25e679e6fe6f64bdae5ae33f908225f0

© Provided by Eat This, Not That!
Abby Reinhard
Thu, April 21, 2022, 4:46 PM

In this article:
  •  

• Anthony Fauci
    Anthony Fauci
    American immunologist and head of the U.S. National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases

COVID cases are on the rise in the U.S., and while this uptick is so far a far cry from previous surges, it just goes to show that we're not out of the woods just yet. Since April 13, cases have increased by almost 20 percent from the previous week's average, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Protection (CDC). The CDC attributes a majority of these cases to the BA.2 variant—a sublineage of Omicron, the introduction of which caused an unpleasant surge during the holiday season. Considering these rising numbers, Anthony Fauci, MD, top White House COVID advisor, has issued a new warning for all Americans—boosted or not.

In an interview with the Tennessean, Fauci commented on the state of the pandemic, noting that there is no clear "end" for the virus. "There's no chance we're going to eliminate SARS-CoV-2," Fauci told the newspaper. "We've only eliminated one viral human pathogen in history—smallpox. And then there are the ones we've eliminated in this country, which are polio and measles."

Unlike vaccination for measles and polio, which generally last for life, immunity from vaccination or exposure to COVID-19 doesn't last all that long, Fauci said. This means that even if you are vaccinated and boosted, you could still be at risk of contracting the virus again. The issue is further compounded, as some Americans don't want to get the COVID vaccine, Fauci said.

However, even amid rising numbers, not all hope is lost, as hospitalizations and death do not seem to be increasing at the same rate as cases. "So, what will likely happen is that, over a period of time, there will be a low level of infection that's present but not necessarily disruptive," Fauci told the Tennessean. "And likely—I don't know how often the interval will be—but likely, we'll get vaccinated somewhat similarly to what we do with the flu."

Fauci's statements coincide with discussions held earlier this month. On April 6, the Food and Drug Administration's (FDA) Vaccines and Related Biological Products Advisory Committee (VRPAC) met to discuss the potential of updating existing vaccines to improve effectiveness, and whether or not the process should be similar to the one used to update flu vaccines every year. The committee did not reach a firm conclusion on these topics, as reported by Stat, but Fauci is now suggesting we may have to live with COVID, just as we live with the flu.

When asked about whether he anticipates COVID existing as an "ordinary, seasonal virus," Fauci said it was impossible to say for sure at this point, but that "it seems more likely than not that that will be the case."

For now, getting vaccinated and boosted is the best available strategy, and people who are eligible to receive an additional second booster should consider their individual risk, Fauci said. Currently, the fourth shot is recommended for those over the age of 50 who received their initial booster at least four months prior, as well as for those who are immunocompromised.

"If you're talking to me about a man who's 52 who has diabetes and hypertension, I would recommend that person get a boost," Fauci said, adding that those over 65 should also make an appointment. "If you have someone who's 50, 51, perfectly healthy, athletic, with no underlying conditions, I say it may not be necessary. It depends on your personal risk aversion."

Fauci was also asked about masking on airplanes and public transportation, which became a hot topic after a federal judge in Florida ruled that the CDC mandate was unlawful. Following the ruling, major airlines have dropped the mask mandate. Fauci, however, called the court order "unfortunate."

"I follow the CDC guidelines. And the CDC wanted to extend the mandate for the 15-day period beyond April 18, up to May 3," he said. "The reason they wanted to do that was they wanted to see what the part of infection is during this bit of a surge we're seeing."

28 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

"If you have someone who's 50, 51, perfectly healthy, athletic, with no underlying conditions, I say it may not be necessary"

But yet he and everyone associated with him pushed them on everybody, including perfectly healthy children. :S

• Sad 1

This is never going away.  No different than any flu any of us have had since we were 5 years old.... Immune compromised people should take caution!  The rest of us, have long moved on with our lives, and could give two shits about anything Fauci says.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, irv said:

But yet he and everyone associated with him pushed them on everybody, including perfectly healthy children. :S

By “it” you realize he’s talking about the fourth shot, aka second booster…..right?  Don’t recall him ever pushing this specific dose on all age groups.  

"If you have someone who's 50, 51, perfectly healthy, athletic, with no underlying conditions, I say it may not be necessary. It depends on your personal risk aversion."

Edited by Plissken

perfectly healthy, athletic, with no underlying conditions, I say it may not be necessary. It depends on your personal risk aversion." 

remember when this idea was heresy to the cult of Covid?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ACE said:

perfectly healthy, athletic, with no underlying conditions, I say it may not be necessary. It depends on your personal risk aversion." 

