2022 Toyota Tundra.

I'm a bit disappointed in the payload of the new Tundra.  I was hoping it'd be more in line with the Nissan Titan XD, which, while it doesn't have the same big end towing capacity as some of the half ton competition, has better payload (but not quite 3/4 ton range).  The best crew cab payload on a new Tundra is only 100 lbs more than my non-tow-package 2016 Sierra Denali.  I expected more.

• Platinum Contributing Member
10 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

so that's a no. 

Correct, but it's a yes that I would smoke that Toyota all day long..:thumbsup:

Whats your current truck pushing for HP and torque??

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

Correct, but it's a yes that I would smoke that Toyota all day long..:thumbsup:

Whats your current truck pushing for HP and torque??

I bought the Toyota following a test drive. It felt more refined than the others. It starts an uplift for an aluminum flatbed, suspension makeover, and Fox's on Tuesday. Decided to go with a Four Wheel flat bed Camper. The Hawk version. I found a lightly used one in Oregon. It'll serve me better than a van in the back country. The set up is saving me tens of thousands dollars over the Storyteller. Similar to this. 

11DB9C0E-55F9-4614-8B9C-C52F36D33ED7.jpeg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

I bought the Toyota following a test drive. It felt more refined than the others. It starts an uplift for an aluminum flatbed, suspension makeover, and Fox's on Tuesday. Decided to go with a Four Wheel flat bed Camper. The Hawk version. I found a lightly used one in Oregon. It'll serve me better than a van in the back country. The set up is saving me tens of thousands dollars over the Storyteller. Similar to this. 

I think I know someone that suggested you do that...I'll pat myself on the back for you taking my advice..:bc:

Did you get to see the family in your travels?? Grand kids doing good??

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Legend said:

You will still be 3 wheeling with a IFS truck the same as a sprinter. Might be slightly less top heavy, depending on what you put on it. You aint going deep with either. You'll be on maintained roads.

The Storyteller handled Lipencott mine road through Death Valley without issue. That's an experienced 4x4 trail. The Toyota will only do better. I'm not concerned. 

2 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

I think I know someone that suggested you do that...I'll pat myself on the back for you taking my advice..:bc:

Did you get to see the family in your travels?? Grand kids doing good??

Yes you did. Should've went with the 4 wheel to begin with. I spent some time in Moab with a group. One of the guys had a 4 wheel Grande flat bed. Very sweet set up. All aluminum frame and very lightweight. Very solid set up with tremendous build quality. I spent a couple weeks helping out my daughter over the holidays. She got really sick with Covid, as did the kids and SIL. Down for the count for 10 days. Thankfully I didn't get it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Yes you did. Should've went with the 4 wheel to begin with. I spent some time in Moab with a group. One of the guys had a 4 wheel Grande flat bed. Very sweet set up. All aluminum frame and very lightweight. Very solid set up with tremendous build quality. I spent a couple weeks helping out my daughter over the holidays. She got really sick with Covid, as did the kids and SIL. Down for the count for 10 days. Thankfully I didn't get it. 

Glad they all pulled thru and are all ok..:bc:

• Like 1

Paying flat rate for cab removal sucks, but good techs can pop them off in a little over an hour... not brain surgery by any stretch..

I'll find out about the new ones as they come out here...

4 hours ago, spin_dry said:

That's gotta be right near the payload limit. What are you doing for batteries? I currently have 165W solar and a single lead acid. Will probably triple the solar and run 2 or 3 Battleborns and a Multiplus at some point after my suspension upgrades. 

11 hours ago, spin_dry said:

I can deal with growing pains. What I can’t deal with is the extremely small dealership network that services Mercedes sprinters. I’d be willing to see the problems through if they had a dealer network like Toyota. There’s tons of sprinters in the back country with 200k plus miles with zero issues.

I won’t be buying any American made garbage. I’ve seen the Chevy and ford isssues. Yikes. 

Those are old sprinters . Could not pay me to own one made in the last 7 yrs . Enjoy 

10 hours ago, Matt said:

That's gotta be right near the payload limit. What are you doing for batteries? I currently have 165W solar and a single lead acid. Will probably triple the solar and run 2 or 3 Battleborns and a Multiplus at some point after my suspension upgrades. 

3-100ah Battleborns and 320 of solar. DC/DC converter, controller. Everything is Victron. I don't need anymore power than that. The propane furnace has already been replaced with a wabasto gasoline heater that will be plumbed to draw directly from the fuel tank. There's no propane on board. I hate dealing with propane. I'm right there on payload. I'm saving some pounds by stripping out the rear seats and replacing it with a platform w/drawers and propane delete.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spin_dry said:

3-100ah Battleborns and 320 of solar. DC/DC converter, controller. Everything is Victron. I don't need anymore power than that. The propane furnace has already been replaced with a wabasto gasoline heater that will be plumbed to draw directly from the fuel tank. There's no propane on board. I hate dealing with propane. I'm right there on payload. I'm saving some pounds by stripping out the rear seats and replacing it with a platform w/drawers and propane delete.

