Snowmobile Innovation in the past decade

13 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

I'd be a little surprised if half or more could.  

Remote start in there sometime too.  02 ZL's maybe?  Sabercats?

remote on 2 strokes in 04, maybe earlier on the 660..  The brain cells responsible for remembering that have long since died of alcohol poisoning though

6 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

and the first 'production' 4S sled

but the past DECADE ffs

ahhhhhhh, Mid-Sized snowmobiles?  nope!  seat foam that isn't like sitting in a pile of sheep shit?  nope!

the list goes on... 

:) 

Yup, thats why I was replying to the question of when the heated seat came out, not adding it..

But a super modern, ultra light weight single with efi, multi stage exhaust valves, exhaust temp sensor, counter balanced, is a hell of a lot more innovative than just gluing a sled together.

Edited by krom
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, krom said:

remote on 2 strokes in 04, maybe earlier on the 660..  The brain cells responsible for remembering that have long since died of alcohol poisoning though

Yup, thats why I was replying to the question of when the heated seat came out, not adding it..

But a super modern, ultra light weight single with efi, multi stage exhaust valves, exhaust temp sensor, counter balanced, is a hell of a lot more innovative than just gluing a sled together.

you just let me know when Cat figures out how to Loctite and bubble gum a PTO bearing into place

:lol:

wait, what year did Doo start all the IsoFlex lunacy?

Just now, Crnr2Crnr said:

you just let me know when Cat figures out how to Loctite and bubble gum a PTO bearing into place

:lol:

wait, what year did Doo start all the IsoFlex lunacy?

think it was on the triples in the 90's. 

I know that when they switched the twins from RV to cylinder reed, they got isoflex bearings too.

20 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

the Doo recoil failure thread had me thinking about some of the innovative ideas that have come to production in the past decade

here's three I feel are significant

So what is the deal on this?

https://patents.google.com/patent/US7400053?oq=pearl+wilson+polaris

9 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

initial application in 05 - anticipated expiration 2025

edit

ATV shit

FIG. 1 is a perspective view including enlarged detailed schematics of an exemplary ATV 10 according to one embodiment of the present disclosure. FIG. 1 illustrates ATV 10 including a straddle seat 

FIG. 1 is a perspective view including enlarged detailed schematics of an exemplary ATV, according to one embodiment of the present disclosure.

Edited by Crnr2Crnr

7 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

My tiller has a 150 etec, been great so far.  No regrets....and I love the auto winterizing 

Seeing this post in another thread ... how does BRP's automatic fogging feature work?  I mean, I get that it over oils everything when pushing the button, but how does the 2-stroke oil coat everything and stick like fogging oil?  Or is it really just a gimmick?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mnstang said:

I've been cranking up my oil pump before storage for longer than etec has.  Guess I'm the innovator.

Yep, I did that with my ZR & Firecat too.  But then after those sleds, I chose to start my snowmobile once a month throughout the offseason - gotta get that 2-stroke smell going!  But still, there is a difference between fogging oil and plain old injection oil ... and after some period of time the injection oil would seem to lose the value of being used as fogging oil?  No?? :dunno:

4 minutes ago, Bontz said:

Seeing this post in another thread ... how does BRP's automatic fogging feature work?  I mean, I get that it over oils everything when pushing the button, but how does the 2-stroke oil coat everything and stick like fogging oil?  Or is it really just a gimmick?

It seems to be a better than doing nothing.  Fogging oil and injection oil are differently two different applications.  Fogging oil being more of a coating of components and injection oil more of a lubricant to moving components.  

Still better than doing nothing.

9 minutes ago, Bontz said:

It pumps extra oil, oil coats everything, engine is fogged...

Quality 2 stroke oil stays in place for a long time...

8 hours ago, Zambroski said:

2010 Polaris RUSH – The Wait is OVER! - Snowtechmagazine.com

The “terrain dominator” was so innovative that the government demanded that Polaris quit producing it. Too many minds were being blown and overwhelming the health care system. You can’t have a ”game changer” like that pulling trail wheelies during COVID times. Are you insane? Sadly the accessory rack division at Polaris was also shut down as a result. 

Edited by AK440
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Bontz said:

Yep, I did that with my ZR & Firecat too.  But then after those sleds, I chose to start my snowmobile once a month throughout the offseason - gotta get that 2-stroke smell going!  But still, there is a difference between fogging oil and plain old injection oil ... and after some period of time the injection oil would seem to lose the value of being used as fogging oil?  No?? :dunno:

I use special two stroke oil.  If only we had a threaded to discuss it..

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, awful knawful said:

WTF does a race team have to do with snow trackers?

They fucking work.

