evinrude e tec

6 hours ago, snowstorm said:

anyone have one? likes dislikes? i bought a 150 a while back it runs great just is not hp enough. any one know of a good used or new 225 or 250 25" shaft

Bring only made parts for a short run for there shit when they still had a division . Prob going to be a real bitch finding parts for those in 10 yrs 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Beavis and Butt-Head said:

I wouldn't buy them now,   BRP quit making those. 

8 hours ago, Ez ryder said:

Bring only made parts for a short run for there shit when they still had a division . Prob going to be a real bitch finding parts for those in 10 yrs 

12 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

Nightmare to work on if you have any issues.

Everything I was going to say. Personally, and although you can find problems with any outboard manu's engines today, I wouldn't touch one with a 10 foot pole now that they've been discontinued.  

35 minutes ago, irv said:

Everything I was going to say. Personally, and although you can find problems with any outboard manu's engines today, I wouldn't touch one with a 10 foot pole now that they've been discontinued.  

I've got a 200 & 225 Optimax, they stopped making those a few years ago now. The 225 has been a nightmare, been trying to make it right going on 6 years, last Summer I finally took it to a Mercury repair dealership, after 3 days they charged me almost $700 and said they don't know what's wrong.

• Sad 1

every one seems to be pushing suzuki or yamaha. talked to a dealer today that was approved as a yamaha dealer. that would make 5 in about 50 miles. suzuki dealer says they all have corrosion problems now but the Japanese motors more so than rude or mec. this would be in saltwater 

On 12/28/2021 at 9:56 AM, XCR1250 said:

I've got a 200 & 225 Optimax, they stopped making those a few years ago now. The 225 has been a nightmare, been trying to make it right going on 6 years, last Summer I finally took it to a Mercury repair dealership, after 3 days they charged me almost $700 and said they don't know what's wrong.

You need Bens help. He's pretty good.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, snowstorm said:

every one seems to be pushing suzuki or yamaha. talked to a dealer today that was approved as a yamaha dealer. that would make 5 in about 50 miles. suzuki dealer says they all have corrosion problems now but the Japanese motors more so than rude or mec. this would be in saltwater 

I would go with suzuki , make sure you go with their white model ( it's made more for sea runs specifically) 

• Like 1

• Gold Member

Suzuki is super underrated in Outboard market. Id buy Suzuki or Yamaha. The newer Mercs are not bad either. 

Saw tons of ETEC problems when I worked at the dealer. But they were fast. A 140 Suzuki vs 150 Etec same Boat felt like a 50hp difference. 2 stroke powa 

Sure some will laugh given there reputation in the past but Tohatsu has come a long, long way in recent years. I bought this pair and installed in the spring.

Four cylinder 115 EFI was flawless this year, and the 9.9 kicker has EFI as well, was a great replacement for my 100 2 stroke Yamaha/8 horse kicker

297673477_2new.thumb.jpg.39989eacdbada685a4449c0d6d56e5f8.jpg

Should mention they came with a 5 year warranty

• Like 2

• Gold Member
2 minutes ago, oldslowsledder said:

Sure some will laugh given there reputation in the past but Tohatsu has come a long, long way in recent years. I bought this pair and installed in the spring.

Four cylinder 115 EFI was flawless this year, and the 9.9 kicker has EFI as well, was a great replacement for my 100 2 stroke Yamaha/8 horse kicker

297673477_2new.thumb.jpg.39989eacdbada685a4449c0d6d56e5f8.jpg

Should mention they came with a 5 year warranty

A lot of the smaller Merc outboards were made by Tohatsu ...not sure if they still are. 

2 minutes ago, EvilBird said:

A lot of the smaller Merc outboards were made by Tohatsu ...not sure if they still are. 

Yep sure were. For some strange reason up here in Canada we could only get up to a 115 Tohatsu, you guys up to 250hp. They are releasing a 140

for our market this coming spring, have order one and will flip the 115

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, EvilBird said:

Just like Yamaha made a lot of outboards for Mercury until around 2006-07 I believe? With today's engines in everything from cars, trucks, tractors, it's hard to tell who makes what for who anymore.

• Like 1

• Gold Member
Just now, irv said:

Just like Yamaha made a lot of outboards for Mercury until around 2006-07 I believe? With today's engines in everything from cars, trucks, tractors, it's hard to tell who makes what for who anymore.

Yeah thats right I forgot about that, I think it was the smaller 2 strokes....Merc just couldn't make a good Outboard for awhile there.

Seems like they are doing well nowadays esp with the 400R-450R . 

• Like 1

• Gold Member
2 minutes ago, awful knawful said:

Yes and I think some of the Evinrude too?

Possibly....I remember the Johnson Four strokes where just Rebadged Suzuki's lmao

The Marine industry is hilarious they all use eachother when needed. 

Edited by EvilBird

i stopped in at a tohatsu dealer . he dose not stock anything over 150hp he caters to the lobster fishermen so he sells mostly under 20 hp for there skiffs to get to there big boat on a mooring. also said all there big motors are assembled by tohatsu using honda parts. the other story was honda had so much corrosion problems they went to tohatsu to solve them . talked to a merc dealer nothing in stock its order only lead time 1 to 6 months