Early-2000’s Liberty small block crank seals

p51mstg

Looks like our 2002 600 is going to need a top end this summer.  I’ve never changed crank seals before on any engine, but this might be a good time to do it.  Engine has 7,000+ miles on it, so it might be too early to think about that….

Anyway, split the crankcase or no?  Can I get by without splitting it?

Probably due for reeds at the same time, anyone recommend VForce or should I stick with OEM for an old carbureted engine like that?  I seem to recall that VForce claims you don’t need to rejet, but that doesn’t smell right to me.  Thoughts?

Yes you must split the cases to replace crank seals. Use a good puller to remove flywheel. It would be a very good time to inspect the worm gear on the crank that drives water pump,and pump gear as well.

Just check reeds,,if they aren't all chipped up and still seal,run em. Vforce are good and no you don't need to rejet but not worth the cost unless used in conjuction with other things.

• 2 weeks later...

If the reeds are bad then V Force probably aren't much more expensive than OEM. Look into Boysen Rad valves also. Have them in my 660. As far as jetting, I believe that V Force have a stronger signal/pull more full, so no rejetting needed. Maybe even jet  slightly leaner

• Like 1