The 2023 Cat Lineup...

2 minutes ago, ZR6000RR said:

I have ridden the others and they do not compare. I have been researching for  a while. No Polaris can touch this for what I will be using it for. Replacing my 2002 Cat 500. 

Considering the only real thing you are using it for is fulfilling your green pride you might be half correct in your statement.

Alterra rides like shit.  ANY other choice is better.

3 minutes ago, wrinkly balls said:

Would you be willing to draw a picture for us?:D

I draw as well as Jim thinks so you won't garner anything from it if I do.  Funny since my son is a great artist, but I am fucking terrible.

You do.realize the new alternative 600 rear suspension shocks are on the upper control arms?  I can't think of any other best in class atv thats mounts the rear shocks this way.   This is completely a cost sensitive move on textrons part, made for low cost, not for performance or best in class ride and handling.

Edited by Boonbocker1

29 minutes ago, Boonbocker1 said:

You do.realize the new alternative 600 rear suspension shocks are on the upper control arms?  I can't think of any other best in class atv thats mounts the rear shocks this way.   This is completely a cost sensitive move on textrons part, made for low cost, not for performance or best in class ride and handling.

Yes they are and that gets them out of the way from damage. I have no issue with this. Everything about this ATV is freaking awesome. The low fuel tank to lower center of gravity. The way the engine and exhaust are laid out to keep the rider cool. Easy access for servicing. Already have the Garmin tread so adding the mount will make it SWEET. Dual use between my sled and ATV. 

I purchased a 700 Alterra and it has been an OK ATV. It doesn't do anything great, but it also hasn't let me down. It's a 2020 with about 3000 miles on it. It certainly not the most comfortable, not the fastest, not the best handling. Compared to my previous CanAm 650 Outlander Max, it is inferior in a lot of areas. 

BUT! It has been very reliable so far. And the price was about $4500 less than I was going to have to pay for another Outlander Max. I bought at the right time before Cat jacked up their prices. I use it a lot for local trail riding, and doing snowmobile trail work. For what it is, it has met my needs well. Frankly, I wish I could have afforded a new CanAm at the time, but the Alterra has met my needs. I'll most likely keep it. 

5 hours ago, Deephaven said:

I've never had faith in Textron.  From day 1 when all the green Kool aid idiots were claiming that Cat was saved by big pockets and huge r&d resources I said they'd be milked and ruined.  Now at the same time I still have hope because I want to be able to buy a Cat again some day....but the hope is only based on emotion and not reality.

That all being said I have seen the new machine and it's new, supposedly better but I have not been able to ride it yet.  This helps with the hope...

I feel the same way. I really loved my 29 new Cats, but eventually reality set in. I don't eliminate the possibility of a new Cat in the future (especially for my wife), but they are going to have to offer something truly revolutionary to sway me away from the Polaris Matryx. 

There are tons of former Cat customers that would be open to returning to the brand. But Cat is going to have to do something amazing to get people to switch brands and return as customers. Quite frankly, I don't think Textron has the commitment to the brand or the sport to accomplish that. Instead, they seem satisfied with building childrens sleds...... 

On 4/30/2022 at 6:30 AM, Tripleflipper said:

I just spit coffee on my keyboard, LMAO

Gym is sorry.  Gym doesn't like to ruin electronics. 

16 hours ago, ZR6000RR said:

Problem with your premise is there is no pile up of parts on hand! You live in a bubble? Same reason nothing new this year as you have to be able to get materials to make such parts. 

Gym once lived in a bubble.  Gym was a terribly lonely child. 

6 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

I think they were hoping to use cat dirt tech to get a fat govt contract out of it like Polaris and get on the government's tit, but when that didn't happen they went for tracker instead.

Gym has a government job.  Gym isn't lazy.  Gym's just a little slow in the head at times. 

