stay on the trail, and save your can for the mountains or on your own property

10 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

They have ruined lake riding around here.  Everyone has a state highway plowed out to their area, and they do not like to share the lake (that is a real sore subject with me).

Ever hit one of the plow shoulder berms at warp speed at night?  Idk how tf I held on and rode through it.  Now I pretty much avoid the lakes completely.

26 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Ever hit one of the plow shoulder berms at warp speed at night?  Idk how tf I held on and rode through it.  Now I pretty much avoid the lakes completely.

I followed my buddy over one at idiot speed at dusk a few years back.  I just saw his tail light launch and gripped my bars.  Fucking unreal.  Smh.  Lake riding doesn’t interest me at all anyway.

So many people see zero issue with having a loud can.

This guy says he's an adult owner, but then brags about how people WILL hear you coming.  These guys really think everyone else in the world hears their shitty snowmobile coming and is instantly impressed with it and them.  

Screenshot_20220122-083242.png

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, mnstang said:

So many people see zero issue with having a loud can.

This guy says he's an adult owner, but then brags about how people WILL hear you coming.  These guys really think everyone else in the world hears their shitty snowmobile coming and is instantly impressed with it and them.  

Screenshot_20220122-083242.png

Not too many years ago everybody thought tripple pipes and stingers were cool. Never heard landowners complain about noise back then. Times have changed though and some people still haven't figured it out. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Cat45 said:

I help with alot of trail work and deal with the landowners where i ride. I get the Loud can problems but some of them aren't actually that loud. They should do more decibel testing not just " its modified, here's your ticket " type enforcement. The majority of the landowners i see complaining are transplants from the city that are going to complain about even the noise of a stock sled going by. They're pissed if they can even hear 1. The trespassing issue should be zero tolerance, and big fines

I agree on the transplants being the complaints. Same people that move next to a farm and bitch about the smell and sights. It's only going to get worse as more people leave the metro.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Cat45 said:

I help with alot of trail work and deal with the landowners where i ride. I get the Loud can problems but some of them aren't actually that loud. They should do more decibel testing not just " its modified, here's your ticket " type enforcement. The majority of the landowners i see complaining are transplants from the city that are going to complain about even the noise of a stock sled going by. They're pissed if they can even hear 1. The trespassing issue should be zero tolerance, and big fines

You'll never get me to agree that loud cans don't matter, but I agree about the newly transplanted of 2nd home owners being most of the problem. However, as long as they can sell their home on a postage stamp and relocate to the quiet of the country and own multiple acres, we're going to need to deal with it. And noise is sometimes their biggest complaint, especially during nightime. So why do anything to increase it?

3 hours ago, Zambroski said:

I followed my buddy over one at idiot speed at dusk a few years back.  I just saw his tail light launch and gripped my bars.  Fucking unreal.  Smh.  Lake riding doesn’t interest me at all anyway.

A guy in our club cut a corner in flat white light last February and crashed on a plowed ice road - he just went home from that accident about a month ago.  Lakes suck, I really don’t like running them.

4 minutes ago, Liggett said:

You'll never get me to agree that loud cans don't matter, but I agree about the newly transplanted of 2nd home owners being most of the problem. However, as long as they can sell their home on a postage stamp and relocate to the quiet of the country and own multiple acres, we're going to need to deal with it. And noise is sometimes their biggest complaint, especially during nightime. So why do anything to increase it?

I agree that's why I said times have changed. I'll bet in the not so distant future we're not allowed to ride at night either

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Liggett said:

Quebec has banned riding after 10PM or midnight, I forget which, and don't know if it's plandemic related or not.

I'm pretty sure that's been the law up there before the pandemic. I'm sure it'll happen down here because we don't have enough laws already😠

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Mag6240 said:

A guy in our club cut a corner in flat white light last February and crashed on a plowed ice road - he just went home from that accident about a month ago.  Lakes suck, I really don’t like running them.

