Anybody compare the SRViper to ZR 6000 Ltd?

p51mstg

On paper, the Cat 6000 Ltd and Viper look very similar.  Has anyone ridden both?

I’m curious…. Looking for something smooth and easy going for my wife.  I’ve heard that the Yamaha triple 1049 is smooth and quiet, but don’t have any direct experience.

• 1 month later...

Chassis are nearly identical.  I am sure you are aware that the Viper and 7000 class are nearly the same sled other than some component changes.

I have a Viper LTX (137) and ride with friends with AC 6000 and 8000 class as well as the 9000 class machines.  Components, ergos, seats, lighting, skis are all the same.  Weight and setup are the main differences.  And the 6000 is where a person really notices that.  It will feel like a much lighter sled as it is.  Performance is on par with other 2-stroke 600's.  The Viper/7000 class sleds will ride solid on the trail when setup correctly.  If you are only a trail rider, many like that weight as it actually smooths out the ride, but it will be more work in the shoulders to handle it around the tight and twisty trails.

That being said, the viper is my daughter's primary sled.  I put my wife on a 600 class sled this past weekend, instead of the viper, and she was very pleased.  If I were to do it again, I would probably go with a 600 2 stroke.  But the 1049 is so smooth, but it's hardly a differentiator anymore.  Fuel mileage used to be a thing, but the 600 Etecs in our group will do better.  

Now the 8000/9000 class sleds are a different story.  Again, ergos, features etc are mostly all the same.  But additional power will make an occasional rider nervous as they will have to do more feathering of that throttle.  The 800 has near four stroke power band and the 9000 is over the top.  Along with that 9000 is the weight, but again, that's all in the setup.

I don't think you can go wrong with 6000/7000 class sleds for her. Once setup the 7000/Viper can be very light feeling on the trail as well.  The engine will run forever.  There are many happy couples trail riding a pair of vipers and don't ever care to give them up.  There is a chance that the EPS may come down to the Viper for 2023, but I would not hold my breath.  And AC has dropped the 7000 class.  But the used market is strong on those sleds too.  One of my buddies bought a ZR7000 years ago, and had no idea it had a Yamaha engine in it.  Some people. (smile)

Good luck,

• Like 2

• 1 month later...