4 hours ago, wrinkly balls said:

Would you be willing to draw a picture for us?:D

Gym loves to draw pictures.  Gym has quite a coloring book collection.  Gym eats the crayons on occasion.

4 hours ago, Deephaven said:

I draw as well as Jim thinks so you won't garner anything from it if I do.  Funny since my son is a great artist, but I am fucking terrible.

Gym assumes you aren't putting in enough effort.  Gym thought he could fly as a child.  Gym jumped off the barn once to prove his friends wrong and hit his head.  Gym doesn't hang around with those guys anymore.

1 hour ago, Ziemann said:

I feel the same way. I really loved my 29 new Cats, but eventually reality set in. I don't eliminate the possibility of a new Cat in the future (especially for my wife), but they are going to have to offer something truly revolutionary to sway me away from the Polaris Matryx. 

There are tons of former Cat customers that would be open to returning to the brand. But Cat is going to have to do something amazing to get people to switch brands and return as customers. Quite frankly, I don't think Textron has the commitment to the brand or the sport to accomplish that. Instead, they seem satisfied with building childrens sleds...... 

Gym likes to try new things.  Gym doesn't recommend letting the dog lick peanut butter off one's private parts now.

Edited by Gym Ramstud
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, ZR6000RR said:

You have never ridden one so your view means nothing. My brother has an Alterra 550 and that thing rides great. The 600 rides even better.

Do you need to suck a cock to know you dont like it ? 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Simple Jim said:

Do you need to suck a cock to know you dont like it ? 

You must have tried that and liked it from that response. When it comes to ATV's, sleds, cars and trucks, one should at the very least ride one first before buying. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ZR6000RR said:

You must have tried that and liked it from that response. When it comes to ATV's, sleds, cars and trucks, one should at the very least ride one first before buying. 

So in your case, if you bolted wheels on a piece of plywood but painted it green & lettered it with Arctic Cat ... you'd try it.  And you'd proclaim it's the best :lol:

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Bontz said:

So in your case, if you bolted wheels on a piece of plywood but painted it green & lettered it with Arctic Cat ... you'd try it.  And you'd proclaim it's the best :lol:

No. I tested the Poop 570 and the Yamaha 700 with EPS. Neither were as good as the Alterra. Not even close! Could care less about top end as 75% work quad, 25% trail quad. 

4 hours ago, Ziemann said:

I purchased a 700 Alterra and it has been an OK ATV. It doesn't do anything great, but it also hasn't let me down. It's a 2020 with about 3000 miles on it. It certainly not the most comfortable, not the fastest, not the best handling. Compared to my previous CanAm 650 Outlander Max, it is inferior in a lot of areas. 

BUT! It has been very reliable so far. And the price was about $4500 less than I was going to have to pay for another Outlander Max. I bought at the right time before Cat jacked up their prices. I use it a lot for local trail riding, and doing snowmobile trail work. For what it is, it has met my needs well. Frankly, I wish I could have afforded a new CanAm at the time, but the Alterra has met my needs. I'll most likely keep it. 

My 2015 700 XT was a good machine at a great price, but there is now a Sportsman 850 XP in it's place.  I'm just waiting for that pile to blow up or something.

7 hours ago, Boonbocker1 said:

Jim is an absolute POS and total moron, who prob doesn't know that the 550, and 600 only share a name, and nothing else is the same. 

As stupid as he is, there is 0 cost benefit to mounting the shocks to the lower upper-arms vs the lower.

There is also 0 difference in ride, or handling because of it.  Its mostly a packaging decision.  FWIW its acutally safer, and considerably less stress on the ball joints when the shock is on the upper arm..  (shock on the lower arm, means the weight of the machine is trying to pull the balljoint apart, while on the upper, its pushing the balljoint together..

Edited by krom
  • Like 3

The new alterra 600 is easy to service? Is that a joke? Just try to put some coolant in the Ltd or the SE. you actually have to unbolt part of the front rack to do it! The oil filter is mounted in such a way that oil runs all down the side of the engine in that cranny between the case and the pan!

