Any newer GM owners here?

I'm kinda curious here ... how many of you guys own newer GM vehicles, and if you do - anyone experience issues with the fuel management system where the lifter bank(s) fail?  I bought a new '21 Sierra (6.2) in January of '21 and experienced the problem in August.  At that time, I had 7800 miles on the odometer and it was considered the "left bank" needing replacement ... lifters & push rods were on the repair sheet.  Well, fast forward from last August to this past weekend, and the damn thing happened again .. of course it happened as I'm 2+ hours away from home, towing my sled trailer.  I limped it home, and got it to the shop yesterday & was told by the service guy, "GM knows about this, and with your truck you didn't have both banks replaced because the first issue didn't happen with 7500 (or less) miles.  If your truck had that mileage, both banks would have been replaced."  I looked at him in disgust, and said "Really?  I was 300 miles over their so-called limit?!?!"  And even though he agreed it was asinine, he made it clear it wasn't their call ... it's GM's.  So, my next question to him was how many vehicles have come back for repair, with the other bank failing.  He said I was one of probably 6-8 they've had in the shop.  He said the supplier also provides the lifters for Hyundai and another brand that I can't remember off the top of my head.

Outside of this issue, I've really liked this truck & engine.  I thought I'd miss my 3.5 Ecoboost, but I really haven't (minus these lifter issues).  That said, I will be looking to dump this truck if something else happens before my warranty is up & will be going back to Ford. 

Have the same engine in the wife’s suburban and have had zero issues 

I know people have had issues with those lifters but I never have for some reason 

i love that 6.2 10 speed combo though 

the 6.6 gas in my new HD doesn’t have active fuel management 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ACE said:

Have the same engine in the wife’s suburban and have had zero issues 

I know people have had issues with those lifters but I never have for some reason 

i love that 6.2 10 speed combo though 

the 6.6 gas in my new HD doesn’t have active fuel management 

Wish I had your luck!! LOL    I had given consideration ... STRONG consideration ... to buying the plug-in device that disables the fuel management system, but I didn't because I didn't want to jeopardize anything with the warranty, if I needed to use it.  Now, I'm wishing I had done that right from the get-go.

My 2016 5.3 has been flawless but if I had the 6.2, I'd do the AFM delete on it, and I know the newer ones have an even more aggressive AFM than mine which goes from V4 to V8 and back.

Sludgey, how do you like that 6.6 with the measly 6 speed?  I'm looking at upgrading to a 1 ton and while I'm usually a GM guy, I think I'm going to end up with a Godzilla in my garage.  I don't need the complexity of a diesel and tow in the mountains a lot.  That 7.3 and 10 speed is a sweet combo with 3.73s.

Edited by Matt

4 minutes ago, Matt said:

My 2016 5.3 has been flawless but if I had the 6.2, I'd do the AFM delete on it, and I know the newer ones have an even more aggressive AFM than mine which goes from V4 to V8 and back.

Sludgey, how do you like that 6.6 with the measly 6 speed?  I'm looking at upgrading to a 1 ton and while I'm usually a GM guy, I think I'm going to end up with a Godzilla in my garage.  I don't need the complexity of a diesel and tow in the mountains a lot.  That 7.3 and 10 speed is a sweet combo with 3.73s.

I don’t feel as though it’s lacking. Has a very broad TQ curve and lots of it. Never looking for power for getting around 

while I dont have a large desire for a 10 speed in it, I’m sure I’d like it even more 

17 minutes ago, Bontz said:

