IRS and their lovely "Child Tax Credit" program

Bontz

OK ... ranting here, but at the same time wondering if anyone else is in the same boat?  This stupid Child Tax Credit program with COVID and the whole "American Rescue Plan" and the IRS sending checks.  My wife was patient & tolerant enough to go through the enormous shit show of opting out ... I did not, because it just pissed me off seeing what was required to opt out when it should have been those steps to opt INTO the damn program.  Anyway, I digress ...

My wife just came in from getting the mail, and we've got a statement from the IRS for our 2021 tax return, pertaining to this program.  It shows that we received $500.50 from the IRS, yet we had only 2 checks sent to us (and totaled way less than the $500.50 on this paperwork).  My wife, much like me & pissed off when seeing this, called her sister to see if they were experiencing the same thing.  Yep!!  Overquoted and underpaid.

Of course I'm the one who now gets stuck having to contact the IRS ... any wagers on how long it'll take to get through to someone, let alone get resolved?

Fucking shit show :wall:

• Gold Member

I had to call them over the fall. After several attempts over days to get someone on the phone I finally googled it and got a sequence of numbers to push to get a actual human. After a couple hours the first time on hold I got disconnected the second attempt I was on hold for over 4hrs but I finally got to talk to someone. Good luck it’s a nightmare I can only imagine it’s worse now being tax season.

28 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

I had to call them over the fall. After several attempts over days to get someone on the phone I finally googled it and got a sequence of numbers to push to get a actual human. After a couple hours the first time on hold I got disconnected the second attempt I was on hold for over 4hrs but I finally got to talk to someone. Good luck it’s a nightmare I can only imagine it’s worse now being tax season.

Yah ... first attempt I was shocked to get through in about 20-25 minutes on the 800 number.  Of course, I got some towel head speaking jag off that I could barely understand, and the phone quality was terrible.  Bottom line from that conversation was, I needed to access the "portal" which means I have to create the ID and all the bullshit I never wanted to do in the first place to opt out.  So, the portal is at least smart enough to pick up where I left off back in August and I RELUCTANTLY went through the remaining steps.  Finally, I get to the point of logging in to look at the payments and they show the first two were hard copy checks (which we DID receive) and the last four checks were mysteriously deposited into some account neither my wife nor I recognize.  So guess what?  I'm back on the phone ... HOLDING.

I fucking hate the IRS and our government :wall:

26 minutes ago, EvilBird said:

We are getting a bunch of $ back this year :dunno:

LOL ... good for you.  Not us, but at least we're not paying in a shit ton of $$$

3 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

Go in person?? I used to do that years ago, maybe Covid won't allow it now.

Good one ... in person:lol:

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Bontz said:

Fucking shit show :wall:

Don't even bother calling the IRS.  Get a good tax accountant and spend your valuable time waiting in the garage for your snowcheck that should have been delivered in November.

Who's worse, Polaris or the IRS?  :lol:

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

What's wrong with in person? Used to do it every year.:ashamed:T

I dunno ... maybe it's going to come to that, but generally they do their best to push people towards the online bullshit.

1 minute ago, teamgreen02 said:

Don't even bother calling the IRS.  Get a good tax accountant and spend your valuable time waiting in the garage for your snowcheck that should have been delivered in November.

Who's worse, Polaris or the IRS?  :lol:

I just flipped a coin ... the IRS is worse :lol2:

Just now, XCR1250 said:

I wasn't sure, last time I did it was more than 30 years ago, then you could sit there and they would do your taxes for free.

they can be helpful but over the years they give less and less attention and started requiring appointments even before covid.  

4 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

they can be helpful but over the years they give less and less attention and started requiring appointments even before covid.  

I usually needed and appointment, but I wasn't there to have them do my taxes, was mostly questions with the small business I was operating.

Did I mention I f'ing hate the IRS? 

So, like clockwork ... I call back, hold for the 20-30 minutes to get to someone & explain the problem.  The person I'm speaking with gives me the expected response of, "I'll need to transfer you to another agent to help with this."  I then ask, before she transfers me, "If we get disconnected, is there a direct number to this other agent's department or do I need to go through all of this again?"  She clearly didn't like me asking that question, and got somewhat pissy in her response (confirming that yes, I'd have to call back and speak with someone from her team again before they attempt to transfer me ... again).  I go on to say, I'm not trying to be argumentative or anything & I appreciate her help - I just want to make sure if something happens during the phone call / transfer that I don't necessarily have to go through everything again.  I thank her for her help, hear the hold music and .... "We're sorry but the number you are calling is experiencing high call volumes and cannot take your call.  Please call back later, or another business day."

:finger2:the IRS

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, BadaBing444 said:

By the time the IRS figures it out and issues a corrected statement, someone will already have filed a fraudulent return against his SSN.

• Haha 1