Gassing up sleds

I still don't have an answer over on HCS about why filling plastic 5 gallon jugs while on the tailgate of my pickup is more dangerous than putting them on the ground. I don't see how they can be "grounded" in either position if they're plastic.

• Gold Member

Well because they say so that’s why duh

“The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health recommends never filling up a gas can on a truck bed with a plastic liner or in cars with carpeted trunks or floors. This is because the can won't be grounded.“

I’d think it has more to do with fumes being more contained and concentrated to the pick up box or trunk and easier to ignite vs just on the ground in a more open space???

I’d say fuck it do it and if you’re that worried maybe some safety squints ya know just incase she blows up on ya while filling 👍 

Edited by 800renegaderider

1 minute ago, 800renegaderider said:

Well because they say so that’s why duh

“The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health recommends never filling up a gas can on a truck bed with a plastic liner or in cars with carpeted trunks or floors. This is because the can won't be grounded.“

I’d think it has more to do with fumes being more contained and concentrated to the pick up box or trunk and easier to ignite vs just on the ground in a more open space???

I’d say fuck it do it and if you’re that worried maybe some safety squints ya know just incase she blows up on ya while filling 👍 

This is why we now have gas cans that you can’t use.  Because we have retards in this world.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, 800renegaderider said:

But it takes a freakin magician to open one of those stupid new gas cans no way a retards figuring that out 😂 

I had to buy a little one gallon last year.  Not kidding…wtf?  I ended up just ripping off the god damn spout and pouring it out of the can.  Shit went everywhere but, “safety”.

I seriously laughed…posted about it here too. It had detailed instructions on how to use it.  :lol:

• Haha 1

• Gold Member
1 minute ago, Zambroski said:

I had to buy a little one gallon last year.  Not kidding…wtf?  I ended up just ripping off the god damn spout and pouring it out of the can.  Shit went everywhere but, “safety”.

I seriously laughed…posted about it here too. It had detailed instructions on how to use it.  :lol:

:lol2: i remember that was actually a interesting thread 

Never heard of such a thing ... shit, I drop my tailgate and fill up my cans on there all the time.  Guess I'm just dumb & lucky to not have blown up the entire gas station all these years!!

• Haha 1

My only thought is the rubber tires insulating the vehicle from ground increasing the chance of a static electric spark igniting fuel vapors. In reality, I think the chances of the right conditions being present is remote, but not zero. Not something I would waste any time worrying about personally. People gas up their sleds on the trailer including myself.

17 minutes ago, AlbanyCO said:

My only thought is the rubber tires insulating the vehicle from ground increasing the chance of a static electric spark igniting fuel vapors. In reality, I think the chances of the right conditions being present is remote, but not zero. Not something I would waste any time worrying about personally. People gas up their sleds on the trailer including myself.

17 minutes ago, AlbanyCO said:

Exactly. I also asked what was the difference between my tailgate and a sled sitting in a rubber tired trailer? Never got an answer about that one except for the volatile fume issue. I can see the spark issue with an old metal jerry can or other metal gas can and the need for grounding, but plastic?

Real job site safety cans are steel with spring loaded caps + flame arrestors built into the can.

Sparks can be generated from static electricity from a plastic surface.

Spills are safer on the ground than in a car trunk or splashing on you from a tailgate.

How about this: if you are a fucking idiot, just pop your own cork so the rest of us don’t have to pay the price for your inept stupidity.  There’s already enough out there making up tiny percentage scenarios in the name of safety and it is getting annoying as fuck.

When was the last time you heard of somebody blowing themselves up by their tail gate?  Jesus fucking Christ!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, X2700 said:

Now filling your car with plastic gas can with lit cigarette in your mouth can be hazardous!!

Me and buddies found that out when we were younger!!😁

Yep, way better to keep the lit cigarette in your non-filling hand.  At least that is what we do here.

1 hour ago, Deephaven said:

Yep, way better to keep the lit cigarette in your non-filling hand.  At least that is what we do here.

Back in the day Some idiot around here thought it was a good idea to check gas level with a lighter. That’s a mistake he will never forget when he looks in a mirror.