Gassing up sleds

Just because of this thread I had to unload my sled in the Kwik Trip parking lot and run grounding cables from the non-conductive plastic tank, to the sled frame, to the steel bollards concreted 3 feet into the ground.  Can never be too safe!

Nothing is 100% safe with gasoline unless the oxygen is eliminated.  Even filling your car or truck fuel tank can cause an explosion.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 1/16/2022 at 9:06 PM, 800renegaderider said:

People really are quite stupid.  Wtf?

@Zambroski I've been using these for the outboard at the cottage and the lawn mower.  Not horrible but not old school.  Stupidly overpriced though.

https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/surecan-5-gal-red-gasoline-fuel-can/0000000305954

1 hour ago, teamgreen02 said:

Just because of this thread I had to unload my sled in the Kwik Trip parking lot and run grounding cables from the non-conductive plastic tank, to the sled frame, to the steel bollards concreted 3 feet into the ground.  Can never be too safe!

Nothing is 100% safe with gasoline unless the oxygen is eliminated.  Even filling your car or truck fuel tank can cause an explosion.

Safer first.  Mask up and make that happen!!!

1 hour ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

People really are quite stupid.  Wtf?

@Zambroski I've been using these for the outboard at the cottage and the lawn mower.  Not horrible but not old school.  Stupidly overpriced though.

https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/surecan-5-gal-red-gasoline-fuel-can/0000000305954

Race jugs for the win.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Safer first.  Mask up and make that happen!!!

Race jugs for the win.

I just went back and read the thread from last year. How did we ever survive metal gas cans with metal spark inducing spouts? AND YOU HAVE THEM SITTING ON YOUR TAILGATE!!! Why are you still among the living?

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Liggett said:

I just went back and read the thread from last year. How did we ever survive metal gas cans with metal spark inducing spouts? AND YOU HAVE THEM SITTING ON YOUR TAILGATE!!! Why are you still among the living?

Cheating death!  Filling jugs on the tailgate while being unvaccinated and not masked up!  Death is my bitch!!!  :lmao:

Funny, my dad has a half dozen old metal five gallon cans….my name is on them!!!!

2 hours ago, Zambroski said:

Cheating death!  Filling jugs on the tailgate while being unvaccinated and not masked up!  Death is my bitch!!!  :lmao:

Funny, my dad has a half dozen old metal five gallon cans….my name is on them!!!!

The vaccine and masks don't stop the flame from burning you, but it limits your chances of nagging mask Nazis telling you to put a mask on while you are rolling on the ground. Still not worth it.

• Haha 1

Static discharge happens anytime you run liquid through rubber hose, its why we ground fuel trucks during loading and unloading. You see it in the winter but it happens more in summer when the air had more moisture. It is the same thing as rubbing your feet on the carpet and touching someone, that little spark. Your bed liner will hold a static charge that will discharge when you remove the gas hose from the can.

I have seen the safety films of them going up in flames and granted it all has to come together just right but when it does, Boom !

3 minutes ago, Doomxz600 said:

Static discharge happens anytime you run liquid through rubber hose, its why we ground fuel trucks during loading and unloading. You see it in the winter but it happens more in summer when the air had more moisture. It is the same thing as rubbing your feet on the carpet and touching someone, that little spark. Your bed liner will hold a static charge that will discharge when you remove the gas hose from the can.

I have seen the safety films of them going up in flames and granted it all has to come together just right but when it does, Boom !

I agree, but how is this different than just fueling up your vehicle or a snowmobile on a trailer?

You are also pumping far more fuel from your truck than just 5 gallons so the possibility drops even lower.

38 minutes ago, BobRoss said:

I agree, but how is this different than just fueling up your vehicle or a snowmobile on a trailer?

You are also pumping far more fuel from your truck than just 5 gallons so the possibility drops even lower.

