stay on the trail, and save your can for the mountains or on your own property

just another prime example hot of the presses...

https://bigfrog104.com/four-snowmobile-riders-ruin-fun-for-everyone-trail-closing-in-central-ny/?fbclid=IwAR2h5Frk5dP2tRe2l4H9X9qIbEjqUo_4sZd8j5HFIelju1BPMuKNxjklkB8

as much as I enjoy kidding around in the 'other forum', this problem certainly doesn't seem to be going away

idiots will bring an end to trail riding long before global warming ever does

grow the f@ck up!  :( 

• Like 1

Usually the littering, trespassing, and loud sleds are one in the same people.

After some of the stuff I've seen this year, I've decided that sledding and quads/sxs are the great divider of who has any amount of self control and those who don't.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

Usually the littering, trespassing, and loud sleds are one in the same people.

After some of the stuff I've seen this year, I've decided that sledding and quads/sxs are the great divider of who has any amount of self control and those who don't.

My buddy who has a place in the boonies in Florence county has had an issue with ORV folks trespassing on his clearly marked driveway and property lines.  The last straw for him this past summer was finding a pile of cans and bottles and some trash on one of his personal trails.  He set up a couple well placed game cameras, called the sheriff and DNR.  He's also an ATV owner but has had enough and will prosecute the next time.

I just don't get the total disrespect some folks seem to show these days.

• Sad 1

I’ve seen snowmobilers do some really stupid things, from a trespassing perspective, and it predates the covid rush.  So, I think this is a storm that has been a long time in the making.  Probably a lot longer than anyone realizes.  To fix the problem, we have to dedicate ourselves to the long game, one that can be passed on to the next generation, because that’s how long it’s going to take to solve.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, p51mstg said:

I’ve seen snowmobilers do some really stupid things, from a trespassing perspective, and it predates the covid rush.  So, I think this is a storm that has been a long time in the making.  Probably a lot longer than anyone realizes.  To fix the problem, we have to dedicate ourselves to the long game, one that can be passed on to the next generation, because that’s how long it’s going to take to solve.

Are you on Facebook?

It's amazing how many people are looking for 'cans' or can advise on a daily basis.  Most do not like to be confronted about it either.

But, it's not just about the noise and more about the disrespect of people given the right to ride trails on private property and in some cases blatantly dissrespecting the wishes of the property owners who give them that right.  

We have an 'entitled' people problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Are you on Facebook?

It's amazing how many people are looking for 'cans' or can advise on a daily basis.  Most do not like to be confronted about it either.

But, it's not just about the noise and more about the disrespect of people given the right to ride trails on private property and in some cases blatantly dissrespecting the wishes of the property owners who give them that right.  

We have an 'entitled' people problem.

The "cans" topic absolutely kills me.  More so when people try to play the, "But Harley riders are allowed to run loud ass bikes!!" rationale.  Dumb fucks :wall:

And yes, I do agree with @p51mstg that we've been having issues, even before COVID ... but some of the newbies to the sport aren't helping matters with the bullshit they pull too (trespassing mostly).

Edited by Bontz
  • Like 1

Our latest "Off Trail" issue just came up yesterday.  

A farmer called to say sleds are running off the trail in his Winter Wheat field.  

Turns out its the land owners son!  Can't make it up.....

• Haha 4

11 minutes ago, Bontz said:

The "cans" topic absolutely kills me.  More so when people try to play the, "But Harley riders are allowed to run loud ass bikes!!" rationale.  Dumb fucks :wall:

And yes, I do agree with @p51mstg that we've been having issues, even before COVID ... but some of the newbies to the sport aren't helping matters with the bullshit they pull too (trespassing mostly).

:thumbsup:

A trail pass is not a 'ride where and how you please' pass.

I guess this campaign went in one ear and out the other for some folks.

https://www.snowmobilerspledge.com/

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Mag6240 said:

Our latest "Off Trail" issue just came up yesterday.  

A farmer called to say sleds are running off the trail in his Winter Wheat field.  

Turns out its the land owners son!  Can't make it up.....

Oh man ... that's good stuff :lol2:

Lol, straight from the WI DNR this morning...

The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources (DNR) is urging snowmobilers to slow down and ride sober this and every snowmobile season. 

Two snowmobile fatalities have been reported so far in 2022, following another 13 in 2021, with alcohol, excess speed, driver inexperience and operator error as the leading causes.

DNR conservation wardens and local law enforcement partners will be on patrol across the state during the upcoming Think Smart Before You Start enforcement campaign this weekend.

During last year's effort, authorities made contact with more than 1,500 snowmobilers, issuing nearly 50 citations and over 350 warnings.

Be in the know and review Wisconsin’s snowmobile safety rules and regulations before heading out.

Think smart before you start by following these tips:

ON THE TRAILS

Don’t drink and ride.

Stay on marked trails – riding off-trail or cutting corners is trespassing.

Always wear your helmet and safety gear.

Slow down and use extra caution at night.

Travel with a friend, carry a cell phone and let people know where you are going and when you’ll return home.

