Smile while holding your ding-dong

Dogs’ faces evolved to improve connections with people, study suggests

The face muscles of dogs have evolved to be very different than those of wolves, hinting at changes that may have made them more charming to humans.

Kenji, a 13-week-old German Shepard puppy Kenji, a 13-week-old German Shepard puppy, looks to his Puppy Raiser Cindy Tait during a Guiding Eyes for the Blind foundation class at Talbot Community Center, in Easton, Md. on Feb. 15.Carolyn Kaster / AP file

Link copied
  • SAVECreate your free profile or log in to save this article
April 5, 2022, 12:47 PM CDT
By Tom Metcalfe

The faces of dogs have evolved over tens of thousands of years to make them more appealing to humans, unlike the wild wolves they descended from, a new study suggests.

The research shows that the facial muscles of dogs have a much higher proportion of “fast-twitch” muscle fibers than wolves, and scientists think this lets dogs more effectively communicate their feelings to their owners.

The same researchers were involved a few years ago in the discovery that dogs have developed a muscle above their eyes that they use to make their eyes look larger and create that endearing “puppy dog eyes” expression. 

That study found that the muscle was undeveloped in wolves, which suggests that “puppy dog eyes” is something dogs have evolved specifically to manipulate people.

Taken together, the muscle changes suggest dogs’ faces have evolved anatomically to improve their connections with people, said biological anthropologist Anne Burrows, a professor of physical therapy at Duquesne University in Pittsburgh and the leader of the project.

“It’s quite a remarkable difference between dogs and wolves,” she said. “They just don’t move their faces in the same way.”

Burrows and animal physiologist Kailey Omstead, a colleague at Duquesne, presented preliminary findings of their research Tuesday at the Experimental Biology 2022 meeting in Philadelphia.

They found that the muscles in dogs’ faces are 66 percent to 95 percent fast-twitch fibers, while wolves average about 25 percent.

The muscles of all mammals, humans and dogs included, are made of millions of fibers of a protein called myosin. Each muscle has a mix of fast-twitch fibers that contract quickly but are fast to fatigue, and slow-twitch fibers that are slower to contract but don’t tire as fast.

The muscles in human faces are dominated by fast-twitch fibers, so we can express thoughts on our faces in an instant, but not for long. The muscles in our backs, however, are dominated by slow-twitch fibers that tolerate loads for longer.

“If you pick up a 10-pound weight, you can hold it for a full minute,” Burrows said. “But if you try to hold a smile in the mirror for a full minute, you can’t do it. Your face muscles get tired, because your face is dominated by fast-twitch fibers.”

• Gold Member

I read an article somewhere that dogs natural affinity for humans is a survival trait as opposed to a show of our mastery over dogs. The article said dogs evolved to look and act cute/friendly so that we humans would give them food/shelter. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Kivalo said:

I read an article somewhere that dogs natural affinity for humans is a survival trait as opposed to a show of our mastery over dogs. The article said dogs evolved to look and act cute/friendly so that we humans would give them food/shelter. 

well damn it worked, I got 3 that run the show:guzzle:

• Haha 4

• Platinum Contributing Member

Kind of a strange title..lol:dunno:

Love my dogs.... and if there are any orphaned one's from Ukraine I will gladly accept one..... I almost worry more for the fate of them than I do people.

5 minutes ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

Love my dogs.... and if there are any orphaned one's from Ukraine I will gladly accept one..... I almost worry more for the fate of them than I do people.

anybody does anything to my dogs and they will end up being under a paving project on I81

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

“If you pick up a 10-pound weight,(ding-dong) you can hold it for a full minute,” Burrows said. “But if you try to hold a smile in the mirror for a full minute, you can’t do it. Your face muscles get tired, because your face is dominated by fast-twitch fibers.”

Edited by XCR1250