Fog, Start and let it run a couple times or just park it

Until you have problems there's no incorrect answer.

I'm old school pull the side air box plenum off and lay a hose in each throttle body, warm it up good and fog the motor as its running.  Ski-Doo has a nice feature to fog a sled with their Oil mode.  The only minor to that would be that oil injection oil is meant to have a low pour point and to lube a running motor where fogging oil is meant to adhere to components to prevent moisture and rust.

Fuel tank I fill up with with non ethanol premium and seafoam stabil to keep the fuel pump submerged but symphony it out in the fall to be used in the snow blowers.

• Like 1

My sleds get a full tank of non-oxy premium, get started every 2-3 weeks all summer, and brought up to full operating temp on stand to spin the track over a few times.

Edited by Mag6240
  • Like 2

With my Axys I've been pulling the plugs and using a long nozzle to get through the ports on the cylinder down into the base to spray fogging oil.  I do both sides, put the plugs back in and run for a couple seconds, then shut it down.  This is after putting stabilized non ethanol fuel in the tank and running it for a while to get it through the system.

I've always added Seafoam on my last ride, then added a little 2-stroke to the gas and let it run for a bit before putting away.  I realize the 2-stroke isn't adherent like fogging oil, but I've never had problems after doing it this way, sled or 2-stroke outboard (knock on wood).

• Gold Member
On 5/1/2022 at 12:19 PM, Mag6240 said:

My sleds get a full tank of non-oxy premium, get started every 2-3 weeks all summer, and brought up to full operating temp on stand to spin the track over a few times.

That’s what I do too. I feel it’s better to run every week or two and keep things moving bearings, clutches etc. rather than just sitting for 8-9months.

• Like 1

100% agree on the no correct/incorrect answer ... I've done it both ways with success.  The last few seasons (when I've actually kept a sled) I've done the fogging thing.  But prior to that, I was a firm believer in starting my sled monthly, running it up to temp and spinning the track/clutches a little bit.  My '22 is sitting and waiting to be started in another week or two, since I chose not to fog this time.

• Like 1

Maybe over kill....  But I followed Polaris's recommendations. since my first new Indy 400 . . 

1.  Treat fuel.

2. Run to get treated fuel in carbs.

3.  Fog engine ..

4.  Pull spark plugs + 1 Oz oil per cylinder.   Slowly turn over by hand to distribute oil.

Reinstall spark plugs. 

5.  Drain carburetors 

6. Drain fuel tank / seal inlets.

7.  Steel wool in exhaust tail pipe.  

Cover exhaust discharge with small can.

Cover / seal Airbox to keep mice out.

8. Silicone spray engine compartment.

9.  Silicone spray undercarriage.

10.  Wax hood.

11.  303 / protector on seat.

12.  Cover with clean sheets.

13.  Start by washing sled

Edited by ICG
Spelling

I don't have any first hand experience with it, but the idea of draining the fuel tank ... some swear by it, others don't.  The only reason I don't do that is because someone once said it exposes the fuel pump and you don't want that for an extended period of time.  So I just go with anything around a 1/2 tank or so, and then syphon it out before the first ride of the following season.

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member

Some sort of fuel treatment and fire her up every few weeks…kind of worried about the midsummer temps inside my black enclosed trailer though…hopefully she’ll be OK.🤷🏻

Full stabilized fuel, fog with a hose into the transfer ports, zircs greased, complete wash, detail, belt & battery removed, all bags/tools etc removed, and stored away.  I am not a fan of starting regularly unless you can really heat soak everything and without a load that is really tough.

• Gold Member

The only time I stored my sled with the fire it up every couple weeks the damn thing stuck a ring the next season.  Now I just spray fog oil down the plug holes while rolling the clutch over.  Non ethy gas in the tank with sea foam.  Belt off and stored up on the sled lift.  I keep them in my garage and it never gets above 72 degrees in there with 50% humidity.  I think that is the most important part.  Keep em out of the humidity.