Arctic Cat drive clutch overhaul

Crnr2Crnr

Interesting video.

Think it might be time to go through the primary on the 500 in spring.  Rollers and weights look good, uncertain about the bushings.   Who's the go to if you want to send one out rather than dropping a wad for a new one?  Recently heard of a not properly rebuilt job from Indy Dan's recently from someone I trust, so skip that one.

Edited by Crnr2Crnr

I watched this guy's video last winter.  Didn't feel like spending the $ on the tools so I made my own to clamp the clutch in a vice and a tool to properly grab on to the spider and turn it loose/tighten back up.  Figured i'd try it on the old clutch that got beat up in case i'd break something.  I got down to the part of loosening the spider.  What's the trick to knowing how hot to heat the threaded base up where they use this green lock-tight on?  I had it hot with a heat gun and couldn't budge it, so heated it with a torch and still nothing.  So I gave up, but now i'd like to spend the time and figure it out.  Anybody got an approximate temparature that it takes?  I've never worked with anything that used green lock-tight.

4 minutes ago, hayward said:

I watched this guy's video last winter.  Didn't feel like spending the $ on the tools so I made my own to clamp the clutch in a vice and a tool to properly grab on to the spider and turn it loose/tighten back up.  Figured i'd try it on the old clutch that got beat up in case i'd break something.  I got down to the part of loosening the spider.  What's the trick to knowing how hot to heat the threaded base up where they use this green lock-tight on?  I had it hot with a heat gun and couldn't budge it, so heated it with a torch and still nothing.  So I gave up, but now i'd like to spend the time and figure it out.  Anybody got an approximate temparature that it takes?  I've never worked with anything that used green lock-tight.

I think it’s like 300 degrees. You need to use a torch, a heat gun won’t touch it

Edited by Not greg b

Oxy acetylene torch too, not map gas.  I've never checked the actual temp.  But you can usually smell the loctite burning.  A guy on hardcore used to say a certain degree he went by but I don't remember what he said, I think it was smittyseng. 

Way hotter than a heat gun.

I saw that same video above and it got me wanting to try it on an old clutch before doing it on a newer one.  I agree the spider taking off seemed to the tricky part.  I think having a long enough tool for leverage is key along with the heat.  I imagine one of the portable torches would be the best since they don't get as hot as the big ones.  Looks like it's a matter of making your own tools too like this guy did.

• 2 weeks later...

Stupid f'ing hot.  you can hear it go "tink" when you are getting close to hot enough. 

Usually has to make 3 or 4 "tink" sounds before it is hot enough to come free.

Sometimes they come all the way off, sometimes they come part of the way and need to be heated more, sometimes they eat themselves while coming apart.  Even when shimming a brand new one its a PITA

I don't rebuild them any more, IMHO not worth the time and effort.  You can replace the rollers, and buttons, but the sheaves are still worn, and wavy.

• Like 1

On 2/20/2022 at 11:19 AM, krom said:

Stupid f'ing hot.  you can hear it go "tink" when you are getting close to hot enough. 

Usually has to make 3 or 4 "tink" sounds before it is hot enough to come free.

Sometimes they come all the way off, sometimes they come part of the way and need to be heated more, sometimes they eat themselves while coming apart.  Even when shimming a brand new one its a PITA

I don't rebuild them any more, IMHO not worth the time and effort.  You can replace the rollers, and buttons, but the sheaves are still worn, and wavy.

Krom, what's your experience been with the new clutch?  I really like the idea of the easily replaceable rollers.  

• Like 1