350 million gallons of gas is used every day in the US or 128 billion gallons a year. The odds of blowing up while filling your gas is nothing. You probably have a better chance of getting struck by lighting and it shooting out your dick like a pissed off Thor boner 

• Like 1

There’s a avg of 4150 fires at the pumps every year. Let’s say the avg fill up is 20 gallons. 4150x20 is 83,000. So 83,000gallons of gas each year pumped starts a fire. 83,000 divided by 128 billion is .00000065 or .000065 percent chance of a fire or explosion at the gas pump every year. Statistically improbable  but still possible. 

Edited by Nanner
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, BobRoss said:

Not really about volume and you don't know if your holding the a static charge. How often have you unwrapped something and had the plastic wrap stick to you like a balloon to a wall after you rub in on your hair. Same odds as someone smoking at the pump. Everyone is a tough guy until they are on fire then like everything else its someone else's fault.

10 hours ago, Nanner said:

350 million gallons of gas is used every day in the US or 128 billion gallons a year. The odds of blowing up while filling your gas is nothing. You probably have a better chance of getting struck by lighting and it shooting out your dick like a pissed off Thor boner 

my brother and I have each been struck already, you need to get out more

2 hours ago, Doomxz600 said:

my brother and I have each been struck already, you need to get out more

Odds of being struck by lighting in us is 1 in 700,000. Or .00014 percent. Couldn’t find info of lighting shooting out your dick. You’re 20 times more likely to be struck by lighting than having a fire at the pumps. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Nanner said:

Odds of being struck by lighting in us is 1 in 700,000. Or .00014 percent. Couldn’t find info of lighting shooting out your dick. You’re 20 times more likely to be struck by lighting than having a fire at the pumps. 

Now when I started working with fuels I thought america was ignorant with the things they did but over time I discovered america's are rather smart but are just plain lazy. So as you pointed out the numbers are in your favor as you were smart enough to do the math figure that out, but the thing is your lazy enough to light yourself on fire anyways.

I'll fill my gas can up anywhere I want I don't care for one second what qwikiemart Karen has to say.  

Do you take the gas tank out of your truck and put it on the ground every time you fill up?

5 hours ago, Doomxz600 said:

Not really about volume and you don't know if your holding the a static charge. How often have you unwrapped something and had the plastic wrap stick to you like a balloon to a wall after you rub in on your hair. Same odds as someone smoking at the pump. Everyone is a tough guy until they are on fire then like everything else its someone else's fault.

It's not about volume? Are you telling me that 5 gallons of fuel builds the exact same amount of static electricity as emptying a tanker? The same with rubbing a balloon. A fraction of a second compared to minutes of running the balloon will produce a different amount of static electricity if everything else was the same.

I completely agree with static electricity being a real thing when pumping fuel, but we are talking about 5 gallons. Not 500 gallons.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BobRoss said:

It's not about volume? Are you telling me that 5 gallons of fuel builds the exact same amount of static electricity as emptying a tanker? The same with rubbing a balloon. A fraction of a second compared to minutes of running the balloon will produce a different amount of static electricity if everything else was the same.

I completely agree with static electricity being a real thing when pumping fuel, but we are talking about 5 gallons. Not 500 gallons.

And that is the problem, thinking somehow "only five gallons"or "was only a few moments" isn't enough, somehow it has to be more so being careless is ok.  Anytime you transfer liquid in a hose it can happen but hey you'll be the first to know if its a problem. 

29 minutes ago, Doomxz600 said:

And that is the problem, thinking somehow "only five gallons"or "was only a few moments" isn't enough, somehow it has to be more so being careless is ok.  Anytime you transfer liquid in a hose it can happen but hey you'll be the first to know if its a problem. 

That is 100% a fact. So is the possibility of slipping in the shower and bashing my head. Life is a risk assessment.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, mnstang said:

I'll fill my gas can up anywhere I want I don't care for one second what qwikiemart Karen has to say.  

Do you take the gas tank out of your truck and put it on the ground every time you fill up?

sure, its not that heavy as I'm not that weak or lazy