What happened first???

My son had a vibration last weekend, kept riding it and exploded the belt. He said the vibration went down when off the throttle. While changing the belt, noticed the clutch was broken. 
Did the clutch blow the belt, or the blown belt break the clutch?????

1B162910-8C8E-405A-99CB-41AC7F371D6F.jpeg

AC80C654-28EE-4F84-A80B-D7067FEEE777.jpeg

How many times has that clutch been on and off?  

Is that the stock Polaris clutch bolt?

I have 2 votes, in no particular order.

1 - the clutch was re-assembled incorrectly causing the cover to crack as you see here.  Ran the bolts down all the way around the circle vs. crisscross.  Maybe took some riding for the crack to appear.

2 - the belt blew at a higher rpm and the sheaves smashed together with no resistance (belt), cracking the cover.

Edited by racinfarmer

1 hour ago, racinfarmer said:

How many times has that clutch been on and off?  

Is that the stock Polaris clutch bolt?

I have 2 votes, in no particular order.

1 - the clutch was re-assembled incorrectly causing the cover to crack as you see here.  Ran the bolts down all the way around the circle vs. crisscross.  Maybe took some riding for the crack to appear.

2 - the belt blew at a higher rpm and the sheaves smashed together with no resistance (belt), cracking the cover.

The second is my guess.  I was right behind him when it blew.

A new cover can't be bolted on so I don't think it was an assembly issue.

32 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

The second is my guess.  I was right behind him when it blew.

A new cover can't be bolted on so I don't think it was an assembly issue.

I'd seen clutches mainly break posts off by running 1 bolt at a time to tight.  Just get a thread or two started on every bolt all around, then break out the driver drill and fucking send it.  

Haven't seen a cover, but I'll never put it past someone.  

Clutch has been apart more than most I think. Was on my sled when I bought it (junior class USXC ice racing sled, 400 miles on it). He knows how to assemble a clutch, just a bit at a time!

Stock Polaris bolt

Will be checking crank and seal for sure!

Thanks for the responses guys!

That's pretty wild.

That's a big crack so those towers must have spread outward a good amount.  You have to ask why those towers might have spread, I think that is why the cover broke.

On 2/8/2022 at 7:11 PM, Potatodigger1 said:

Clutch has been apart more than most I think. Was on my sled when I bought it (junior class USXC ice racing sled, 400 miles on it). He knows how to assemble a clutch, just a bit at a time!

Stock Polaris bolt

Will be checking crank and seal for sure!

Thanks for the responses guys!

Usually the racers will take pretty good care of sleds, especially ice sleds.  I'm leaning towards the belt blew and the sheaves slammed together.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, XCR1250 said:

Check tower spread first, if it's good and the rest of the clutch is good find another cover and have the clutch balanced.

They are spread a bit, maybe not quite as wide as the crack is. A different cover will go on there, but it doesn’t just bolt up like it should. Not half the hole off, but enough that the bolts won’t go in without some muscle! 

2 minutes ago, Potatodigger1 said:

They are spread a bit, maybe not quite as wide as the crack is. A different cover will go on there, but it doesn’t just bolt up like it should. Not half the hole off, but enough that the bolts won’t go in without some muscle! 

ok, sounds like it's new clutch time then.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Potatodigger1 said:

Yep!!

Throw the towel in before you take the crank out.  Like others have said you should check the run out on the crank.  I know Fastsledder has a rebuild clutch off an 800.  This will have the large cover bushing but you should check in the taper that they are the same.

Towel has been thrown!! Will be checking the runout before firing it up again. 

Thanks for all the input guys.  

Hopefully he learned a lesson, if there is a vibration, find out why!!  At least change the belt to see if it goes away!!