Need some help with ProCross ... questions

Bontz

An old high school buddy of mine purchased a couple of newer (I think he said they're 2018's) Cats and asked if I could help him stud both sleds ... which I'm more than happy to do.  My first question though ... I assume these sleds are going to need tunnel protectors - right?  And if they do, I hope the local Cat dealer has some in stock otherwise they may be feeling the pain of the supply chain woes I'm guessing.  The other question I have is, if they don't need protectors I typically don't remove the snow flap as there's enough room to work with the way a Polaris snow flap is set up.  Can I expect the same out of the Cat, or is it easier to just tip it on its side and go from there - or taking the rear suspension bolts out and dropping the rear of the skid/track to work on it that way?

I'm more concerned with the need of tunnel protectors, and hopefully they just slide in if that's the case.  That also will make the stud install question pretty simple, since the snow flap will be removed.

Yes on tunnel protectors. Country Cat should have them in stock if your local dealer does not.  You’ll need to remove the flap, 4-3/16 rivets to drill out and just replace them with SS bolts and nuts (or similar) may as well stud while it’s off. I’ve done it every way there is I think but just jack up the rear and there’s plenty of room to get in there….with or without flap.

38 minutes ago, mnstang said:

I'd drill some holes in those protectors for the weight savings you can feel.

Nah - I just figured I'd keep the snowflap removed.  Weight savings, plus it looks super cool!!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Zambroski said:

Do you need them if just doing the center belt?  

IDK as I haven't done one.

@Not greg b did on his RR

9 hours ago, Cat45 said:

Make sure you get the right protectors for the year. I'm pretty sure 18+ have different protectors than the earlier years

They did change quite a bit.  The old version will not work at all.

The newer style should also come with epoxy adhesive as mentioned.

The center one receives the most contact from track and studs.  I have been running 1.25" tracks and roughly 1/4" stud penetration.  There is no way I'd run the combo without the protectors.  The center section is getting hit hard in the front at times.

• Like 2

Idk if the sleds are done yet or not but I haven’t had to take the snowflap off a sled yet to do them. They’ll slide right in from the front. When you put the self tapping screw in push them up past the end of the heat exchanger to be safe (I know you’re not an idiot but I know someone who put the self tapper into the heat exchanger and then let the epoxy dry so it couldn’t be fixed and had to buy a new exchanger for a zero mile sled). See if the dealer has a kit and three protector pieces by themselves. The gun and epoxy make the kit pretty pricey and a tube of the glue will do 3 sleds. 

8 hours ago, Palu49 said:

Idk if the sleds are done yet or not but I haven’t had to take the snowflap off a sled yet to do them. They’ll slide right in from the front. When you put the self tapping screw in push them up past the end of the heat exchanger to be safe (I know you’re not an idiot but I know someone who put the self tapper into the heat exchanger and then let the epoxy dry so it couldn’t be fixed and had to buy a new exchanger for a zero mile sled). See if the dealer has a kit and three protector pieces by themselves. The gun and epoxy make the kit pretty pricey and a tube of the glue will do 3 sleds. 

:lol:

Oopsie!!!!

• Like 1

no holes to drill

don't do anything stupid, read the directions, steps 5 and 6 make it clear the screws go up behind the cooler, not into it.

we stud around a hundred sleds a year, never remove the flap

Edited by krom

On 1/3/2022 at 9:14 PM, Zambroski said:

Just a three piece for the rear section.  A couple of holes to drill and fill and a line or two of epoxy.  Easy as pie!

847474F8-13C6-425E-B52D-9C82A8D5E334.jpeg

Are those screws run into the heat exchanger?? sure looks like the aren't where they belong..

tunnel protector kit.jpg

On 1/3/2022 at 2:17 PM, Bontz said:

Nah - I just figured I'd keep the snowflap removed.  Weight savings, plus it looks super cool!!!

Weight savings?  I do it to roost any fucker that is close to me.

51 minutes ago, krom said:

no holes to drill

don't do anything stupid, read the directions, steps 5 and 6 make it clear the screws go up behind the cooler, not into it.

we stud around a hundred sleds a year, never remove the flap

Hmmm, sounds like you've read the instructions a few times.

14 hours ago, krom said:

Are those screws run into the heat exchanger?? sure looks like the aren't where they belong..

tunnel protector kit.jpg

Shit…that may explain why I’m seeing drips of colored water coming down from my flap!

naww….thanks for the good eye and looking out for a brother though.  It does looks suspicious in those pics.:bc:

1A7C9621-BA8B-414A-B527-C0D045171F1D.jpeg

• Like 1

On 1/9/2022 at 7:19 PM, Deephaven said:

Weight savings?  I do it to roost any fucker that is close to me.

Hmmm, sounds like you've read the instructions a few times.

That way when I get someone asking a stupid question I can say that the answer is in the directions, and be right

10 hours ago, Zambroski said:

Shit…that may explain why I’m seeing drips of colored water coming down from my flap!

naww….thanks for the good eye and looking out for a brother though.  It does looks suspicious in those pics.:bc:

1A7C9621-BA8B-414A-B527-C0D045171F1D.jpeg

Just checking....

You can't imagine the amount of stupid shit I've seen

1 hour ago, krom said:

That way when I get someone asking a stupid question I can say that the answer is in the directions, and be right

Just checking....

You can't imagine the amount of stupid shit I've seen

Yeah, anytime installation instructions have the words, “Self tapping screw” and “heat exchanger” in them, best to read them carefully, twice!

Thanks for the help fellas. Two sleds and 192 studs later, they’re ready to let their wives ride & feel a bit safer. Having 3 guys on the project is definitely the ticket 👍🏻

7C42439C-1304-4963-88A0-B2B14116D8A7.jpeg

A2048775-D8F0-42E7-8D16-03327C4960C1.jpeg

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Bontz said:

Thanks for the help fellas. Two sleds and 192 studs later, they’re ready to let their wives ride & feel a bit safer. Having 3 guys on the project is definitely the ticket 👍🏻

7C42439C-1304-4963-88A0-B2B14116D8A7.jpeg

A2048775-D8F0-42E7-8D16-03327C4960C1.jpeg

192 studs does 2 sleds? that's normally halfway there on one for me, lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tommcat said:

192 studs does 2 sleds? that's normally halfway there on one for me, lol

We were commenting on that last night as we finished up the first sled ... how 2-per is a pretty easy install, and thank God we weren't doing more (or using doubles)!! LOL