stay on the trail, and save your can for the mountains or on your own property

• Gold Member
7 minutes ago, Cat45 said:

I'd be ok with steeper fines as long as there's reasonable decibel testing. Impounding sleds is a hard no from me, i don't want to see my tax money going to pay for that 

It’s easy in NH the law is NO modified exhaust. Simply pop the side panel if it isn’t stock give them a ticket no decibel reading needed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 800renegaderider said:

It’s easy in NH the law is NO modified exhaust. Simply pop the side panel if it isn’t stock give them a ticket no decibel reading needed.

So putting a pipe on your sled with stock quiet muffler is against the law?

4 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

I know of a Polaris 'mechanic' from NH that would and claims to have fought that in court with the right to repair act.  He also claims to have won.

• Like 1

• Gold Member
18 minutes ago, Cat45 said:

So putting a pipe on your sled with stock quiet muffler is against the law?

Anything modified to the exhaust at all is illegal. I don’t agree with this but one of my riding buddies has gone as far as cutting the stock muffler shell off and wrapping it over his “quiet”can. I mean it’s worked so far but anyone who knows anything can clearly tell it’s got a exhaust 😂. I’d prefer to just leave it it’s not worth the hassle.

17 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

I know of a Polaris 'mechanic' from NH that would and claims to have fought that in court with the right to repair act.  He also claims to have won.

Maybe it’s possible idk. I’d rather just keep it stock I don’t have time to spend a day in court fighting it and I don’t care to pay a fine it’s bad enough with speed here don’t need more attention brought to ya. Easier just to leave it stock no hassle. 

Just now, 800renegaderider said:

Anything modified to the exhaust at all is illegal. I don’t agree with this but one of my riding buddies has gone as far as cutting the stock muffler shell off and wrapping it over his “quiet”can. I mean it’s worked so far but anyone who knows anything can clearly tell it’s got a exhaust 😂. I’d prefer to just leave it it’s not worth the hassle.

Maybe it’s possible idk. I’d rather just keep it stock I don’t have time to spend a day in court fighting it and I don’t care to pay a fine it’s bad enough with speed here don’t need more attention brought to ya. Easier just to leave it stock no hassle. 

Speed limit too? Holy fuck why even ride there?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

Same deal on the west side of the river. Good. Fines need to be expensive.

• Like 1

• Gold Member
Just now, Cat45 said:

Speed limit too? Holy fuck why even ride there?

I don’t haven’t in a few years we all ride Maine now. Speed limit is 45 but they give you to 55. Last time our group rode NH my bud got two speeding tickets in the same week. To be fair though 45 is for the most part plenty fast enough for the lower 2/3rds of the state but up north 45 even 55 is to damn slow for this guy 

Just now, 800renegaderider said:

I don’t haven’t in a few years we all ride Maine now. Speed limit is 45 but they give you to 55. Last time our group rode NH my bud got two speeding tickets in the same week. To be fair though 45 is for the most part plenty fast enough for the lower 2/3rds of the state but up north 45 even 55 is to damn slow for this guy 

I ride mn alot, they have 55 for a limit but i haven't seen it enforced ever. I've heard the usual stories about it but that's it

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

Federal Forest land in Vermont is posted 35. And the SP and Wardens do run radar.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Liggett said:

Federal Forest land in Vermont is posted 35. And the SP and Wardens do run radar.

I usually don’t complain about MN’s 55 mph speed limit, because nobody seems too interested in enforcing it.

At 35 mph, even my wife would get pulled over.

• Haha 1

Riding in the wrong places, and noise are not new problems. My brother found a copy of Life Magazine from 1971 in an antique shop someplace, and sent it to me. Some cool pics. If you can read the first page, the subjects of 'off trail' and noise are right up front. 

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

1 hour ago, Catalina said:

Riding in the wrong places, and noise are not new problems. My brother found a copy of Life Magazine from 1971 in an antique shop someplace, and sent it to me. Some cool pics. If you can read the first page, the subjects of 'off trail' and noise are right up front. 

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Jason is a snowmobiler?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Catalina said:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

This is exactly what I’ve been saying all along on multiple forums.  I remember it from my childhood, but never had any documented proof such as this.

• Gold Member
2 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Fucking idiots no chance of that land owner ever coming around to potentially opening the trail now I’d bet. They shoulda put up some game cameras there so they could catch who is going around it or cutting it down.

Landowner response is, "Police your own!"  We are going to have to do it ourselves. You can't expect the landowner to go to the expense of monitored trail cameras and the labor of checking them just so he/she can generously allow trails to cross their land.

