January 28, 1986 - where were you?

Bontz

I know this is a day early, but a headline re: NASA and tomorrow's anniversary of the Challenger disaster is one of those, "I remember vividly" moments.  I was in 6th grade, and I remember a lot of the excitement surrounding that particular mission because it was the first time a teacher was part of the shuttle team.  One of the fellow 6th grade teachers popped his head into our class and my teacher went over to talk to him.  The next thing I remember is our teacher explaining what happened, while trying to fight back tears.  There's a few moments in our lives where we can go right back to that very moment ... assassinations of various people, sports events like the Miracle on Ice, the terrorist attacks on 9/11 ... or my favorite, when Donald J. Trump beat Hillary :lol: (sorry, had to interject some humor)

19 minutes ago, Bontz said:

I know this is a day early, but a headline re: NASA and tomorrow's anniversary of the Challenger disaster is one of those, "I remember vividly" moments.  I was in 6th grade, and I remember a lot of the excitement surrounding that particular mission because it was the first time a teacher was part of the shuttle team.  One of the fellow 6th grade teachers popped his head into our class and my teacher went over to talk to him.  The next thing I remember is our teacher explaining what happened, while trying to fight back tears.  There's a few moments in our lives where we can go right back to that very moment ... assassinations of various people, sports events like the Miracle on Ice, the terrorist attacks on 9/11 ... or my favorite, when Donald J. Trump beat Hillary :lol: (sorry, had to interject some humor)

I was working in a Gov. Lab when that happened, thought it was fake news or??

Irving Texas working in a body shop. I get back to the place I'm staying and watch it on the news. I shit you not the guy I rented my room from looks over and asked me "what's the last thing the the teacher did before she left" IDK, what "fed the fish"

Edited by Doomxz600

1 hour ago, Bontz said:

The school teacher on board had blue eyes. One blew that way and the other this way. 

I was 50 to 75 miles off the coast of Libya in the Mediterranean Sea we were waiting to see if Muammar Gaddafi was going to attack us for crossing his "Line of Death" in the Mediterranean sea. The Commanding Officer announced over the ships pa system what had happened to the Challenger shuttle and it's crew. 

• Like 3

• Platinum Contributing Member

I was in elementary school watching the launch on tv. Fast forward 20 years when I worked for that company and I had to dig out the old drawings of that clevis joint for those solid boosters. Brought back memories seeing that O-ring groove. Too bad NASA didn't listen and launched anyways

I really have no idea where I was. It wasn’t that important. I remember Columbia, the first shuttle explosion. I’d purchased a new motorcycle that morning. They told the public the crew died instantly. That of course was a lie. Poor fuckers lived several minutes as the crew compartment fell to the ocean’s surface. Splat. 

5 hours ago, Big Crappie said:

Wife and me were watching the launch and I remember telling her "I don't think thats normal" watching the 2 solid rocket boosters shooting away.

Sad day for sure.

Yup watched it in the conference room at work. I said out loud…..that ain’t good. Boss was a NASA nut and he agreed. Watching the pieces fall was horrible.

• Like 1

Was in HS 11th grade sitting in the library watching the launch on the TV as I was  attempting to convince a chick to cut and go to my house to get high . Was pointing out the window at my house off in the distance and people gasped when I turned around it was the 2 trails of smoke .

On January 28, 1986, I happened to be walking through the McElroy commons area at Mankato State at the exact moment of the launch, and they had a TV, so I stopped to watch.  Before the launch, I had complete faith that NASA had their shit together, so when the whole shuttle assembly started breaking up into smaller pieces, I couldn’t believe it.  Yeah, that was a day I remember well.

@Mag6240, were we standing next to each other, or were you in a different residence hall?

Edited by p51mstg
  • Like 1