What’s the big deal….

Of getting caught and allowing some faster riders to pass you?  I mean if you see them behind you just move over on a straight and stop for 5 seconds and let the crew go by.  Done.  Just because you are riding at your limitations doesn’t mean THAT is everyone else’s limitations.  Probably the same people who drive the speed limit in the left lane….

• Like 3

Hit and miss if they let you by.  The worst ones are the ones that see you and try to stay ahead.  If they come to a stop sign I'll normally pull up next to them and they normally let you by then.  Don't like to get to aggressive incase they're a very young rider or older and startle them when you pass them.

The ones that do let you by usually give them a thank you wave. 

• Like 1

Got stuck behind a group of 8 people yesterday.  9 miles later, at 10 mph, the trail finally opened up to a lake.  No room to get around and NO concept of courtesy.  

Also, saw 6, yes 6 cars/trucks on the trails, all stuck.  Some right at the entrance to the trail, some several mile up the trail.  One guy stopped us (while riding his fat tire bike) and complained that he was trying to drive to the trail head and a sledder cut him off and swore at him for being on the trail, made him get stuck.  People are clueless.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Yes it can be annoying but just relax.  If you have to slow down for 10 minutes in a day its not going to wreck your day.  Most of the time it is a older couples or people with young children.  They don't put on 1000's of miles a year and are just trying to enjoy the trails as the rest of us.  Next time you come up on them just take a deep breath.  At least in Wisconsin there is no limit on how slow or fast you can go during daylight hours.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, dsupercat said:

Yes it can be annoying but just relax.  If you have to slow down for 10 minutes in a day its not going to wreck your day.  Most of the time it is a older couples or people with young children.  They don't put on 1000's of miles a year and are just trying to enjoy the trails as the rest of us.  Next time you come up on them just take a deep breath.  At least in Wisconsin there is no limit on how slow or fast you can go during daylight hours.

Have to agree with this.  It can be frustrating but there seems to be more large groups on the trails than ever before.  Could not believe how many were running in groups of 10 or more sleds.    

Always wonder why these groups just don't break up into smaller one's and then meet up at a destination or two or three.  They are stopping all the time anyway. Our group is a max size of 7 sleds when everyone is up and even though everyone can ride it still is more challenging than when it's just a couple of us. 

Over the last 10 days it was not the slow moving groups that were the issue on the trails it was larger groups of ricky racer's where you pass the lead rider and everyone behind is trying to set some type of trail record for riding fast on the wrong side of the fucking trail.  

• Like 3

I agree with the last two posts, and I don't just fly by people.  I give them a chance to see we are there, let my entire group get caught up and in sight, and most of the time allow for them to get to the next intersection or road crossing that I know is coming.  

It is when they KNOW you are back there, and still refuse to move over or stop for a few seconds to let other sleds go by.  And then, instead of stopping, they keep moving at 10-15mph as if that is stopping to let you by.  How do I know you aren't going to hit a bump or the side of the trail and get tossed back into the middle of the trail when you are trying to allow us to pass?  

As @dsupercat said, 10 minutes isn't going to wreck my day, but at the time, the 10 seconds it takes you to stop and let a crew go by isn't going to wreck your day either.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mag6240 said:

As @dsupercat said, 10 minutes isn't going to wreck my day, but at the time, the 10 seconds it takes you to stop and let a crew go by isn't going to wreck your day either.

I agree with them moving over but just remember they are probably not doing it to upset you they probably just don't realize what there are doing.  Also every time I come up on someone like that I always think of it could be a possible landowner just out for a little ride on there sled that they have had for 20+ years and ride it for 40 miles one time a year.

• Like 1

If you are coming up on me that fast, I will let you pass. But I will wait for a good opening, not on or before a corner. But some of these idiots just can't wait. They will pass you in the middle of a sharp curve no matter if there is oncoming traffic or not.

Just now, nascarmike said:

Sometimes only one.:D

LOL!!  There was a guy in the middle of a group of 7 or 8 that we passed going the other way this weekend, who was riding with his hand up and the middle finger PROUDLY displayed to each of us as we went past!!  My group had a good laugh at that one when we got to our destination, everyone thought it was funny!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

How many fingers do they hold up?  Do they stop to give a count?  :lol:

Flash 10 with both hands and then however many fingers it takes to fill out the group.  Drive like a real man, with your knee.

1 hour ago, nascarmike said:

Sometimes only one.:D

Friends of ours that don't snowmobile came along with our group for a couples weekend.  They rented a 2 up and the wife thought the snowmobilers were just the friendliest groups around.  Almost every one we past was waving so she started waving back.  She thought that was the nicest thing.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I usually pass off the side of the trail, with one hand on my bars while pointing at them to pull over as recklessly as I can.

Ok, more seriously this is why I added a small siren and some flashing lights to my sled.  That gets nearly everyone to pull over although the slowest ones even screw that up.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2022 at 3:55 PM, Doug said:

Friends of ours that don't snowmobile came along with our group for a couples weekend.  They rented a 2 up and the wife thought the snowmobilers were just the friendliest groups around.  Almost every one we past was waving so she started waving back.  She thought that was the nicest thing.  

my girlfriend asked if they were giving some kind of white power sign or something. almost pissed myself

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

if i'm balls out banging bumps they don't even get eye contact. but if it's reasonable i do it to at least let them know i have someone back there. i appreciate it in tight twisty stuff when i know how many to look out for