Dress appropriately, carry a first aid kit and navigation tools.

Take a snowmobile safety course.

Check trail conditions using the Travel Wisconsin Snowmobile Snow Report.

For additional information on snowmobile safety classes, regulations, safety tips or to register your snowmobile, click here.

DNR VIOLATION HOTLINE

Anyone with information regarding natural resource violations, including unsafe snowmobile operation, may confidentially report by calling or texting: VIOLATION HOTLINE: 1-800-TIP-WDNR or 1-800-847-9367. The hotline is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Trained staff relay the information to conservation wardens. File an online report here

53 minutes ago, Mag6240 said:

The LEO's were out in HEAVY force around Iron River last weekend Thursday-Sunday, day and night....

I'm in favor of impounding sleds caught riding off trail where it's not allowed, and serious fines for cans on trails too.

• Like 4

We've had some new club members over the past couple years that have been helping out quite a bit.  All have made comments that they never knew what was all involved with working with the landowners, putting trails in and out, brushing and other things clubs need to do to keep the trails open.  They haven't had the pleasure of going out to talk to a justifiable pissed off landowner and work with them to keep the trail open on their land.

• Like 3

Seems like a series of interviews, and some 'behind the scenes' shots of what it takes to keep trails open, and who does the work run on something like Sled TV might be helpful. Just as a way to get the word out. 

Follow a group of club members for a day as they clear brush and build a bridge, maybe even talk to a landowner, that sort of thing. 

3 hours ago, Mag6240 said:

The LEO's were out in HEAVY force around Iron River last weekend Thursday-Sunday, day and night....

That area could be a gold mine for LEO's, with the 10mph speed limit and the stop signs that everyone seems to roll through.

I guess more notice needs to be done on some platform other than Facebook. I mean the notices and posts/threads are all over the sledding pages on FB. I've heard that lotsa kids say FB is so "yesterday" but I don't have the slightest clue what platform they're using. 

It probably won't make a difference because some of these people just see DON'T, as a dare to do it anyway. They should lose the sleds!

3 hours ago, Liggett said:

I guess more notice needs to be done on some platform other than Facebook. I mean the notices and posts/threads are all over the sledding pages on FB. I've heard that lotsa kids say FB is so "yesterday" but I don't have the slightest clue what platform they're using. 

It probably won't make a difference because some of these people just see DON'T, as a dare to do it anyway. They should lose the sleds!

We have great landowners but have lost a couple because noise and going off of the trail.  One felt bad about it but and said they just had enough because the trail was close to their house and we really couldn't change it.  He even helped us with a re-route.  

So many people don't realize the mechanics of keeping these trails open and it becomes hard to convince landowners to keep the trail open when you have stupid and entitled people riding them.  At some point you think to yourself your right and I don't blame you for not giving up permission.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Liggett said:

They are posting all their GGB mountain can, wheelie riding and illegal off trail riding videos on TikTok. Place is riddled with them. 

Almost every used sled that I’ve looked at lately, on FB marketplace, has a GGB mountain can on it. 

35 minutes ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

They are posting all their GGB mountain can, wheelie riding and illegal off trail riding videos on TikTok. Place is riddled with them. 

Almost every used sled that I’ve looked at lately, on FB marketplace, has a GGB mountain can on it. 

The sad part is, that kind of group comes in to the sport for 3-4-5-6 years, fucks a bunch of shit up, and moves on to the next hobby and does the same thing there.  Sleds to quads to SxS to ???  We seem to be in the SxS and Ice Castle stage here.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

The sad part is, that kind of group comes in to the sport for 3-4-5-6 years, fucks a bunch of shit up, and moves on to the next hobby and does the same thing there.  Sleds to quads to SxS to ???  We seem to be in the SxS and Ice Castle stage here.

Don't get me started on that subject 

• Haha 1

I help with alot of trail work and deal with the landowners where i ride. I get the Loud can problems but some of them aren't actually that loud. They should do more decibel testing not just " its modified, here's your ticket " type enforcement. The majority of the landowners i see complaining are transplants from the city that are going to complain about even the noise of a stock sled going by. They're pissed if they can even hear 1. The trespassing issue should be zero tolerance, and big fines

• Like 2

7 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

Here they seem to bounce back and forth between them all. The hot ticket these days is to sell all your sled shit, buy a sxs and then go out and rip up private property all summer and groomed sled trails all winter. 

56 minutes ago, Cat45 said:

I help with alot of trail work and deal with the landowners where i ride. I get the Loud can problems but some of them aren't actually that loud. They should do more decibel testing not just " its modified, here's your ticket " type enforcement. The majority of the landowners i see complaining are transplants from the city that are going to complain about even the noise of a stock sled going by. They're pissed if they can even hear 1. The trespassing issue should be zero tolerance, and big fines

This is a popular thing here too. A lot of retirees, and now wfh transplants, buy/build right next to trails and complain about even stock sleds. You can buy legal dB level silencers. In Michigan you can’t be ticketed for aftermarket exhaust, they have to dB test you and they do set up check point from time to time.