What sled were you most excited for?

Bontz

I was going through some old SnowTech & other snowmobile magazines, and seeing some other online stuff with older iron topics ... I came across an ad for the introduction of the Firecat.  And it got me thinking back to how excited I was to have ordered that sled.  Waiting for it to show up after seeing the demo runs at Hay Days in 2002 where they put up some damn impressive numbers.  I have to say, of all the sleds I've ordered, the Firecat is still the one sled I couldn't wait to take delivery.  It's always fun getting a new one, and I loved my ZR's and various Polaris sleds over the past 10'ish years.  But that Firecat was what had me the most excited to take delivery of in the fall of 2002.  I remember my uncle getting his Wildcat 650 back in 1988 and that was probably the next closest thing I remember to being super excited for a new arrival.

As I sit here, WAITING FOR MY SNOW CHECK TO ACTUALLY ARRIVE ... I can't help but think of the good times when sleds actually arrived in time :wall:

• Like 1

My very first (bought by me, myself and I) sled.  1986 Yamaha phazer.  I’ll never forget those two days waiting for me and my old man to go pick it up.  Wowza!

Sure, not much by today’s standards but back then…woooweee!  

• Like 1

I've only ordered one new one and it came January 15th last year!  LOL

But the two I can remember most were the 1992 Indy 500 Classic I bought, as Zam said, first sled I purchased myself. 

The sled I really couldn't wait to get was the 2018 XCR Switchback 800 I found with 240 miles on it, 4 hour drive away, in April, for what was even then a GREAT price.  Being a high mile trail rider, that sled had me pumped all summer, and the season didn't disappoint being able to put on over 6000 miles that next season.  Good times! 

The one sled I wish my father had never sold was his 1973 TX 500 Limited - would still like to find another, but that's all but impossible now.

• Like 3

• Gold Member

My Blue and Yellow 2002 Edge X 600...

First Snowmobile I bought completely on my own. I was 19. Bought it from Shark Cycle before he went to Jail for fraud from Polaris lmao.... Traded my clapped out KFX 400 and $2 grand cash..... i beat the piss outta that Sled, strickly rode it on ungroomed tobacco fields and sand pits in CT with hardly enough snow. Crashed it into a few trees more than once , flipped it a few times,  you name it ...never let me down.

The Kid who bought it still has it and he rides it up in NH and Maine now. He actually just texted me this Pic a few days ago. 

635205425.jpg

• Like 1

Probably the 2002 ZR440 Sno Pro or the 2008 Sno Pro 600.

We were luck ("lucky?") and ended up getting 2 of the 2002's delivered to the dealer.  When we went to pick them up, they had both of them out of the crate, assembled, and a crowd around each of them.  No one had ever seen anything like it before.

When I got the 2008, I'd ride it around the area a bunch and it would turn heads everywhere it went.  Not knowing what I was doing at first, that thing was a bucking bronco if you rode it fast in the ditches.

I'll even throw in the 2015 RXC.  A race sled with EFI, oil injection, and engine reverse?!?!?!  Sign me up!

1 hour ago, EvilBird said:

First Snowmobile I bought completely on my own. I was 19. Bought it from Shark Cycle before he went to Jail for fraud from Polaris lmao.... Traded my clapped out KFX 400 and $2 grand cash..... i beat the piss outta that Sled, strickly rode it on ungroomed tobacco fields and sand pits in CT with hardly enough snow. Crashed it into a few trees more than once , flipped it a few times,  you name it ...never let me down.

The Kid who bought it still has it and he rides it up in NH and Maine now. He actually just texted me this Pic a few days ago. 

635205425.jpg

Lol, thats right near me. In fact, closer to CKF's old place here. Want me to drive down there and throw snowballs at him. :wink k

1 hour ago, EvilBird said:

635205425.jpg

I can remember a buddy of mine so excited to get his, a 700!  At the first place they stopped at in Northern Sconnie, there were 5 of them already in the parking lot..... He said "Fuck, I bought a Taurus...."  Not that it wasn't a good sled, there were just a ton of them that year!

• Haha 1

• Gold Member
Just now, Mag6240 said:

I can remember a buddy of mine so excited to get his, a 700!  At the first place they stopped at in Northern Sconnie, there were 5 of them already in the parking lot..... He said "Fuck, I bought a Taurus...."  Not that it wasn't a good sled, there were just a ton of them that year!

Yeah there are a lot of em....at the time I had never seen one like it so I thought I had a Gem lol....then a year later id see em all over the place  

• Like 1

Finding my 1994 XCR 600 with only a little over 300 miles on.  The guy didn't like the low seat so he only rode it one weekend and then bought a 1994 XLT Special and put pipes on.  He put the XCR in his warehouse and forgot about it until I asked whatever happened to his 94 XCR.  I still have it and still a little over 300 miles on it.

