D&D 602 Predator

Crnr2Crnr

Just thought I'd pass along a little information as I was recently considering purchasing a used SP500 with a D&D 602 kit on it.  

The kit...

602 "Predator" kit - for Sno Pro 500 & 4000! Take your mild 80 hp 500 to a whole new level with D&D 602 bolt on big bore. Boasting an incredible 121 hp still using stock exhaust! Featuring an oem style cast piston makes this kit amazingly reliable for the trail riders who want all go and no fuss! Top end kit comes complete with gaskets, o- rings, piston assemblies, advance timing key, big bore ported cylinders, and re chambered head. $1699 with exchange of your cylinders and head. * Power Commander V Fuel controller needed, part number 11-007, D&D Clutch Kit recommended part number 200-5212 Kit includes 602 Cylinders (exchange) Head mods (Exchange) Pistons & Ring kit Base gasket Base shim

D&D 602 PREDATOR KIT for sale in Lowville, NY | D&D Racing (315) 376-8013 (ddracing.com)

I won't get into why I'm not buying this particular sled with the kit in it at this moment, but doing my due diligence I checked more into the specifics of the kit and reached out to D&D to find out if in fact the pistons used in the 602 kit were just 'stock cast 600 pistons' from the older Cats (as rumored on the internet) and as simple as just ordering up a set when freshening the top end of the engine. 

Here's what I was told directly from D&D...

-We use ZR 600 pistons. But the sides of skirts need to be trimmed down to clear the crank wheels.

-OEMs are about 200$ per piston. Plus however much we would charge to cut the skirts down. Unless you have done it b4 it's probably a good idea to have us do it just for safety purposes.

-We are talking about making the 602 kits again. 

So they aren't currently stocking (selling) the kits but if you need pistons for one don't plan on just ordering them from Cat or aftermarket and dropping them in.

It seems like a great kit, makes around current level 600 hp at peak and in a Sno Pro or ZR4000 chassis sounds like it would be a fun little trail weapon.  How long you can run this top end without doing a top end seems to be an unknown.  Having dealt with a D&D 720 complete engine overhaul, buyers should beware and know what it is your purchasing and the potential costs/hassles associated with a rebuild as the jugs, shim, domes and pistons are not all off the shelf components.  

602 on the D&D dyno.  D&D Racing - Sno Pro 500 Dyno Test with New Predator 602cc kit (facebook.com)

@Jimmy Snacks

Edited by Crnr2Crnr
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, taperk600 said:

The one D&D "kit" that I didn't do on the 500SPs....as it came out as I was getting away from the SPs. But always thought about a ProCross 4000RR with one..........

I was pretty close to getting one to add to the collection but this wasn't it...