C&A Pros

Liggett

1 minute ago, Doug said:

Rode with a guy today that just put C&A's on his Doo.  In the morning with tight trails mine with Pro-Steers and 6" carbides cornered on rails and his sled was darting a little.  By the afternoon when the trails we loose and washed out my sled started pushing in some of the corners while his wasn't darting anymore and still holding the corners well.

Thats kinda what I'm looking for. Reduced soft snow push. I can figure out the darting if it's excessive. My Pro-Steers with 6" deuce bars are perfect on hard trails. Thanks.

6 hours ago, Liggett said:

Interesting. Can you explain the 2x6 trick? I was planning to have it on a lift for the ski changeover. I'm old ya know, and the parts don't collapse as easily as they once did.

2x4(s) work also.  I just use the 2x6 and have to stack them because I have deep keels (XTs).  You raise the sled and put the blocks under one side of the ski then lower the sled and insert bolt, then remove and do the same on the other side of the ski.  It’s a bit of a wrestling match with a new mounting kit.  Much easier the second season.

If I’m not mistaken, there’s a video on it.  YouTube?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zambroski said:

2x4(s) work also.  I just use the 2x6 and have to stack them because I have deep keels (XTs).  You raise the sled and put the blocks under one side of the ski then lower the sled and insert bolt, then remove and do the same on the other side of the ski.  It’s a bit of a wrestling match with a new mounting kit.  Much easier the second season.

OK, I thought maybe that's how you were using them. Thanks for the clarification.

2 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

It is amazing how many are 'as they left the dealer' regardless of brand.

Hell I still pass pure stock early 2000 era sleds that have been hauled their entire lives on open trailers and stored outside year round. It’s amazing what people will trust to get them around the woods let alone modify it. 

35 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

I do both at once this way.  Helps to invite a fat Polaris rider over for dinner to sit on it while he eats.

On 1/22/2022 at 9:24 PM, Zambroski said:

C&A's are on! You were right, getting them lined up to get the ski bolt thru was a bear. Even using a 6x6x18" block, but we got 'er done! Thank God for the Lift a Sled! May not ride until Friday at the earliest or most likely next week. I'll have my shock spring wrenches with me. Thanks for your help.

• 2 weeks later...

Rode today for the first time on the C&A's. I "think" they're better in soft snow, but we got 12" last night and nothing was groomed where we went except by other sleds. You know what that's like. a real workout. I did not notice hard steering and have not touched my previous suspension settings yet.

On 1/22/2022 at 10:01 PM, Crnr2Crnr said:

I do both at once this way.  Helps to invite a fat Polaris rider over for dinner to sit on it while he eats.

Finally got out yesterday on some well grommed soft trails. First 5 miles the darting almost jerked my arms outta the sockets! Gradually increased the preload on the FTS and reduced on the rear shock. 1 change at a time and test ride. Ended up with clickers on the IFS turned down 4 clicks. Greatly reduced darting after all the adjustments which all-in-all took me about 25-30 miles to accomplish. The XPT's have cured my pushing issue in soft snow which I could not tune out with the Prosteers. The XPT's DO steer harder, still, but not harder enough that I'm giving up the performance and precision.

Before my next ride, I'm going to back off all preload on the IFS leaving only enough to keep the springs tight and try that to see if it helps the minimal darting that's still there..

• Like 2

I have grippers on my assault an with 7 inch shaper bars thing was a bear to turn no matter conditions. Have C&A  XCS on my Matryx indy xc with 6 inch snow stud snipers . It wasnt as bad as the grippers with shapers but still a little heavy. was in the process of dialing it in an later that day made a wrong turn an ended up having to go over RR tracks an they broke off one of my carbides, oops. going to try a round bar next time instead of a shaper style. But definatly leaps an bounds better than pro steers in soft conditions.

51 minutes ago, Gutterz said:

I have grippers on my assault an with 7 inch shaper bars thing was a bear to turn no matter conditions. Have C&A  XCS on my Matryx indy xc with 6 inch snow stud snipers . It wasnt as bad as the grippers with shapers but still a little heavy. was in the process of dialing it in an later that day made a wrong turn an ended up having to go over RR tracks an they broke off one of my carbides, oops. going to try a round bar next time instead of a shaper style. But definatly leaps an bounds better than pro steers in soft conditions.

Have had excellent luck with Woody's executives.  Bolting on a fresh new pair after 3 seasons as soon as UPS shows up.   Will snap a few pics when I get the old ones off.  They've taken a solid beating.   

And Fuck shapers, Bergstrom triple points, and snow trackers... :lol:

2 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Have had excellent luck with Woody's executives.  Bolting on a fresh new pair after 3 seasons as soon as UPS shows up.   Will snap a few pics when I get the old ones off.  They've taken a solid beating.   

And Fuck shapers, Bergstrom triple points, and snow trackers... :lol:

Wasnt a fan of the shapers they bend to easy it seems like. 

• Like 1

With all the weight I can get off the skis, the XCR's with 6" shapers were too much on the hard snow yesterday AM. And in the fresh powder at altitude with a firm base. Down low in the sun and slush they were OK. I've got some Woody's on a round host bar ordered. If those don't fix the hard snow darting, it's back to the deuce bars on the prosteers and live with/try to fix the pushing in soft snow.

On 2/10/2022 at 8:50 AM, p51mstg said:

I wonder if it’s worth checking ski alignment.  maybe the excessive understeer of the old skis masked an alignment issue.  Just thinking out loud.

Checked alignment 1/8"of the Prosteers before installing the C&A's. Then re-checked the C&A's for the required 3/8".

On 2/12/2022 at 2:14 PM, Liggett said:

With all the weight I can get off the skis, the XCR's with 6" shapers were too much on the hard snow yesterday AM. And in the fresh powder at altitude with a firm base. Down low in the sun and slush they were OK. I've got some Woody's on a round host bar ordered. If those don't fix the hard snow darting, it's back to the deuce bars on the prosteers and live with/try to fix the pushing in soft snow.

Sure you aren't tracking and not darting?  Dual carbides are never a good solution imo, but you didn't really buy the friendliest of skis if you don't want them to follow other tracks.

It could be tracking vs. darting. It was originally darting before I tightened the FTS spring preload and backed off the rear preload. That's calmed down significantly but turn in effort is still excessive. The XPT's are supposed to be the least aggressive that C&A offers, and I was trying to address soft snow pushing. Which they did. I'm probably going to go back to the Prosteer skis and the suspension settings I had before switching skis. The Prosteers with 6" deuce bars didn't dart and were excellent on hard snow. I'll just have to keep working on the soft snow pushing. Maybe I just need more ski preload.

They are worlds better than the prosteers and without the other concerns you had with the C&As.  That being said everything is a compromise.

No ski should dart on a well setup sled.  No tracking should be a concern with a relaxed rider.  Beware the bandaid you seek 

• 2 weeks later...

Just went C&A ski-loop shopping... not a lot of options.  Found what I wanted.  If anyone needs a set of black loops lmk  :lol:

From C&A's site... 1st one is loops, second is colors for skis other than black

NOTICE: All colors other than black are out of stock for the remainder of the season. Please check with your local snowmobile dealer. They may have color handles in stock. We only have black at this time.

Some colors are temporarily out of stock. We are working hard to replenish them. Check local dealers for availability. Due to high volume, lead time for all orders is now 5 business days excluding custom skis.