We need heavier fines and sled impoundment to curtail this behavior. Will there be any riding left before we make it happen?

State snowmobile groups are going to have to work with their state legislators to get the fines and sled impounding written into law to be effective. When?

54 minutes ago, Liggett said:

Landowner response is, "Police your own!"  We are going to have to do it ourselves. You can't expect the landowner to go to the expense of monitored trail cameras and the labor of checking them just so he/she can generously allow trails to cross their land.

We need heavier fines and sled impoundment to curtail this behavior. Will there be any riding left before we make it happen?

State snowmobile groups are going to have to work with their state legislators to get the fines and sled impounding written into law to be effective. When?

I believe that we are only a generation or two from loosing a large amount of the trails and land (public and private) we currently ride on today, whether it is in the Midwest or the East or the Mountains.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, racinfarmer said:

I believe that we are only a generation or two from loosing a large amount of the trails and land (public and private) we currently ride on today, whether it is in the Midwest or the East or the Mountains.

Electric sleds may address the noise and pollution issues by then, but they surely won't stop the off-trail riding.

Trespassers  are a nuisance  everywhere  ... enforcement is almost none existent!

We have too many quads riding through the woods roads onto farm property....

Police + Fish +Game have been of no real help. . . . Surprise surprise 😮 

Comments are that all Yamahas are white and blue.

Game Cameras have been a bust trying to film  fast moving machine.

Most effective measures are large berms made with dozer, closing roads.

2. Denying access to ALL legal hunters, trespassers, etc.

As a land owner, I don't miss the FREE users on our property + waited too long before closing all access. 

12 hours ago, Liggett said:

Electric sleds may address the noise and pollution issues by then, but they surely won't stop the off-trail riding.

Honestly, if people keep doing this shit I foresee more trails or sections of trails getting shut down, or clubs having to put up miles and miles of snow fencing to keep people on the actual trail.

We lost one of my favorite connector trails this year and it really pisses me off.  There was also a major reroute on my favorite trail that I doubt we'll ever get back.

Some people are literally ruining it for everyone by their actions and I don't know how to cure it.  😡

• Sad 1

On 1/23/2022 at 8:27 PM, 800renegaderider said:

https://www.hardcoresledder.com/threads/slp-850-ex-mufflers.1838844/page-2

https://www.hardcoresledder.com/threads/slp-850-ex-mufflers.1838844/post-19983146

Took me a bit to find it but here was Rick's speech regarding the 'right to repair act'.  Afaik he's right.  If there's a sound ordinance and if you are compliant you can run whatever muffler you want.  The issue though may lie in the way you or I might perform the test compared to the way an Leo may perform the test.

There used to be an article online about it written by Olav Aaen but I'll be damned if I can find it any longer.

Edited by Crnr2Crnr

• Gold Member
33 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

https://www.hardcoresledder.com/threads/slp-850-ex-mufflers.1838844/page-2

https://www.hardcoresledder.com/threads/slp-850-ex-mufflers.1838844/post-19983146

Took me a bit to find it but here was Rick's speech regarding the 'right to repair act'.  Afaik he's right.  If there's a sound ordinance and if you are compliant you can run whatever muffler you want.  The issue though may lie in the way you or I might perform the test compared to the way an Leo may perform the test.

There used to be an article online about it written by Olav Aaen but I'll be damned if I can find it any longer.

It sounds good and I’m sure you could beat it in court as he claims. I know NH definitely don’t do a sound reading on trial as far as I know. I’ve gotten a loud exhaust years ago on my Mach z. They open the hood/side panel if it’s not factory you get a ticket maybe it has changed since and they do readings now idk this was probably 10yrs ago I got that ticket. My issue is the officers not educated on what a decibel compliant exhaust is so they see not stock assume it’s loud and write a ticket. So you spend your day in court beat the ticket then what the following weekend you get another one and go through the bs again. It’s just not worth the hassle to me to save a couple pounds of weight.

1 minute ago, 800renegaderider said:

It sounds good and I’m sure you could beat it in court as he claims. I know NH definitely don’t do a sound reading on trial as far as I know. I’ve gotten a loud exhaust years ago on my Mach z. They open the hood/side panel if it’s not factory you get a ticket maybe it has changed since and they do readings now idk this was probably 10yrs ago I got that ticket. My issue is the officers not educated on what a decibel compliant exhaust is so they see not stock assume it’s loud and write a ticket. So you spend your day in court beat the ticket then what the following weekend you get another one and go through the bs again. It’s just not worth the hassle to me to save a couple pounds of weight.

I concur, just laying out the info and am not encouraging 'can use'.  

• Like 2