No.

32 minutes ago, Plissken said:

By “it” you realize he’s talking about the fourth shot, aka second booster…..right?  Don’t recall him ever pushing this specific dose on all age groups.  

"If you have someone who's 50, 51, perfectly healthy, athletic, with no underlying conditions, I say it may not be necessary. It depends on your personal risk aversion."

You realize the booster, whether it's your first, 2nd, 3rd or 4th is the same as the first 2 shots that were developed for Delta?

Show me in this link, right from our own Gov't, where it reads it is imperative that everyone should get it, especially healthy young children like they were pushing so hard on everyone. 

Healthy young adults, adolescents and children who contracted the virus have been the least likely to develop severe complications from COVID-19, including death. In fact, 100% of the COVID-involved deaths of Canadians under the age of 45 as of July 31 had at least one other disease or condition certified on the medical certificate of death. The proportion of those with at least one other disease or condition decreases with age, ranging from 93% for those aged 45 to 64 to 89% for those aged 85 years or older.

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/pub/45-28-0001/2020001/article/00087-eng.htm

19 minutes ago, ACE said:

Yep. You didn't care about others at all, especially Grandma, and to hell with your own natural immune system and whether you were in good health or not.

Remember the incentives they were using trying to get everyone jabbed? Lottery tickets, free beer, free burger and fries, free sporting event tickets. The list goes on and on. 

11 minutes ago, irv said:

You realize the booster, whether it's your first, 2nd, 3rd or 4th is the same as the first 2 shots that were developed for Delta?

Show me in this link, right from our own Gov't, where it reads it is imperative that everyone should get it, especially healthy young children like they were pushing so hard on everyone. 

Healthy young adults, adolescents and children who contracted the virus have been the least likely to develop severe complications from COVID-19, including death. In fact, 100% of the COVID-involved deaths of Canadians under the age of 45 as of July 31 had at least one other disease or condition certified on the medical certificate of death. The proportion of those with at least one other disease or condition decreases with age, ranging from 93% for those aged 45 to 64 to 89% for those aged 85 years or older.

Yep. You didn't care about others at all, especially Grandma, and to hell with your own natural immune system and whether you were in good health or not.

Remember the incentives they were using trying to get everyone jabbed? Lottery tickets, free beer, free burger and fries, free sporting event tickets. The list goes on and on. 

Remember when Moderna said it took them literally 24 hours to come up with the original vax?  Two years later they can't even get an update.

Perfectly reasonable.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Remember when Moderna said it took them literally 24 hours to come up with the original vax?  Two years later they can't even get an update.

Perfectly reasonable.

Curious, since Pfizer was ordered to release their vaccine data/side affect studies immediately rather than 75yrs from now, has Moderna, Astra-Zeneca and J&J released similar/same info about their vaccines? 

13 minutes ago, irv said:

Aaaah,  Wut???  You’re big mads now cause I exposed your incompetence in the field of immunology and this gibberish is all your frantic googling could muster?  Just try harder to keep it 100 instead of seeking out validation for your stubbornness and you’ll come off looking far better, that’s my 2 cents.  

Just now, Plissken said:

Aaaah,  Wut???  You’re big mads now cause I exposed your incompetence in the field of immunology and this gibberish is all your frantic googling could muster?  Just try harder to keep it 100 instead of seeking out validation for your stubbornness and you’ll come off looking far better, that’s my 2 cents.  

Uhh? I have no idea what you're babbling on about? :dunno:

3 minutes ago, irv said:

Uhh? I have no idea what you're babbling on about? :dunno:

I dissed you hardcore cause you’re a dumbass.  I thought I was laying it on rather thick but I guess you’re denser than New York cheesecake.  

7 minutes ago, Plissken said:

I dissed you hardcore cause you’re a dumbass.  I thought I was laying it on rather thick but I guess you’re denser than New York cheesecake.  

You just pissed because you were lied to and got jabbed or did you miss out on the free burger and fries that De Blasio was offering? :dunno:

1 minute ago, Plissken said:

I’m very happy, Cheesecake.  

Well, you're a little odd so I'm glad you're happy. 

1 hour ago, irv said:

Well, you're a little odd so I'm glad you're happy. 

The sheep probably do find the lone wolf a bit odd I suppose.  Now how’s about you make like a cheesecake and chill, while I work up an appetite for your empty calories, k?