Is The ProCross Chassis Prone to Overheat?

jdels

10 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

Not always true.  Same exact sled ran went from Cobra to Backcountry and the BC ran significantly cooler.  Obviously compared with a riding buddies sled and not itself so same conditions.  Generally what you say is true, but stiffness and shape can make a difference that will change the results.

Lug flick

:lol:

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2022 at 2:52 PM, Deephaven said:

Not always true.  Same exact sled ran went from Cobra to Backcountry and the BC ran significantly cooler.  Obviously compared with a riding buddies sled and not itself so same conditions.  Generally what you say is true, but stiffness and shape can make a difference that will change the results.

We're still talking about tracks, right? :lol2:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This past weekend I had to replace a scratcher tip I put them in on the skid for the first time this year to see how the sled would react. I did add the tunnel flairs to the sled in the fall. I never saw over 115 F all day long, even running some icy roads for several miles to get to the next trail. Very little snow stuck in the skid. This was on my 2018 that I have ran scratchers down 95% of the time before this and were installed when new. Flairs? I don't know. Temps were in the single digits to - single digits. 

3 hours ago, ZR6000RR said:

This past weekend I had to replace a scratcher tip I put them in on the skid for the first time this year to see how the sled would react. I did add the tunnel flairs to the sled in the fall. I never saw over 115 F all day long, even running some icy roads for several miles to get to the next trail. Very little snow stuck in the skid. This was on my 2018 that I have ran scratchers down 95% of the time before this and were installed when new. Flairs? I don't know. Temps were in the single digits to - single digits. 

600 I assume, 129?

Just now, jdels said:

600 I assume, 129?

Of course a 600. Will never own anything but a cat 600. 129 as well. My 2020 came with flairs and it ran very cool on anything but pure ice. That of course was a 137.

3 minutes ago, ZR6000RR said:

Of course a 600. Will never own anything but a cat 600. 129 as well. My 2020 came with flairs and it ran very cool on anything but pure ice. That of course was a 137.

My 18 800RR goes right to lava any trail, any condition without scratchers.  137 studded.  Been a Cat guy my whole riding life but this one irks me.  Scratchers should not be required.

Edited by jdels

1 hour ago, jdels said:

My 18 800RR goes right to lava any trail, any condition without scratchers.  137 studded.  Been a Cat guy my whole riding life but this one irks me.  Scratchers should not be required.

Do you have actual temp showing?

10 minutes ago, ZR6000RR said:

Do you have actual temp showing?

If you mean on the gauge, yes.  160 and up with no problem.  Scratchers brought it down to 95-110 in all conditions.  There simply is not enough snow to the heat exchanger without the scratchers.

1 minute ago, jdels said:

If you mean on the gauge, yes.  160 and up with no problem.  Scratchers brought it down to 95-110 in all conditions.  There simply is not enough snow to the heat exchanger without the scratchers.

Weird. My 20 ran 98 to 105 except on pure ice. Make sure you are full on coolant. Now that I know my 18 will run without scratchers down, I am happy to say the ice underneath is about a 1/4 of what it was with.

Just now, ZR6000RR said:

Weird. My 20 ran 98 to 105 except on pure ice. Make sure you are full on coolant. Now that I know my 18 will run without scratchers down, I am happy to say the ice underneath is about a 1/4 of what it was with.

Not saying this is the reason, but do you have flares? Only thing I have done different on mine.  Have a set to put on my 22 when I pick it up next fall.

I have a 2002 Polaris with the old “TXL” style heat exchangers under the running boards.  That thing never overheats, no matter how long we let it idle, it’s unbelievable.  I wish I could say the same for my Riot.

The Polaris Edge chassis was pretty bad at overheating, too (but, significantly lighter, and they probably got all their weight savings from the cooling system).

2 minutes ago, p51mstg said:

I have a 2002 Polaris with the old “TXL” style heat exchangers under the running boards.  That thing never overheats, no matter how long we let it idle, it’s unbelievable.  I wish I could say the same for my Riot.

The Polaris Edge chassis was pretty bad at overheating, too (but, significantly lighter, and they probably got all their weight savings from the cooling system).

My F7 is the same.  Blinking light a few times over 11000 miles and still going.

5 minutes ago, ZR6000RR said:

Not saying this is the reason, but do you have flares? Only thing I have done different on mine.  Have a set to put on my 22 when I pick it up next fall.

Might try flares next year if I keep it.  Coolant burped with extreme care and replaced cap. 

18 minutes ago, jdels said:

Might try flares next year if I keep it.  Coolant burped with extreme care and replaced cap. 

It's weird as I run with other pro cross sleds and most dont have scratchers.  Will see this weekend if it stays cool without them. My biggest issue is my front rear shock froze in compression for the start of our ride. Well it did sit in a compressed state for nearly 2 weeks in sub zero temps with 30-40 mph gusts. I know they need servicing, but if I do it now, my season is done. Please hold out to the middle of March.

6 hours ago, jdels said:

Cats 800 is a disaster

3 hours ago, ZR6000RR said:

It's weird as I run with other pro cross sleds and most dont have scratchers.  Will see this weekend if it stays cool without them. My biggest issue is my front rear shock froze in compression for the start of our ride. Well it did sit in a compressed state for nearly 2 weeks in sub zero temps with 30-40 mph gusts. I know they need servicing, but if I do it now, my season is done. Please hold out to the middle of March.

You and all the girls enjoy your 600's and pretend that it is the exact same experience as the 8.  Everyone I know that has had a Ctec 8 is now done with Cat.  The last of the AC hold outs of my friends are changing camp. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

Cats 800 is a disaster

You and all the girls enjoy your 600's and pretend that it is the exact same experience as the 8.  Everyone I know that has had a Ctec 8 is now done with Cat.  The last of the AC hold outs of my friends are changing camp. 

What are you covering up? I have been on numerous other sites and the Ctec 800 is miles more reliable than any 800-850 Polaris. That is before the Cat update. Then the number triples.  Poos 800 was so bad, they make a reliability kit for it by the after market. I dont need to hide my short falls by owning an 800. 600 is more than you can honestly handle. Deep Cravings. BTW, I am guessing you knew none to maybe one. Your to dumb to be accepted in the Cat breatherand. Betting most wont ride with you because of your hate! I will ride with anyone.  Even pull them out of the woos when they are down. Guessing you would force them to buy you a new belt or leave them stranded. Rode with pricks like you before. We moved on. As I will now. Time to ignore the ass hats of the world. Starts with you!

Edited by ZR6000RR
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

Says the guy who said he doesn't know anyone who rides an 8 and they all ride 6's.  Keep making shit up to feel good about your green goggles.

Dont. Minnesota and 50 mph speed limit makes anything bigger a waste of money on purchases and insurance.  We all have big dicks. Dont need to mask it with 200 extra useless CC"s. Yes, you have a small penis! 

1 minute ago, Deephaven said:

Ah, so you are a pussy.  Scared of going faster than 50.  Lol.

....and if you think top end is the reason for more cubic inches you are a bigger pussy than I thought.

600 will break 100 so no. But small dick syndrome is what you have.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

Ah, so you are a pussy.  Scared of going faster than 50.  Lol.

....and if you think top end is the reason for more cubic inches you are a bigger pussy than I thought.

Cubic inches? Wow! Thanks for the schooling. 200 CC's = what in Cu inches again?