Otherwise my 2022 XCR.

• Like 1

I haven't snow checked a sled since 95,now I buy off the rack/dealer stock and I'm an impulse buyer. Last February I went to the dealer for some parts and seen a new 850 all black and shiny, bought that and put the parts on hold.

But I was excited for that XLT, I new it wouldn't be all that fast, but it sure rode alot nicer then my old 650.

My 500 sno pro and 2014 800rr are probably my most favorite sleds of recent times i owned. I absolutely hate the firecat/crossfire series of sleds after having a few. They were cool looking and fast in a straight line but that was all they had going for them. I never had these but thought they were cool at the time and couldn’t wait to see them on the trails. the original 03 rev, the 2 stroke thunder cats, xcr800s triples, Machz triples, the early 2000s red and yellow pro-x 600, 97 zr440/580, and the 02 cat cross country 800 in black. 

First brand new sled, was my 98 SX 600 Yammie. That was super exciting. I was 20 and the 1987 Exciter that I bought used the fall before that turned into a pile (huge surprise). So, the day after Labor Day in 97, I went to the local Yammie dealer and put money down on one they had coming in for stock. Let’s just say the SX wasn’t anymore impressive than the Exciter was. I REALLY wanted an SRX but couldn’t swing it. 

I was most excited to buy my 2001 XC 600 after selling that Yammie. Haven’t bought new since 2009 now. Don’t know if I ever will. The prices are out in left field for as much as I get to ride anymore. I could flip my ‘21 Indy and make money on it right now. I like those sorts of buys now. 

• Like 1

2007 Crossfire 1000 Sno Pro was mine, MAN I was excited to feel that 1000.  Bought that sled to join the 120 club.  Modified that bitch with a Boondocker, air intake, D&D Y-pipe, BMP Fat Ass pipe, and I clutched that fucker, maybe some other shit as well I don't remember.  Well after all that the POS was a belt muncher and the diamond drive was garbage.  Bolts fell off of the fucking thing.  Well after 1400 miles I was sick of the POS blowing belts and DD's so I got rid of it never to buy another Cat.

06300315.JPG

06300309.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, A05GSHO said:

2007 Crossfire 1000 Sno Pro was mine, MAN I was excited to feel that 1000.  Bought that sled to join the 120 club.  Modified that bitch with a Boondocker, air intake, D&D Y-pipe, BMP Fat Ass pipe, and I clutched that fucker, maybe some other shit as well I don't remember.  Well after all that the POS was a belt muncher and the diamond drive was garbage.  Bolts fell off of the fucking thing.  Well after 1400 miles I was sick of the POS blowing belts and DD's so I got rid of it never to buy another Cat.

06300315.JPG

06300309.JPG

Almost pulled the trigger on a 700 x fire sp when I was going through my Fusion 900 debacle with Polaris. I really liked those sleds. 

7 hours ago, EvilBird said:

635205425.jpg

Snow checked an 800!!

They sold a shitload of blue x’s!!!

couldn’t wait to get my first snowcheck a 1993 xlt!!rode the hell out of that thing!!piped it and put 12k trouble free miles on her!!hell had damn near 100 miles on it before it snowed in fall of 92!!First time I rode in Hayward area and first time at Phipps!!😁

some great riding in se mn in the early 90’s!!

All I have left of those memories are the helmets!!

think I have coats somewhere?

D9285379-548A-4C52-8D29-DC8DBE2A3D66.jpeg

Edited by X2700
  • Like 1

My older first cousin had a 1978 Polaris 440TX that was the sled that got me hooked into sledding, my fondest memory was watching it break the track loose and blow snow, never seen a snowmobile do that before that sled… WOW my first sight of POWER!

My greatest sled was 2001 ZR800LE I was in my prime, bent the foot rails into banana’s even with the metal strengthening bars hammered into the outer loops, had to make aluminum L brackets to keep them somewhat straight. That thing through deep moguls and tight twists was gone… come out of the fast twisted trails, undo the front skid knob shock 1 1/2 turns pound the mogs, come out of that into the flats, twist it back down,and rail the flats! Shock Blew seals every other week, but it was the greatest thing on snow until the 03 REV.

Looking forward to AC redemption 2023.:guzzle:

Cheers… looking forward to 2022 SX… lots of prep and training on test tracks!

Go Dylan Go!

:bounce:

• Like 2

Favorite sled was a 04 Rev 800 that we picked up in the crate and put together with care. Heat soaked it a number of times and had Sylvain Laflamme do some clutch work. Ran great and surprised many that thought that they would smoke it.

• Thanks 1

I always wanted a 04 440 sno pro, I was pretty stoked when I found a 05 on the other side of Canada, in my budget, the same week my buddy was driving though. 

Every one told me how miserable they are... I love it still. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1