Busy weekend coming

I work right on 51/39 N/S and if the amount of rigs with sleds heading to Northern Wisconsin and Upper Michigan is any indication on a Tuesday afternoon the trails will be hammered and it's going to be a shit show 'up there' by the weekend.  

Of course the local tourism boards will say 'the trails are open and great' but we all know the reality of that kind of marketing hype. 

Not to be morbid but I predict two deaths this weekend due to New Year's, sketchy ice and inexperienced riders. 

Stay home!!!!

• Sad 1

We don't have snow down here, so anyone looking to ride doesn't have much of an option but to "head north" to ride.  Not to mention, it's the biggest weekend of the year up there anyway, so this is always going to be a shit show weekend.  The good news is, there's actually SNOW up there this time around.  I know of guys who've burned up hyfax and carbides riding through mud and rocks some years over this week/weekend.

• Like 1

My profile pic is from a trip that a buddy and I did 3-4 years ago, got up there before the snow hit, and stayed a week (We couldn't get out of there for 5-6 days even if we wanted to!).  Unless I do that, I'll wait until the Sunday after New Years (Jan 2 this year) to head north, and hopefully have most of the trails to myself the next week....

• Like 1

Trails look good around our place up Nth and what I'm hearing from the groomer operators they are shaping up nice.  I was on the fence about taking a ride up this morning and coming back Thursday for some new years even commitments we have.  I still have some shocks to rebuild and I'm sure they will be calling to see when they are done so staying home to get everything caught up on.  Plan now is to head up Sunday morning and come home Wednesday and see what the following weekend brings.

Just got home from cleaning up the groomer and on the highway seen lots of trails heading Nth.  Hopefully its a safe weekend.   

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Doug said:

Trails look good around our place up Nth and what I'm hearing from the groomer operators they are shaping up nice.  I was on the fence about taking a ride up this morning and coming back Thursday for some new years even commitments we have.  I still have some shocks to rebuild and I'm sure they will be calling to see when they are done so staying home to get everything caught up on.  Plan now is to head up Sunday morning and come home Wednesday and see what the following weekend brings.

Just got home from cleaning up the groomer and on the highway seen lots of trails heading Nth.  Hopefully its a safe weekend.   

Same - don't have a set destination until Wednesday, then its to the North Shore!

23 minutes ago, Mag6240 said:

Same - don't have a set destination until Wednesday, then its to the North Shore!

The North Shore will be good this weekend with the dump of snow they got up there and more snow coming today I think you will be having a great time. I was there Monday and in some spots they started to groom.

20211227_142353.jpg

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

I work right on 51/39 N/S and if the amount of rigs with sleds heading to Northern Wisconsin and Upper Michigan is any indication on a Tuesday afternoon the trails will be hammered and it's going to be a shit show 'up there' by the weekend.  

Of course the local tourism boards will say 'the trails are open and great' but we all know the reality of that kind of marketing hype. 

Not to be morbid but I predict two deaths this weekend due to New Year's, sketchy ice and inexperienced riders. 

Stay home!!!!

Could not fucking pay me to be in the UP over new yrs fucking hell . 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ez ryder said:

Could not fucking pay me to be in the UP over new yrs fucking hell . 

Yeah there is not much snow up here. People are posting crazy deep snow pictures of their up mafia mountain sleds and the snow is may be bumper high. I would imagine it’s a shit show in the trails by now 

I'm riding north of home tomorrow, then heading south for family fun time.

Promise to sweep all the corners barren of snow before the weekend warriors from southern Wisco and Northern Illinois and their mountain sleds show up.

:lol: 

8 hours ago, MnDean said:

The North Shore will be good this weekend with the dump of snow they got up there and more snow coming today I think you will be having a great time. I was there Monday and in some spots they started to groom.

20211227_142353.jpg

you get bonus points for adult sized windshield

12 hours ago, mnstang said:

Glad I don't go to tourism areas.

I mean!  Those are the best riding areas!

Yeah you are supposed to boon dock people’s front lawns with a mountain sled for clout on instagram. Forget tourist areas 

• Haha 2

I’m hoping to put on some miles west of the Iron Range this weekend and into next week.  Sounds like a really good base, but swamps aren’t frozen yet.  Probably no groomers yet, where I typically ride.

1 hour ago, Not greg b said:

Yeah you are supposed to boon dock people’s front lawns with a mountain sled for clout on instagram. Forget tourist areas 

Only if they live on a trail.

12 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

Quite a few sleds out here in flat land central MN.  Ran across the Trailing Arm Mafia showing off their color - Carhart.  

Here in Michigan, those are called U.P. Leathers.

Taking a hard pass on riding anywhere this weekend. You’d have to go to the UP and they’re already in a full blown shit show up there with not great snow. I’d ride the side trails with the wife, while we are up to my in-laws place Thursday-Friday, if we had rideable snow but we don’t. Instead, we are going to look at property. This is just the first, of many, steps in my plan to rid my barn of that 7,000 lb house on wheels that costs WAY to much money to buy and use. I’m probably not going to get very far with that but hey, if she takes over the note on it/pays it off without me, then whatever. I want a place of our own up north somewhere. 

Edited by SayatodaU.P.eh?
  • Like 1