I'm kinda curious here ... how many of you guys own newer GM vehicles, and if you do - anyone experience issues with the fuel management system where the lifter bank(s) fail?  I bought a new '21 Sierra (6.2) in January of '21 and experienced the problem in August.  At that time, I had 7800 miles on the odometer and it was considered the "left bank" needing replacement ... lifters & push rods were on the repair sheet.  Well, fast forward from last August to this past weekend, and the damn thing happened again .. of course it happened as I'm 2+ hours away from home, towing my sled trailer.  I limped it home, and got it to the shop yesterday & was told by the service guy, "GM knows about this, and with your truck you didn't have both banks replaced because the first issue didn't happen with 7500 (or less) miles.  If your truck had that mileage, both banks would have been replaced."  I looked at him in disgust, and said "Really?  I was 300 miles over their so-called limit?!?!"  And even though he agreed it was asinine, he made it clear it wasn't their call ... it's GM's.  So, my next question to him was how many vehicles have come back for repair, with the other bank failing.  He said I was one of probably 6-8 they've had in the shop.  He said the supplier also provides the lifters for Hyundai and another brand that I can't remember off the top of my head.

Outside of this issue, I've really liked this truck & engine.  I thought I'd miss my 3.5 Ecoboost, but I really haven't (minus these lifter issues).  That said, I will be looking to dump this truck if something else happens before my warranty is up & will be going back to Ford. 

Guy on the other side of the Lake here has had nothing but problems with his 2 year old Ford truck, I have to pick him up from the Ford dealership all the time, lots of electronic problems. Bought it at Link Bros. in Minong.

21 minutes ago, Bontz said:

i work for a gmc dealer. we were told of a "bad batch" of lifters. we changed many. we always do all on the bank in question. i had some bending pushrods at 500 miles. then they run out of fuel lines and it prolongs the process. it no longer uses a "vlom" , the manifold that controls the lifters. each cylinder has it's own now. but the bad news is that they now have active lifters in all 16 holes. doubles the chance for failure. as a dealer we have power to repair things as we see fit. sometimes yes, gm will not pay. hard for me to change the side without issues. the ones we have fixed have been fine for a while. 36 years in gm dealers and driving a tundra...

• Like 5

• Platinum Contributing Member

Never an issue going back to 2000.  Multiple 5.3's, 6.0's and 6.2's and one 3.7 v6.   100K each on all of them with no issues.  I owned one Ford Truck from 2010 to like 2012 with zero issues from that 5.4 either. 

Probably my biggest complaint ever was from my 2005 LLY Duramax.   Not that it didn't perform well but its mileage was crap compared to the LB7.   If you can find a "low" mile LB7 before the cat converters BUY IT.  Maybe the best mileage 3/4 ton plus engine ever made.  

43 minutes ago, Bontz said:

Wish I had your luck!! LOL    I had given consideration ... STRONG consideration ... to buying the plug-in device that disables the fuel management system, but I didn't because I didn't want to jeopardize anything with the warranty, if I needed to use it.  Now, I'm wishing I had done that right from the get-go.

You can just go have it tuned and have the parameters changed or deleted, like my 14. 5.3 fuel mgt is turned off, speed limiter is turned off, trans pressure boosted and shift points changed, ect..

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

You can just go have it tuned and have the parameters changed or deleted, like my 14. 5.3 fuel mgt is turned off, speed limiter is turned off, trans pressure boosted and shift points changed, ect..

most are afraid of that solution. the chip shortage i think was going to kill afm but i don't think it did. early 5.3 were bulletproof for the most part. now if the lifters don't get you the injectors will. be nice if you could change lifters without removing the heads, but that's not the case. have to replace the high pressure fuel lines too and they are always scarce. let's not even talk about the 6 speeds

• Gold Member

Currently driving a new Ram Laramie and really like it but the last 4 trucks were GM w/5.3.  All had the range technology plug in disabler https://www.rangetechnology.com/

I test drove a new Silverado with the 6.2 and its a screamer.  Tons of power but I just thought the interior was very dated.  Not much different from my 2017.  The Ram was much further along.  Auto highbeams, auto wipers, 9 speakers w/subwoofer, reclining back seat and I could go on and on.  

GM v-8's have always been pretty solid outside of their shitty fuel pumps. We have and have had alot of them in our trucks. I always miled the hell out of them before we got rid of them and usually because the rest of the truck was going to hell at that point. 

