crossings, or to see if the person following him (with our entire group up that guys ass) was doing ok?  then he went on a long diatribe about how the trail system worked, and blah blah blah so I politely asked him to back off because my lunch was ready and my Irish blood was starting to percolate.

had he just looked once, let us by and shown good trail manners... no problem.    

My favorites are the ones that do look back then decide they want to try and pick up the pace.  Look, it's too late.  Faster riders came up on you. Let them pass.  Don't make me pass you while you are riding at your maximum skill level and scare the fucking shit out of you. :lol: 

5 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

My favorites are the ones that do look back then decide they want to try and pick up the pace.  Look, it's too late.  Faster riders came up on you. Let them pass.  Don't make me pass you while you are riding at your maximum skill level and scare the fucking shit out of you. :lol: 

and that's when unnecessary 'accidents' typically happen

• Thanks 1

Just now, Crnr2Crnr said:

and that's when unnecessary 'accidents' typically happen

Yep.  It's scary as fuck watching some of these guys wrestle their machines around as they cross over the center on every turn.  Jesus.  Many times, we just stop and let them get far enough ahead or take another route before these clowns kill somebody trying to outrun us.  It's just stupid.  JUST LET FASTER RIDERS PASS.  I don't see why this is so hard.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Yep.  It's scary as fuck watching some of these guys wrestle their machines around as they cross over the center on every turn.  Jesus.  Many times, we just stop and let them get far enough ahead or take another route before these clowns kill somebody trying to outrun us.  It's just stupid.  JUST LET FASTER RIDERS PASS.  I don't see why this is so hard.

one thing I've learned over the years... completely avoid riding in areas where snowmobile rentals are prevalent.  those mf'ers are one stage beyond the drunken weekend warriors 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I will use hand signals depending on the situation. I tend to lead a lot and ride faster than one of the groups I ride with. Normally I am riding well below my skill level to not get too far ahead and can easily throw up a hand signal to let them know more people are behind me if I am in a straight away. If I am coming up on someone in a straight away and I can't take my hand off the bars for a few seconds while meeting them, than I am probably going to fast for the current situation. Corners are a different story obviously. I will also ride in the very back of this pack as well and can easily throw up a last man hand signal in most cases. It all really depends on the situation and conditions.

I have no idea what the light system is. I have never heard of it until this thread.

7 minutes ago, BobRoss said:

I have no idea what the light system is. I have never heard of it until this thread.

as much as I poke fun at the ride lite malarkey it's actually not the worst idea as it's intention is/was to keep riders hands on the handlebars.  of course people have/can/will shoot holes in the system.

another thing that's funny is when you come up on a group of slower riders and no matter if they have ride lites or are using hand signals, the guy in the back of the pack (unless he's actually paying attention) keeps giving oncoming riders the thumbs up for all clear.  those make for interesting situations as well.

again, awareness...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Doomxz600 said:

Ride at whatever pace you like but do so on the right so a overtaking sled has room. IDK why folks put mirrors on sleds if they never use them. If you ride like someone is always coming then that includes whats behind you also.

I like the ones that spend almost enough time looking at you behind them, in their mirrors, that they almost lose control and crash their shit. Move over and let me by. 

I am more of a hazard to the shit on the right side of the trail than I am to on coming traffics because I ride FAR right pretty much all the time. Even on straightaways. I don’t drive my car/truck down the middle of the road so why do so with my sled? 

• Like 1

The sleds that have mirrors never use them. Wtf ? 

Most of our trails don’t have places to pass. Windy, narrow, tons of sharp turns.

Seems people with no mirrors notice you behind them faster than those with mirrors. Some with mirrors never notice. Ugghhh.

I passed a few new sled Skidoo owners the other year having to go across 40-50yds open water to do it. Only about 20-30ft from trail.

Imagine being passed this way and by a lone guy driving a POS 900 Fusion. :lol:

Freaking guys had me stuck behind them for 3-4-5 miles going stupidly slow. Yes, both had mirrors.

Edited by CFM

2 hours ago, Zambroski said:

Those are always the best. When my riding buddies and I were single, we use to find those idiots at the bar later on and hit on their women right in front of them. Ahh, good times. 

• Like 1

Just now, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

Those are always the best. When my riding buddies and I were single, we use to find those idiots at the bar later on and hit on their women right in front of them. Ahh, good times. 

We'd have a great time together...then we'd go beat the fuck out of each other.  Then repeat the next night.  :lol: 

WHAT SIZE CROCS DO YOU WEAR?

19 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

We'd have a great time together...then we'd go beat the fuck out of each other.  Then repeat the next night.  :lol: 

WHAT SIZE CROCS DO YOU WEAR?

You mad bro? :lol:

13. I was just getting ready to order a new set. My garage pair are getting pretty worn down and starting to lack traction. :lol2:

Just now, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

You mad bro? :lol:

13. I was just getting ready to order a new set. My garage pair are getting pretty worn down and starting to lack traction. :lol2:

Yeah....unplanned "splits" on a wet garage floor will ruin one's sex life for a while.  My dog took one of my favorite pairs outside and made rubber confetti out of them last week.  BUT...I always have new ones waiting!

Just now, Zambroski said:

Yeah....unplanned "splits" on a wet garage floor will ruin one's sex life for a while.  My dog took one of my favorite pairs outside and made rubber confetti out of them last week.  BUT...I always have new ones waiting!

New ones waiting?  Call it a hunch .... 🤣

image.png.fb544e38e308c9d0630fc18caab52e5b.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2