Hand signals??

Hand Signals  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use hand signals when sledding?

7 minutes ago, ckf said:

I think it's outdated and everyone should keep their hands on the handlebars :good:

Yep.  Couldn't agree more.  I'm not doing it any longer.  And if it makes me an "ass" for being more concerned at keeping my sled COMPLETELY under control so we pass each other safely, then so be it.  Just assume I have someone behind me....even if they are Waaayyy back there.  :lol:

And any of you teaching your young kids to signal while they try to control a vehicle that weighs 6-8 times more than them, need a little "hand signal" themselves.  HANDS ON THE FUCKING POST!!!!!!

Edited by Zambroski
  • Like 3

I get the occasional "You're #1" signal from riders because I don't signal them :lol:

They stopped teaching it to the kids during the safety course in NH several years ago.

12 minutes ago, ckf said:

I get the occasional "You're #1" signal from riders because I don't signal them :lol:

They stopped teaching it to the kids during the safety course in NH several years ago.

Three years ago I had a large group of sledders pass me and the first half dozen or so where opening and closing their hands rapidly....I didn't know what that meant but apparently it was giving me a count....5+5+5+3 or whatever.  :lol: After I passed the whole group each and all trying to give some type of count to me while controlling their sled, that was the beginning of the end for me...we've officially reached "crazy stage" when the courtesy of letting someone know how many are behind you is more important than maintaining control.  Enough is enough with that stuff.

Edited by Zambroski

I ride anticipating there may be an oncoming sled. What is the difference if it is the first of a group that you don't get any warning about or someone down the line in a group or a solo rider. I would rather have that guy coming over the crest of a hill at a crazy speed keep his hands on the bars.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I hate hand signals.

Since the wife took up riding in the  SXS, I am forced to.

She is obsessed with the damn  hand signals, so I am either forced to either throw out some digits or listen to her bitch about not signaling.

38 minutes ago, Cold War said:

I hate hand signals.

Since the wife took up riding in the  SXS, I am forced to.

She is obsessed with the damn  hand signals, so I am either forced to either throw out some digits or listen to her bitch about not signaling.

In that case I can see where they are useful. I will still occasionally signal to someone in my group riding behind me. I just don't signal to oncoming riders.

I sometimes do....and not sure what dictates when or why I do.

Likely when I am on a smooth trail, where control is a non issue.

I really do think it is a waste, but I still find myself doing it sometimes....bad habits I guess! 

5 hours ago, ckf said:

In that case I can see where they are useful. I will still occasionally signal to someone in my group riding behind me. I just don't signal to oncoming riders.

If we are out riding during a weekday, I don't mind letting another group we have more coming. Especially, when one couple rides slow and is usually way behind. During the weekend there is too many people.  I have no idea how many people have piled up behind that couple who is always putting along.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Stoney said:

I sometimes do....and not sure what dictates when or why I do.

Likely when I am on a smooth trail, where control is a non issue.

I really do think it is a waste, but I still find myself doing it sometimes....bad habits I guess! 

I'm the same, I do sometimes but not always. Depends if I need both hands on the bars or not. I think they are a waste of time though for the most part.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree . Keep the hands on the bars.  You're also giving false information to oncoming traffic I'd you signal that you're the last in your group ,but there's another fast approaching fron behind . One of the older guys in our group gets pissy if no one else uses signals. He just doesn't get it

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I tend not to signal and keep both hands on the handlebars. I may use them if for example I come across someone riding down the middle of the trail, going faster than they should be and they are approaching a bend when I have others behind me. I guess I am hoping that they will wake up, slow down and stay on their side of the trail rather than run into someone on the bend. I sometimes wonder why when you're out on the ice of a lake and can see as far as the horizon in all directions people feel the need to signal there are others behind them when you can't miss those others. Habit I guess.