11 minutes ago, poopooforme said:

Currently driving a new Ram Laramie and really like it but the last 4 trucks were GM w/5.3.  All had the range technology plug in disabler https://www.rangetechnology.com/

I test drove a new Silverado with the 6.2 and its a screamer.  Tons of power but I just thought the interior was very dated.  Not much different from my 2017.  The Ram was much further along.  Auto highbeams, auto wipers, 9 speakers w/subwoofer, reclining back seat and I could go on and on.  

My last 2 pick ups (personal) have been rams. 2015 big horn and currently 2020 ram limited. I still own the 2015, gave it to my son and its still in great shape. The interior of the limited is crazy for a pick up. Thing is smooth as butter, I love it. 

1 hour ago, sleepybrew said:

i work for a gmc dealer. we were told of a "bad batch" of lifters. we changed many. we always do all on the bank in question. i had some bending pushrods at 500 miles. then they run out of fuel lines and it prolongs the process. it no longer uses a "vlom" , the manifold that controls the lifters. each cylinder has it's own now. but the bad news is that they now have active lifters in all 16 holes. doubles the chance for failure. as a dealer we have power to repair things as we see fit. sometimes yes, gm will not pay. hard for me to change the side without issues. the ones we have fixed have been fine for a while. 36 years in gm dealers and driving a tundra...

What he said.

2 hours ago, Matt said:

The L8T 10 speed is coming. Or so I hear. 

2 hours ago, BadaBing444 said:

It seems like they had a bad batch of lifters on trucks that were built between November and April 2021. 

All Covid built engines. Supplier change and clearly not for the better. It really put a black mark on the face of an otherwise good engine family. 

And btw, the lifters are pretty much the same for all afm/dfm GM Gen 5 V8 engines. I’ve even seen this issue in the LT2 C8 engines here and there. Imagine some dealer hack tearing your brand new Corvette apart to do this. 

20 minutes ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

The L8T 10 speed is coming. Or so I hear. 

All Covid built engines. Supplier change and clearly not for the better. It really put a black mark on the face of an otherwise good engine family. 

And btw, the lifters are pretty much the same for all afm/dfm GM Gen 5 V8 engines. I’ve even seen this issue in the LT2 C8 engines here and there. Imagine some dealer hack tearing your brand new Corvette apart to do this. 

yes same part number as always on the lifter

8 hours ago, sleepybrew said:

most are afraid of that solution. the chip shortage i think was going to kill afm but i don't think it did. early 5.3 were bulletproof for the most part. now if the lifters don't get you the injectors will. be nice if you could change lifters without removing the heads, but that's not the case. have to replace the high pressure fuel lines too and they are always scarce. let's not even talk about the 6 speeds

What the issue with the 6-speeds? I’ve heard it’s better to own a recent 6-speed than the 8-speed. 
   Most of the GM gurus I know recommend putting on one of the “range” or other devices that disable AFM and DFM on the 5.3 motors. 

8 hours ago, Rigid1 said:

7 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

Don't believe every thing you see on YouTube, the truck idles in V8 mode all the time, it will only go into v4 when moving

• Gold Member

Plan on buying a 21-22 GM 6.6 Gas 2500 fairly soon..

I got over 200k on my '02 6.0 and it still is a great engine. I had the heads rebuilt once around 120k. Did it myself piece of cake. 

I also have a 06 5.3 with 200k still runs mint never been apart. 

Nothing against Ford or Ram I just prefer GM. 

Edited by EvilBird
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Bontz said:

I have a 21 Sierra with 5.3 and one side went down with about 10 k miles back in Nov. At the time GM just switched to replacing both sides since it was in the shop. So far so good. I hear the issue is contained to certain mfg dates, as noted above. Hopefully yours is now fully fixed. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, EvilBird said:

Plan on buying a 21-22 GM 6.6 Gas 2500 fairly soon..

I got over 200k on my '02 6.0 and it still is a great engine. I had the heads rebuilt once around 120k. Did it myself piece of cake. 

I also have a 06 5.3 with 200k still runs mint never been apart. 

Nothing against Ford or Ram I just prefer GM. 

6.6 has significantly more jam everywhere 

• Like 1