11 yr old girl killed crossing hwy Wed Feb 1

Tinker

ugh also http://www.thedailyobserver.ca/2017/02/02/teen-injured-in-snowmobile-tractor-trailer-collision

LAURENTIAN VALLEY - A teenager suffered life-threatening injuries after the snowmobile he was driving collided with a transport tractor trailer east of Pembroke Thursday.

The accident occurred at around 1 p.m. at the intersection of Fibreboard Drive and Ontario Federation of Snowmobile Clubs (OFSC) Trail ‘A.’ The tractor trailer appeared to be heading eastbound towards the Pembroke MDF fibreboard plant when the collision occurred.

Just now, Puzzleboy said:

Terrible.  Although I don't think a 12 year old is even legal to cross a road on a sled...... Don't you have to be at least 12 or 14 to get the sled license?

Yes, kids have to be 12 to drive on the trails. No road riding or crossing.

I certainly wouldn't trust today's 11 year old with that kind of responsibility.  Even a 12 year old I'd keep an eye on.

Did they remove the road crossing allowance?  I think it was allowed when we got it.

If she was riding with her parents, I'd say they have some charges ahead also. 

27 minutes ago, Puzzleboy said:

I certainly wouldn't trust today's 11 year old with that kind of responsibility.  Even a 12 year old I'd keep an eye on.

Did they remove the road crossing allowance?  I think it was allowed when we got it.

If she was riding with her parents, I'd say they have some charges ahead also. 

I always stopped at road crossing when riding with my son and we would cross together,  I would always be in the lead.  Hell I still stop and make sure the coast is clear and he is will soon be 17.  You need to be 12 and licensed to ride the trails and most kids will listen at this age, we always crossed roads even with the OPP around.  This story does not mention any adult supervision or maybe its missing.  Very sad news indeed.

I think it was in the 80s when the age was raised to 16. It was all over the media 1 morning that kids under 16 could "fill in the blank". The media & Opposition of the day were all over the Minister @ Queens Park. By the 6 o' clock news the law had been changed. I don't think there had been an accident just some azzhat stirring up shit.

As unfortunate as this accident & the young lad near Mattawa, youngsters I think make up a very small portion of snowmobile fatalities.