Race Teams typically use the best products available.  So show us one race team in SX, XC, Enduro, MIRA, Iron Dog, Cain's Quest or any series on the planet that uses them, if you can I'll completely STFU up that junk.

on what?  a loaded coal barge? 

lmao... here it is https://www.hardcoresledder.com/threads/warning-snow-trackers-dangerous-3rd-accident.620186/

https://www.snowtracker.com/snowtraker/This-is-to-be-read-very-attentively-befor-installation-agressive.pdf

https://www.snowtracker.com/snowtraker/This-is-to-be-read-very-attentively-befor-installation-semi-agressive.pdf

you ever put Snow Trackers on anything in your shop @Tommcat?  have anyone else reading this ever bolted this crap on your sled?  

tff :lol:

47 minutes ago, mnstang said:

I've been cranking up my oil pump before storage for longer than etec has.  Guess I'm the innovator.

same, easy on a manual lever mechanical pump

electric oil pump?

40 minutes ago, Doug said:

It seems to be a better than doing nothing.  Fogging oil and injection oil are differently two different applications.  Fogging oil being more of a coating of components and injection oil more of a lubricant to moving components.  

Still better than doing nothing.

agree

outboard gets Stabil in the fuel before the season ends, douse the carbs to kill the engine, pull the plugs and fog the cylinders.  come summer-ish, starts right up.

Edited by Crnr2Crnr

1 minute ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

on what?  

you ever put Snow Trackers on anything in your shop @Tommcat?

same, easy on a manual lever mechanical pump

electric oil pump?

agree

outboard gets Stabil in the fuel before the season ends, douse the carbs to kill the engine, pull the plugs and fog the cylinders.  come summer-ish, starts right up.

That one I fog like a chump

12 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

I'd definitely get 'shot' on a sled when I get frail and old and can't pull start my sled.

Edit (how long until the patent for Doo runs out?)

Idk which manufacturer had a heated seat first or when but that would be nice to keep the load in my Depends from freezing as well.

The shot is nice . Not sure I would need it on a Dimond pounder i don't really stop that much on the trail to wear my shoulder out . But it was tge #1 reason I bought my summit . I had been having shoulder issues for a yr when I got it . 

It has its ups and can be sort of a pita from time to time . And a lot of guys it becomes worthless because it can't find the sweet spot in a reasonable amount of time or at all . 

Some times mine can take over 10 to 25 seconds may not sound awful buy when sitting thete with your finger on it for that long knowing if you let off you have to just wait again you just say fuck it and pull . But call it 80% of the time you hold it a few seconds and it fires 🔥

Now using shot is cool alpha is great just to bad the fr is still a diver when you let off .

2 hours ago, krom said:

It is not fogging oil you know fogging oil is sticky.  

But really how hard was it to use a old coat hanger and pull up the oil pump lever as sled ran on the trailer in the spring 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, krom said:

Yeah, I tried mine once just to see (I prefer to start every two weeks or so). The amount of oil it dumps is massive.  Holy crap.  Not a bad way to summarize if you ask me.  

It's not necessarily innovative, and I absolutely know I'll get mocked for saying it ... but it's still giving credit where credit is due.

Those rides Polaris would host where they'd have a group of riders from HCS go ride the next model year sleds, really was pretty smart on their part.  I know the diehard Cat guys despised it, but let's be honest .... had Cat done the same thing, and HCS guys participated, it would have been viewed as pretty cool.  Polaris got a LOT of free advertisement out of that deal, and before anyone says, "Yeah, but it was just a bunch of homers who already rode the Polaris brand praising those sleds" ... remember that we had the likes of Jester, Ashley, and Wolfie on those rides (in other words, non Cat people).

So say whatever you want about it, but it was effective.  I know I've seen more people switching from Cat to Polaris than the other way around over the past 3-4 years. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Bontz said:

It's not necessarily innovative, and I absolutely know I'll get mocked for saying it ... but it's still giving credit where credit is due.

Those rides Polaris would host where they'd have a group of riders from HCS go ride the next model year sleds, really was pretty smart on their part.  I know the diehard Cat guys despised it, but let's be honest .... had Cat done the same thing, and HCS guys participated, it would have been viewed as pretty cool.  Polaris got a LOT of free advertisement out of that deal, and before anyone says, "Yeah, but it was just a bunch of homers who already rode the Polaris brand praising those sleds" ... remember that we had the likes of Jester, Ashley, and Wolfie on those rides (in other words, non Cat people).

So say whatever you want about it, but it was effective.  I know I've seen more people switching from Cat to Polaris than the other way around over the past 3-4 years. 

I would have done one for any brand.  Not sure they'd appreciate my style of constructive criticism.

Cat hasn't had much to get excited about in a while though.

Wonder wtf Snowtrax is going to ride and review this winter with the macheen shortage.

Edited by Crnr2Crnr