Best ride of the year so far.

• Platinum Contributing Member

Started in East Dubuque and ran the backwaters of the Mississippi all the way down to an awesome bar/restaurant (Offshore) in Bellevue.   Then up the Galena river to historic town of Galena.  Simply can't explain how good of riding those backchannels are.   Perfect place for the boosted Turbo's to stretch their legs.   Nothing like lifting the ski's at 90+.  Another week of cold weather so that riding should be good for some time.

ride.JPG

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Nice ride. Frozen rivers give me the eeby jeebies these days as I have had too many close calls.

I get that.   Only time on this ride I get a bit nervous is crossing the main channel.   It will make the hair on the back of your neck stand up. 

4 minutes ago, Highmark said:

I get that.   Only time on this ride I get a bit nervous is crossing the main channel.   It will make the hair on the back of your neck stand up. 

Awesome - River riding can certainly be fun, if you know the river very well.

If we can keep accumulating snow here around the Twin Cities, I want to make a 3 day ride all the way around, and the one place I need to cross the Mississippi is at Lake Pepin.  If it's frozen around Dubuque, it must be frozen at Lake City as well.  

8 minutes ago, HSR said:

How many miles is the river run??

About 80 round trip if you take the shortest route.   With all the little channels and cuts its pretty easy to make it 100+.  

1 minute ago, Mag6240 said:

If we can keep accumulating snow here around the Twin Cities, I want to make a 3 day ride all the way around, and the one place I need to cross the Mississippi is at Lake Pepin.  If it's frozen around Dubuque, it must be frozen at Lake City as well.  

I would think its froze good.   Couple really cold nights coming this week as well.   

I've boated the Pepin/Lake City area a couple times from Dubuque.   Don't want to get caught on that in a storm.  

Can you ride up the St. Croix?  That river is incredible on the boats. 

• Like 1

Just now, Highmark said:

About 80 round trip if you take the shortest route.   With all the little channels and cuts its pretty easy to make it 100+.  

I would think its froze good.   Couple really cold nights coming this week as well.   

I've boated the Pepin/Lake City area a couple times from Dubuque.   Don't want to get caught on that in a storm.  

Can you ride up the St. Croix?  That river is incredible on the boats. 

While I'm sure you can ride some of it, it won't take you to any trails that dump off the river with the falls further north....plus there is a fair amount of faster moving water. 

I'll stick to just crossing at this point!

28 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Sounds cool,,if I was on a turbo !!!!

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, HSR said:

Sounds cool,,if I was on a turbo !!!!

They do add a mild bit of enjoyment on runs like that.   :fluffy:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mag6240 said:

3 days?  Took me 2 days to get to Roseau...the loop around the cities can be done in 1 if you hustle, but if I were going to ride for a few days I'd go elsewhere.

12 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

3 days?  Took me 2 days to get to Roseau...the loop around the cities can be done in 1 if you hustle, but if I were going to ride for a few days I'd go elsewhere.

Can't argue with going somewhere else, it was just an adventure that would be fun to do by sled right out of the garage.  I would like to see you try to do it in one day.... I think by trail it's a lot further than you think.  You HAVE to go into Sconnie for the entire eastern side, no other way to do it.  I'll bet the entire circle is closer to 500 miles when it's all said and done.

Considering I have to ride from home to Lake Pepin (~90 miles for me) and then into Sconnie north, my sisters place is in New Richmond for one night - then from there taking it really wide so as not to get caught up in all the suburbs trails over to Monitcello to cross the Mississippi up there, and from Monticello back to my place is almost 200, so yeah, 3 days comfortably.