2022 Toyota Tundra.

I’ve been hearing both outstanding reports and some troubling news due to wastegate failures. The fix requires an entire cab off repair because of turbo location. MPG has been reported to be as high as the mid 20’s. Not sure how widespread the wastegate issue might be. Seems like it might be overblown due to the internet megaphone. I’m test driving one this afternoon. 

22 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

I’ve been hearing both outstanding reports and some troubling news due to wastegate failures. The fix requires an entire cab off repair because of turbo location. MPG has been reported to be as high as the mid 20’s. Not sure how widespread the wastegate issue might be. Seems like it might be overblown due to the internet megaphone. I’m test driving one this afternoon. 

You didn't learn your lesson for the Merc diesel, did ya

Buy something with a simple engine and emissions system.  Unless you just plan on owning during the warranty process and don't mind walking to the store for a couple weeks while it is in the shop?

I'm not sure if the cab needs to come off since it is a wastegate actuator failure or if that is any turbo repair?  If that's the procedure for a normal turbo replacement, run, don't walk.

• Like 1

Just now, teamgreen02 said:

You didn't learn your lesson for the Merc diesel, did ya

Buy something with a simple engine and emissions system.  Unless you just plan on owning during the warranty process and don't mind walking to the store for a couple weeks while it is in the shop?

I'm not sure if the cab needs to come off since it is a wastegate actuator failure or if that is any turbo repair?  If that's the procedure for a normal turbo replacement, run, don't walk.

I can deal with growing pains. What I can’t deal with is the extremely small dealership network that services Mercedes sprinters. I’d be willing to see the problems through if they had a dealer network like Toyota. There’s tons of sprinters in the back country with 200k plus miles with zero issues.

I won’t be buying any American made garbage. I’ve seen the Chevy and ford isssues. Yikes. 

• Gold Member
2 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

I can deal with growing pains. What I can’t deal with is the extremely small dealership network that services Mercedes sprinters. I’d be willing to see the problems through if they had a dealer network like Toyota. There’s tons of sprinters in the back country with 200k plus miles with zero issues.

I won’t be buying any American made garbage. I’ve seen the Chevy and ford isssues. Yikes. 

:lol:

As his POS Mercedes is in the shop.  

Just admit you hate America commie. 

Just now, EvilBird said:

:lol:

As his POS Mercedes is in the shop.  

Just admit you hate America commie. 

The Mercedes is sold. Got a pocket of cash and needing something new. 

I buy quality. I don’t care where it’s made. If it don’t work, down the road it goes. Should we discuss the Ford 6L and 6.4L? How about the 6.7? :lol: 

• Gold Member

My 20 year old Cadillac never has been in the shop....Been up and down the East Coast since it was new from Maine to Florida.  200k+ and still starts right up in -23F last weekend. 

20220124_075938.jpg

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Having to take a cab off to replace a turbo isn't "growing pains", it's terrible design. 

One of the reasons in the past Toyota trucks were so reliable is they didn't have all the new technology to push efficiency and fuel economy.  A 2022 first year twin turbo V6 with a 10 speed transmission is a completely different animal from a 2021 naturally aspirated V8 with a 6 speed.

Edited by teamgreen02
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, teamgreen02 said:

Having to take a cab off to replace a turbo isn't "growing pains", it's terrible design. 

One of the reasons in the past Toyota trucks were so reliable is they didn't have all the new technology to push efficiency and fuel economy.  A 2022 first year twin turbo V6 with a 10 speed transmission is a completely animal from a 2021 naturally aspirated V8 with a 6 speed.

No different than a ford diesel. 

Just now, EvilBird said:

Give me a small Block LS chevy I can work on in my garage anyday. 

I wouldn't touch a new Emissions turbo diesel Pickup out of warranty . Dont care how great they tow. 

That's the reason I have a Ford 5.0L.  Granted it isn't perfect but I can work on it in my garage.  Plugs, coils, alternator, battery, radiator hoses, thermostat, water pump, belts, etc. all easily accessible.

Engine, Automotive engine part, Automotive air manifold, Automotive super charger part, Automotive fuel system, Fuel line, Wire, Kit car, Nut, Automotive engine timing part,

• Like 2

• Gold Member
Just now, teamgreen02 said:

That's the reason I have a Ford 5.0L.  Granted it isn't perfect but I can work on it in my garage.  Plugs, coils, alternator, battery, radiator hoses, thermostat, water pump, belts, etc. all easily accessible.

Engine, Automotive engine part, Automotive air manifold, Automotive super charger part, Automotive fuel system, Fuel line, Wire, Kit car, Nut, Automotive engine timing part,

The 5.0 is a nice engine....Ive considered one myself but I will probably end up with another Chevy just gotta be a 6.2 and up since my Caddy has the 6.0 LQ9.....the 5.3 is weak and outdated. 

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 hour ago, spin_dry said:

Im in the mid 20's in my 14 GMC??:dunno:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spin_dry said:

The Mercedes is sold. Got a pocket of cash and needing something new. 

I buy quality. I don’t care where it’s made. If it don’t work, down the road it goes. Should we discuss the Ford 6L and 6.4L? How about the 6.7? :lol: 

You don't buy/own anything less than a decade old.:lol:

• Platinum Contributing Member
3 hours ago, spin_dry said:

Does it have 400hp and almost 500 ft lbs of torque? 

Lol, 413hp 410tq, and I would drive circles around a tundra, most cars have a hard time keeping up in the corners and braking zones

• Like 1