Been A Rough Few Days Around Here

• Platinum Contributing Member

On Friday sweet little Agnes died at the vet where she was undergoing  a blood transfusion for a platelet disorder...she was was the sweetest little dog and my wifes constant companion...an hour ago I found Buddy dead on the back porch. He came to use awhile  back on a below zero night...clearly abandoned and in rough shape so we let him in and he never left. RIP Agnes and Buddy The Cat.🙏🏻😢

DBE7B2DC-ED25-43A4-A70D-B27E7F54056F.thumb.jpeg.95e938b8831126c5019c2fe72fd35319.jpegCA305C81-D7ED-43B9-8649-76B9970C3881.thumb.jpeg.8dd9de6feaa392ef1283fcc5cde5d2bd.jpeg

• Sad 12

Sorry to hear this. Losing two pets so close has got to be tough for the family. My Dobe had a crash of platelets over spring of last year. She was treated with high doses of prednisone and some meds to counter the liver damage from the steroid. Her muscle mass was destroyed from the pred and she bloated up like a puffer fish. Miraculously she’s made a full recovery, but there’s a chance it can return. I made a decision that I wont put her through that again if it returns. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Sorry to hear this. Losing two pets so close has got to be tough for the family. My Dobe had a crash of platelets over spring of last year. She was treated with high doses of prednisone and some meds to counter the liver damage from the steroid. Her muscle mass was destroyed from the pred and she bloated up like a puffer fish. Miraculously she’s made a full recovery, but there’s a chance it can return. I made a decision that I wont put her through that again if it returns. 

Agnes was on prednisone as well and had a transfusion and things seemed almost back to normal but we knew a relapse was very possible. The vet was weaning her off the steroid and she basically crashed overnight...they were trying another transfusion when she died.

3 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Agnes was on prednisone as well and had a transfusion and things seemed almost back to normal but we knew a relapse was very possible. The vet was weaning her off the steroid and she basically crashed overnight...they were trying another transfusion when she died.

Raina's platelets had crashed to the undetectable range. She started bleeding out of the mouth and eyes. I think it started with an ear infection. They bombed her with pred and she responded immediately with her platelets bouncing up to 700,000. It was a very long, multi-month withdrawal from the pred with bi weekly blood smears. You know how horrible the effects of pred are on dogs. She's due for her rabies vaccine in November. It's scary because any vaccine she gets can trigger an immune reaction. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ford_428cj said:

Damn ...sorry about that.  Just what the wife needed too eh. She get any positive news from her appt last week? What happened to the cat?

The neurologist is the first one to actually show alot of concern and dig into her issues..she had blood drawn...I thinks she said 12 vials and some are going to Mayo. At this point no real answers but some hope that he’ll figure it out. As for the cat I don’t really know...he was very old and almost toothless. I let him out this morning just like everyday...next time I looked he was on the deck dead.

43 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Raina's platelets had crashed to the undetectable range. She started bleeding out of the mouth and eyes. I think it started with an ear infection. They bombed her with pred and she responded immediately with her platelets bouncing up to 700,000. It was a very long, multi-month withdrawal from the pred with bi weekly blood smears. You know how horrible the effects of pred are on dogs. She's due for her rabies vaccine in November. It's scary because any vaccine she gets can trigger an immune reaction. 

Here’s to continued good health for Raina.🌞

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

The neurologist is the first one to actually show alot of concern and dig into her issues..she had blood drawn...I thinks she said 12 vials and some are going to Mayo. At this point no real answers but some hope that he’ll figure it out. As for the cat I don’t really know...he was very old and almost toothless. I let him out this morning just like everyday...next time I looked he was on the deck dead.

Mayo has a lot of the best - so there is hope. 

Well at least the cat went quick & was loved at the end. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

On Friday sweet little Agnes died at the vet where she was undergoing  a blood transfusion for a platelet disorder...she was was the sweetest little dog and my wifes constant companion...an hour ago I found Buddy dead on the back porch. He came to use awhile  back on a below zero night...clearly abandoned and in rough shape so we let him in and he never left. RIP Agnes and Buddy The Cat.🙏🏻😢

DBE7B2DC-ED25-43A4-A70D-B27E7F54056F.thumb.jpeg.95e938b8831126c5019c2fe72fd35319.jpegCA305C81-D7ED-43B9-8649-76B9970C3881.thumb.jpeg.8dd9de6feaa392ef1283fcc5cde5d2bd.jpeg

Damn.   Sorry to hear man.   Lost 2 dogs in the past year.   Both 15+ years old.   Really sucks. 

• Like 1

That's shitty to hear and my condolences.  Not a day goes by anymore that I'm not futher convinced that I have way more respect for dogs and cats than I do most people.  We lost a dog in August to cancer and another 3 weeks ago hit by a car in front the house.  Down to one now and he's loving all the attention, but I miss those others.

• Like 3

RIP. pets are the best. My 5 yr old cat ralph is presently recouping from emergency bladder surgery at the animal hospital to the tune of $4500. He’s worth it. I’d be stacking bodies on the regular if it wasn’t for my doggos and cat. Lol. 

• Like 2