Is The ProCross Chassis Prone to Overheat?

jdels

On 2/23/2022 at 7:19 AM, HSR said:

OK guys lets simmer down please. We'd like to have this area for sled talk. There is lots of places here to bash :bc:

It's one person that shouldn't be here.  Really it makes this whole site a waste for me.  It'll never grow with that guy.

1 hour ago, mnstang said:

It's one person that shouldn't be here.  Really it makes this whole site a waste for me.  It'll never grow with that guy.

:dunno: I can't keep up??

230 miles this weekend. Ran my scratchers for about 6 miles on pure ice. Otherwise never seen temps get past 115 on the gauge. Ran hot last year without the flares. Can this really be a partial cure? Will be riding the next 3-4 weeks so will keep adding data. Sled is running great, but my shocks are all going to have to be rebuilt. 5 years so I guess I can live with that. 

• Like 2

• 11 months later...

YES!!!!

been through it twice now and this time was very similar to the experience with @Not greg b

started out with a great after work ride with my brother, then hit the groom which was white concrete due to the temp drop.  dropped the Cat 'don't use reverse' abortion coat hangers on the Snopro and things were fine, cable scratchers on the Procross... not exactly.  Temp light and trailside relaxing three times.  Lot of stops in the woods because there was no powder or loose snow for cooling.  Have a theory on the Procross overheating issues which requires pictures which I can't take now.  Will tomorrow.

IMG_20230207_172916090_HDR.jpg

• Like 2

Put on a hard 250 miles last weekend, 2020 800 ZR. Never saw a temp past 115, mostly 104. Snow was powdery with some icy spots. Temp was mostly single digits to negative single digits. Never used scratchers once.

Late to the trail procross thing.  But I haven't had cooling issues with my 600.   I've rode in good snow.  The previous owner did use ski mounted scratchers which I took off.  If trails are hard and fast that's when the fanners shine anyway.  Done.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mnstang said:

Late to the trail procross thing.  But I haven't had cooling issues with my 600.   I've rode in good snow.  The previous owner did use ski mounted scratchers which I took off.  If trails are hard and fast that's when the fanners shine anyway.  Done.

it was literally snowment 

IDK what they do for ice racing with them to keep them cool, aside from a tunnel enclosure.

we'll look into alternative scratcher options because what he put on there is not working at all.  

edit... maybe these?

Edited by Crnr2Crnr

I ran this setup on my rr and it worked great. It moved the scratcher farther forward than where i originally had them mounted to the rail. the further forward you get, the more snow gets thrown up in the tunnel. With my original setup I would still run hot with both down, with this style i only ever run 1 down

20220311_172834.jpg

• Like 2

My 22 runs like 93 to 104 on snow. On Ice I have to watch it as the temps climb pretty fast so if I know a stretch of icy trails is ahead, I will drop one scratcher and usually all that is needed. I did add the tunnel flares.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, ZR6000RR said:

My 22 runs like 93 to 104 on snow. On Ice I have to watch it as the temps climb pretty fast so if I know a stretch of icy trails is ahead, I will drop one scratcher and usually all that is needed. I did add the tunnel flares.

Perfect, look who's back just in time for this.  :roflcrying:

So, here's what I found.  Yesterday the Procross overheated once in mid thirties temps riding on snow.  Had him ride in front of me for a couple miles and noticed it was blowing a lot of snow past the flap.  Rear torsions were set on '3' by the previous owner.  Turned it down to '1' to see if it made a change to get the flap closer to the ground.  Never overheated once after that and the temps got to the 40's yesterday afternoon.  We're going to test it on '2' today.  After adjusting to '1' it never ran over 136 degrees.

Here's my theory about the Procross running hot.  The taper of the tunnel is higher which gives less enclosure around the rear of the skid to capture snow to actually fall onto the track and hit the coolers.  

Same trails and same conditions at the same time you can see how much snow buildup is on the SnoPro vs the Procross on torsion spring setting '1'

IMG_20230208_113942773_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230208_134114692_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230208_134122700_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230208_133659191_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/8/2023 at 10:52 AM, ZR6000RR said:

How do you like your 22? Is the ride firmer then your previous sled?

12 minutes ago, wrinkly balls said:

How do you like your 22? Is the ride firmer then your previous sled?

Like it alot. Am still adjusting the front arm spring as when I first rode it, the ski pressure was way to high for a single runner. Close to perfect now. Skin's are set to 1 front arm set to 2 and rear shock set at 1. Ride is great! Very little bottoming. Turns flat as all my cats have. 

On 2/8/2023 at 7:34 AM, Cat45 said:

I ran this setup on my rr and it worked great. It moved the scratcher farther forward than where i originally had them mounted to the rail. the further forward you get, the more snow gets thrown up in the tunnel. With my original setup I would still run hot with both down, with this style i only ever run 1 down

20220311_172834.jpg

What setup is that?

2 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

What setup is that?

Between the lines designs brackets and duraflex cables. Moving them farther forward made a huge difference. You can see in the pic the original hole i used and how much further forward they are now

1 hour ago, Cat45 said:

Between the lines designs brackets and duraflex cables. Moving them farther forward made a huge difference. You can see in the pic the original hole i used and how much further forward they are now

Guess I'll be ordering a couple sets. 

• Like 1

conditions were just as shitty and also good in places as yesterday... same temps, not great snow and if we don't get some soon I fear they're going to temporarily shut trails down locally.

but anyhow... on torsion setting '2' he saw a high of 140 and ran quite a ways with it varying between 125-140

then... I set it back to torsion setting '1' which varied between 115-130

the difference of snow blowing out under the flap was quite noticeable since this experiment began.

this all said, we had great conditions Saturday and Sunday and cooling wasn't an issue.

guess we'll see where it goes from here and I've a few things to sort out for him.   

9 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

conditions were just as shitty and also good in places as yesterday... same temps, not great snow and if we don't get some soon I fear they're going to temporarily shut trails down locally.

but anyhow... on torsion setting '2' he saw a high of 140 and ran quite a ways with it varying between 125-140

the difference of snow blowing out under the flap was quite noticeable since this experiment began.

this all said, we had great conditions Saturday and Sunday and cooling wasn't an issue.

guess we'll see where it goes from here and I've a few things to sort out for him.   

Well captain obvious. Yes, dragging the snow flap in the snow does help. many cannot set it at 1 and even ride. You have to look at all the variables. Catching snow along the edge of the trail for instance. Speed makes a difference as well. The faster I ran, the better I cooled. 

7 minutes ago, ZR6000RR said:

Well captain obvious. Yes, dragging the snow flap in the snow does help. many cannot set it at 1 and even ride. You have to look at all the variables. Catching snow along the edge of the trail for instance. Speed makes a difference as well. The faster I ran, the better I cooled. 

jim-carrey-dont-say-it.gif

welcome back... how long is up to you

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

The 18 and newer RXC's temp lights go off at 150°F and running 115-130 isn't uncommon.  Maybe the 17's too, don't remember anymore.

That 15 I was ripping around the ice and running a pretty consistent 160°F.

• Like 1