The belt is right behind your left leg. Let’s be honest here.  Who wants to see what happens to your left calf when that belt blows? Is that thin plastic cover going to contain the belt???? Maybe???

When I brought up these issues to one of the sales reps at hay days, the response I got for every one of them was “well how often does that happen?” Pathetic.

3 hours ago, ZR6000RR said:

you... replying to 'simple Jim' might be the funniest fucking thing I've seen here, HCS or anywhere else on my decades of interwebmessagboarding.  and, I've seen some funny shit.   

3 hours ago, Bontz said:

is this your first day here?  OF COURSE it's the best...  

1 hour ago, krom said:

Jim is an absolute POS and total moron, who prob doesn't know that the 550, and 600 only share a name, and nothing else is the same. 

As stupid as he is, there is 0 cost benefit to mounting the shocks to the lower upper-arms vs the lower.

There is also 0 difference in ride, or handling because of it.  Its mostly a packaging decision.  FWIW its acutally safer, and considerably less stress on the ball joints when the shock is on the upper arm..  (shock on the lower arm, means the weight of the machine is trying to pull the balljoint apart, while on the upper, its pushing the balljoint together..

let's be honest here Krommy... you're just repeating what the janitor at your dealer told you aren't you?  eventually you'll give up on this charade and just admit you get all your opinions and information from arctic insider. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Ambush said:

The new alterra 600 is easy to service? Is that a joke? Just try to put some coolant in the Ltd or the SE. you actually have to unbolt part of the front rack to do it! The oil filter is mounted in such a way that oil runs all down the side of the engine in that cranny between the case and the pan!

The belt is right behind your left leg. Let’s be honest here.  Who wants to see what happens to your left calf when that belt blows? Is that thin plastic cover going to contain the belt???? Maybe???

When I brought up these issues to one of the sales reps at hay days, the response I got for every one of them was “well how often does that happen?” Pathetic.

it's a canned response, pre-programmed into their ipads

1 hour ago, krom said:

I said they were not even close to the same krommer. Funny how you missed that. 600 is ALL NEW!

15 minutes ago, Ambush said:

I bought the base. Have never, and I mean ever had to add coolant. Belt is covered in plastic but surrounded by metal. Zero issue! Oil filter? I take aluminum foil and it runs clean out. You can also drill a hole in said filter to drain 95% of it before removing. All your complaints, though valid, are nothing. 

6 minutes ago, Badger** said:

Apparently someone was stuffing the ballot boxes. Textron has 12,000 more units to sell. :D

That's good as my dealer now has more orders than quads.

1 minute ago, ZR6000RR said:

That's good as my dealer now has more orders than quads.

Com'on it was funny. Lighten up ZR6000. Here check out my sisters (.)(.)

The Cat =^.^= 

17 minutes ago, Badger** said:

Com'on it was funny. Lighten up ZR6000. Here check out my sisters (.)(.)

The Cat =^.^= 

Not light enough for ya? Screaming for units! I got lucky but paid a premium. Do get a nice discount on parts though. Good thing as have to replace my entire snowplow and mount. 

23 hours ago, ZR6000RR said:

Problem with your premise is there is no pile up of parts on hand! You live in a bubble? Same reason nothing new this year as you have to be able to get materials to make such parts. 

If, and it’s a huge IF, that Cat has anything new for ‘24, it only makes sense to use up existing parts. The ‘23 line up was pathetic. If Cat does not come out with something…. anything new for ‘24 their sled division will be out of business in short order. 

1 minute ago, AK440 said:

If, and it’s a huge IF, that Cat has anything new for ‘24, it only makes sense to use up existing parts. The ‘23 line up was pathetic. If Cat does not come out with something…. anything new for ‘24 their sled division will be out of business in short order. 

There are very few if any existing parts. Wonder why poop is still building 2022's?