Front track to high

cats19

Hey all, I reinstalled my rear skid after getting shocks rebuilt but the front of my track is pretty high in the air. Would it just be that the limiter straps need adjusting? They are at same hole I had before shock rebuild. Just seeing what you guys think? 

0123222301.jpg

Edited by cats19
Forgot pic

I agree, that’s too high.

Is there already slack in your limiter strap?  If there is, then loosening it won’t do any good.  

What hole is the front pivot arm bolted to on the tunnel?  You could try moving it to a lower hole (assuming there is one).  I would retension and reallign the track if you do this.

Is the front shock spring pretensioned to its original position?

Does the rear suspension seem to have a normal amount of travel if you jump up and down on it, or is it unmovable?  There doesn’t seem to be any slack in your track, and maybe it’s way too tight.

Edited by p51mstg

47 minutes ago, cats19 said:

So is my pivot for the rear shock in correct position? According to the schematic it is buut when I look at other suspension pics I question if it is. 

0124221052a.jpg

That's correct.  The pivot arm and shock goes on top of the shaft like you have pictured here.  The other way around will rub and destroy the track.

Witness marks look like you have the front arm in the wrong bolt hole.  Double check in the service manual.  Should be available for download on County Cat's website.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, teamgreen02 said:

That's correct.  The pivot arm and shock goes on top of the shaft like you have pictured here.  The other way around will rub and destroy the track.

Witness marks look like you have the front arm in the wrong bolt hole.  Double check in the service manual.  Should be available for download on County Cat's website.

X2

The front bolts are in a different location than when you removed the skid.  That’s probably the reason your track isn’t flat on the floor.

You may need to loosen the track and remove both sets of bolts.  I don’t think it’s possible to adjust the front bolt position unless the back is loose, but I could be wrong.  

When you put it back together, make sure the track is loose enough, because in the pictures I don’t see any sag at all - that will also affect the way the suspension works and could makes things line up weord.

@cats19
Who ever pulled the skid apart and put it back together must have never worked on an 2007 or newer Arctic Cat....

The limiter straps are run around the slide shaft in the tunnel, and the should not be.

That tunnel cross shaft should stay in the sled when you remove the skid frame.

take the skid back out, take off the straps, bolt the cross shaft into the tunnel, put the straps back on, then put the skid in the tunnel.

Year and track length determine which hole you need to use. 

What do you have?

Rear pivot is pointed the right way, just make sure its up when you put the skid back in

Edited by krom
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, krom said:

The limiter straps are run around the slide shaft in the tunnel, and the should not be.

I just noticed that too.  :yikes:

@cats19 not sure what you got for a sled but every Cat I know has the limiter straps set up like this.  Like Krom mentioned, since 2007 Cat has used the Slide-Action rear suspension.  The front arm slides into a cross brace in the tunnel.  That brace does not need to come out to remove the skid, leave it in there.  If you did remove it, make sure you torque it back down with blue Loctite.

Also, make sure you use blue Loctite on the rear skid mounting bolts.  Torque to spec or hit it with the ugga duggas.

image.thumb.png.531374bc25c6eca065ed4b8161dd8e17.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OK quick update. Pulled suspension out to look it over again and noticed that I had limiter straps over the front crossbar. I had taken the crossbar out - only then realizing I did not have to. Must have been late night when I put those on. Either way just wanted to update you all and thank you for your help figuring it out. 

0124222000.jpg

0124221959.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2022 at 5:38 PM, racinfarmer said:

I'll dig around and find you some of my ice racing limiter straps.  You haven't seen a hot mess yet...

Nice!  Did you buy an old race sled?

No, it was a factory demo sled I shit you not.