Imagine it comes with crappy P metric tires. You swapping those to something a bit more durable for off road work? Worth it for the handling improvement alone when loaded up. P metrics feel like driving on jello. 

10 minutes ago, Matt said:

Imagine it comes with crappy P metric tires. You swapping those to something a bit more durable for off road work? Worth it for the handling improvement alone when loaded up. P metrics feel like driving on jello. 

New platform and all that's available are front spacers with 35" tires. Fox, Bilstein, or King have nothing yet. Eventually It'll be lifted with leveling, shocks, and different tires. I'm leaving it alone until the aftermarket figures stuff out. 

On 1/28/2022 at 11:25 AM, teamgreen02 said:

That's the reason I have a Ford 5.0L.  Granted it isn't perfect but I can work on it in my garage.  Plugs, coils, alternator, battery, radiator hoses, thermostat, water pump, belts, etc. all easily accessible.

Engine, Automotive engine part, Automotive air manifold, Automotive super charger part, Automotive fuel system, Fuel line, Wire, Kit car, Nut, Automotive engine timing part,

My 12 has 198k on it hoping to spin zeros in Feb.  She is starting to bleed on the driveway and needs some rpm after you stop or oil pressure alert goes off and Guage drops . It started that a yr ago sort of shocked it is still going 

• Like 1

On 1/28/2022 at 11:15 AM, spin_dry said:

The Mercedes is sold. Got a pocket of cash and needing something new. 

I buy quality. I don’t care where it’s made. If it don’t work, down the road it goes. Should we discuss the Ford 6L and 6.4L? How about the 6.7? :lol: 

You buy quality ? Then why is your van in the shop ? 

• Haha 1

On 1/28/2022 at 11:24 AM, spin_dry said:

No different than a ford diesel. 

Yes it is they saw what it was costing ford owners and knew better but obviously did not care .

I have owned many Toyota over the yrs but I think Toyota is no longer the quality manufacture they built there name on not even close 

On 1/28/2022 at 11:59 AM, 800renegaderider said:

Ya but mid 20s is good for Toyota coming from the 5.7 that got mid single digit mpg 😂 

That 5.7 is no worse than my 19 ram on gas and I guerntee a 19 toy will be around at least another 80k mi than the fiat 

4 hours ago, Ez ryder said:

My 12 has 198k on it hoping to spin zeros in Feb.  She is starting to bleed on the driveway and needs some rpm after you stop or oil pressure alert goes off and Guage drops . It started that a yr ago sort of shocked it is still going 

Mines coming up on 150k.  Only minor issues since I bought it at 113k.  Just put on a set of Cooper AT3 4S tires.  Drives like a new truck yet.  Hopefully it lasts awhile until truck prices come back to reality.

12 hours ago, GreenStreak said:

5.7 or 6.4 hemi there is no substitute.

My 2500 with the 6.4  8 speed is pretty fuckin stout.  Runs on 87, good thing cuz she can be thirsty.  Wife actually averaged 18 with it driving back from Maine one time, I can't get much better than 16.  Usually around 13-14.  :lol: 

• Haha 1

On 1/31/2022 at 8:14 AM, DriftBusta said:

My 2500 with the 6.4  8 speed is pretty fuckin stout.  Runs on 87, good thing cuz she can be thirsty.  Wife actually averaged 18 with it driving back from Maine one time, I can't get much better than 16.  Usually around 13-14.  :lol: 

Horsepower or gas mileage you won't have both together in a truck

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, GreenStreak said:

Horsepower or gas mileage you won't have both together in a truck

Sure you can.  Both have been improving in trucks for quite some time.  Twin turbos, variable valve timing, cylinder deactivation, 10 speed transmissions, aluminum bodies, etc.  375HP, 470 ft-lb of torque, and low 20s mpg.

3.5L EcoBoost® V6

If you're looking for an engine that delivers the best-in-class tow rating for the Ford F-150, then the 3.5L EcoBoost® V6 engine is the right choice for you. Listed below are the key engine specs for this powerful option.

Engine

3.5L EcoBoost® V6

Horsepower

375 HP

Torque

470 lb.-ft.

EPA-Estimated Fuel Economy

(city/highway)

18 MPG/25 MPG

Max. Towing Capacity

13,200 lbs.

Max. Payload Capacity