Different trail map apps ... Avenza?

This past weekend a buddy of mine was showing me a map app he had, called "Avenza"   It was pretty freaking slick - it basically was the PDF version of the snowmobile map for Sawyer County (WI) and then used GPS to put his location as a blue spot on the map.  So if you were to envision opening up the paper map to look on it, there'd be a blue spot indicating where you were.  Everyone keeps talking about Ride Command, Garmin, and the 7s display on the Polaris sleds but I gotta say ... this thing was really nice.  Am I completely out of touch, and a lot of folks know about this app already?  I haven't downloaded it yet, but I'm gonna give it a try.

A friend mentioned some App called GTS Trails last weekend that also showed grooming schedules - not sure how it looks, haven't opened it yet.

Quite frankly, I go the direction I want, and change plans based on what the trail looks like when I get there.  Only when back packing is my direction set, and even then, there are usually options.  

1 hour ago, Mag6240 said:

A friend mentioned some App called GTS Trails last weekend that also showed grooming schedules - not sure how it looks, haven't opened it yet.

Quite frankly, I go the direction I want, and change plans based on what the trail looks like when I get there.  Only when back packing is my direction set, and even then, there are usually options.  

That GTS app, I downloaded that a couple weeks ago ... and actually used it this past weekend just to see if anything was fresh.  It worked pretty well, actually (and kind of surprised me as at least 2 of the trails I'd have never considered running but both of them had been groomed in the past 24 hours).  As far as actual trail maps go, I'm pretty familiar with NW Wisco so I don't necessarily rely on the map but it's kind of nice to look on the 7s just for the heck of it.  And I had a guy with me that's not familiar with NW Wisco at all so it was kind of neat having that other guy with the Avenza app to show him where we're at and where we came from/heading to.  All this "technology" though, just kinda make me laugh (or SMH) ... but it really is better than having to open up the trail map that's all beat up and torn at the creases!! LOL

GTS is actually the tracking system used by the groomers in Wisconsin to keep track of the hrs groomed.  Each groomer has a global tracking box assigned to that specific grooming and keeps track if the groomer is moving, running but not moving or ignition is off.  The box has a red, yellow and green lights.  If the groomer is further than I think 250 ft from the trail the light will turn red and you are no longer being paid.  If your close to going out the light will be yellow.  It is recommended that either the clubs drive the trail after marking them with the unit be it ATV or groomer and submit the latest route so the route is accurate and the groomer remains on the clock as they groom.  GTS will be the most actuate trail in Wisconsin unless it's a non-funded trail.

All I had with me last weekend was a paper map and ended up ripping it to shreds with gloved hands.  Fail.

Have heard of Avenza but never used it.  My Verizon phone is basically worthless in AT&T country up north, but I could try that in Southern MN.

• 2 weeks later...

I have and use the Avenza app and it works well.  It does require that the map you download be a geo-rectified PDF file but as mentioned it will show you where you are and is not dependent on having cell phone coverage.

Another app I use is US Topo Maps which allows you to choose what type layer (topo map, aerial view, road, etc) is displayed. It also has a bread crumb tracking feature which will display and save your track log. Pretty sure that you need to open this app up and get current location before you get out of cell coverage.