Hell, I grew up on the lake and even when it was clear there was a sled trail/track running in a few places. Somebody always plowed a fucking road through it.  It’s hard to believe but lake running has proven to be more dangerous than the trails. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

It’s got an aftermarket can on it AND it’s off the groomed trail. Eat a dick C2C! :lol:

7681BB9A-5D5B-4B19-89E0-F979A01984F7.jpeg

Lost again in da yoop eh?   😉 

Ever get a chance to get to that place we discussed otr?

9 hours ago, Cat45 said:

Not too many years ago everybody thought tripple pipes and stingers were cool. Never heard landowners complain about noise back then. Times have changed though and some people still haven't figured it out. 

How many landowners have you talked to?

40 minutes ago, Cat45 said:

Dozens of them. I've been helping sign trails do trail cleanup, and  help with landowner relations since the 1990's

That's great and Thank you.  Been doing similar since the 90's also along with grooming.  We've been hearing the noise issue since I've been involved with trails along with riding off trail.  Its caused multiple reroutes and a few landowners to stop giving us permission to run the trail through their land.  Our opinions to reroute trails is really getting limited and with farm land being sold off and developed is hurting even more.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Lost again in da yoop eh?   😉 

Ever get a chance to get to that place we discussed otr?

Lower. Around the inlaws place. Keweenaw trip ships north this Wednesday until Sunday. Haven’t rode it yet this year so I brought it up just to make sure the pistons were ready to kick themselves out of the case when it gets it’s guts stomped out next week. 

Negative ghost rider. Almost had a trip going that direction a few weeks ago and then my buddy that wanted to go got slapped with the Chyna flu so no bueno. 

1 hour ago, Doug said:

That's great and Thank you.  Been doing similar since the 90's also along with grooming.  We've been hearing the noise issue since I've been involved with trails along with riding off trail.  Its caused multiple reroutes and a few landowners to stop giving us permission to run the trail through their land.  Our opinions to reroute trails is really getting limited and with farm land being sold off and developed is hurting even more.

That's the whole problem imo, the development of farmland and large tracts of timber co lands brings people out of the cities that don't like motorized recreation. I believe they will complain about loud sleds but most couldn't tell the difference between stock and modified. It seems lately that  if they can hear it they're pissed no matter what

Edited by Cat45

On 1/22/2022 at 8:02 AM, Crnr2Crnr said:

Thankfully, no.  I've intentionally hit them though.

On 1/22/2022 at 2:55 PM, dsupercat said:

In the state of Wisconsin if you plow a road on a lake and someone is injured you can be responsible for injuries.  

I'm not sure how that works here in MN, but the ice blocks the spear guys drag up are supposed to be place back where they came or chopped up, yet my friend has totaled out two sleds hitting them.  The trick is proving who did it.  Some placed you'd think it would be very obvious, but probably not in the courtroom.

• Gold Member

Just a thought maybe people are hearing older sleds and thinking they have pipes or cans. The older sleds are just louder than the new stuff and I’m sure the added age of a blown out mufflers doesn’t help that. They need to make the fines hurt a 80$ loud exhaust ticket is nothing in a sport that some have 100k in just to go riding. I’d say 500+ fine and second offense sled towed and 1k fine or something that will actually get people to think about running a can. Only thing that makes dumb people show respect is making it cost them a bunch of money.

Edited by 800renegaderider
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

Just a thought maybe people are hearing older sleds and thinking they have pipes or cans. The older sleds are just louder than the new stuff and I’m sure the added age of a blown out mufflers doesn’t help that. They need to make the fines hurt a 80$ loud exhaust ticket is nothing in a sport that some have 100k in just to go riding. I’d say 500+ fine and second offense sled towed and 1k fine or something that will actually get people to think about running a can. Only thing that makes dumb people show respect is making it cost them a bunch of money.

90 days of impound and loss of trail pass permit.  

14 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

I don’t know about impounding that’s getting a little to California like for me but steeper fines loss of trail permit I’m fine with.

I'd be ok with steeper fines as long as there's reasonable decibel testing. Impounding sleds is a hard no from me, i don't want to see my tax money going to pay for that